+ Post New Thread
Mac Thread, OSX Software in Technical; Hi, I was wondering what the best way to deploy software on osx is. We use a windows 2003 server ...

Thank Post

OSX Software

Hi, I was wondering what the best way to deploy software on osx is. We use a windows 2003 server and joined them all to ADDS but when we install software as the admins manually it doesnt give the students icons :S. The integration is a very good step but if i could have more pointers. The only way i could also get the proxy settings to change was to copy the admins safari settings etc to the osx template for new users on each pc. Then when a new user logs in for the first time they get the new settings

Thanks

Thank Post
    It sounds like you're looking to do several things. Let me see if I understand completely.

1 - Easily deploy new software
    2 - By default, make icons appear in Dock when AD users log in
    3 - By default, apply certain user-based preferences/settings when AD users log in

Does that sound about right?

How you go about this would probably depend on how many Macs you have and how much you want to spend. There are enterprise solutions like JAMF's Casper Suite that would allow you to do all of the above. However, smaller setting could probably use Apple Remote Desktop to deploy packaged software and local MCX preferences for user settings/preferences.

Thank Post
    ok thats a great start yes those things are exactly what im trying to accomplish. the thing that most interested me that you said is "Apple Remote Desktop to deploy packaged software" isnt that just like windows remote desktop ? sorry for my stupidity

Thanks

Thank Post
    Apple Remote Desktop (ARD) has many more features than Windows Remote Desktop Connection. ARD allows you to screen share, install software packages, send UNIX commands, collect reports (usage, applications, etc), and several other helpful features.

Apple - Remote Desktop 3

There is an Admin application that you have to buy, but each OS X client comes with the client software built in (can be activated in Sharing in System Preferences). As far as installing software goes, it would have to be in .pkg format - which many titles come in already, or you can easily re-package those that don't (using, for example, Apple's free PackageMaker utility). You can 'manually' install the software with ARD, sending it out at a specific moment to specific machines (or groups of machines), OR you can use ARD as a 'task server' that will automatically install the software when a client next comes online.

Thank Post
    Not really my area of expertise, but it might be worth adding an Apple server, even perhaps a Mac Mini server. OSX server lets you manage preferences and group policies, and also create and deploy your disk images. You can still use your Windows servers and AD for authentication and file storage, but you'd be farming out those slightly more proprietary services to the Apple. You might need an integrator like Jigsaw to help you configure it all, but there's quite a lot of info on line if you want to try it yourself. Mac servers come with unlimited client SALs so you buy it once, and never need to pay any more even if you add more Macs later. I can get one of our server techs to post if you need more info?

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread