+ Post New Thread
Mac Thread, OSX on PC? in Technical; Probally a very silly question, but is there a version of the Mac OS i can install on my Acer ...
    Thank Post

OSX on PC?

Probally a very silly question, but is there a version of the Mac OS i can install on my Acer (Non Apple) laptop, which is legal and will work?

i have tried the Lepoard disk, and it refused, spat it out and stomped its feet at me.

(i want to get used to the Apple OS, but i am not prepared to buy a iMac or similar)

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,648 Times in 2,049 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Ben123 View Post
    which is legal
    No. Apple do not allow non-Apple hardware to be used.

3. Thanks to localzuk from:

Ben-BSH (10th February 2010)

Thank Post
    which is legal
    No, there isn't.

5. Thanks to K.C.Leblanc from:

Thank Post
    Not a problem! Thanks anyway! seems its quite black and white then!

Thanks for the quick responce guys!

*backs out of the Mac board, feeling sheepish*

Thank Post
    Short answer, its not legal. Needs to be apple 'branded' hardware. If that means more than sticking an apple sticker on your laptop, or branding it with a hot iron im not sure!!

If you wanna have a play search for "Hackintosh" on Google but be prepared for not everything to work!

I beleive the main project behind the efforts is called OSx86 and their site has a compatability list for a whole load of laptops.

8. Thanks to Jamo from:

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,123 Times in 1,025 Posts
    Probally a very silly question, but is there a version of the Mac OS i can install on my Acer (Non Apple) laptop, which is legal and will work?

i have tried the Lepoard disk, and it refused, spat it out and stomped its feet at me.

(i want to get used to the Apple OS, but i am not prepared to buy a iMac or similar)
    Buy a mac mini from ebay even if its an older one ( PPC ) so you can get used to it, only down side with the PPC G4, G5 etc is that you can't install snow leopard ( leopard will be the latest one you can install )

If you want snow leopard you will need to get an Intel mac whether it be a mac mini, imac or w/e

richard_s
    which is legal and will work?
    No

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,013 Times in 825 Posts
    Blog Entries
    which is legal and will work?
    Legal? That's actually tougher to answer than the gut instinct - No. Apple's EULA states - 'only on Apple branded Hardware'. But how legally binding is a EULA? My understaning is that if you purchase a copy of OS X and install it on non-Apple hardware then you are not breaking copyright law so it's not illegal. However Apple could pursue the matter in the Civil courts.

The validity of EULA's have never beem tested in this country and I have read some interesting arguments as to why they may be ruled invalid if they ever where tested.

That said, this is what the Apple vs Psystar case basically boiled down to in the US and Psystar lost the court battle. Read into that what you will.

If you're happy with breaking the EULA and taking your chances with Apple lawyers then buy a copy of OS X before doing a google search for 'Hackintosh'.

Thank Post
    Apple's entire raison d'etre is to provide a slick user experience (and to sell nice expensive hardware) so the licence for OSX is very clear. Thou shalt not run it on any computer unless it's been manufactured by Apple. You're acting outside the law if you hack non-Apple hardware to run it, but more to the point, you're potentially turning a great experience into a bit of a nightmare. Apple are trying to protect their own interests, of course, but you can't really blame them for that. Hence they like to add new functionality to the free OS updates, and also break any hacked versions at the same time, so that those users have to struggle to keep everything working properly. If you were Apple, you'd do the same. Windows, on the other hand, is not made by a hardware manufacturer, so Microsoft are delighted to help Apple make sure it works on a Mac. More Microsoft sales!

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Robbocop View Post
    Apple's entire raison d'etre is to provide a slick user experience (and to sell nice expensive hardware) so the licence for OSX is very clear. Thou shalt not run it on any computer unless it's been manufactured by Apple. You're acting outside the law if you hack non-Apple hardware to run it, but more to the point, you're potentially turning a great experience into a bit of a nightmare. Apple are trying to protect their own interests, of course, but you can't really blame them for that. Hence they like to add new functionality to the free OS updates, and also break any hacked versions at the same time, so that those users have to struggle to keep everything working properly. If you were Apple, you'd do the same. Windows, on the other hand, is not made by a hardware manufacturer, so Microsoft are delighted to help Apple make sure it works on a Mac. More Microsoft sales!
    Boooo to Apple! Bring on the Hackbook Slow!

Thank Post
    Jamo. LoL! I know, I know. But from Apple's point of view, why sell you less than 100 quids worth of OS when they could be selling you a Mac

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,013 Times in 825 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Robbocop View Post
    You're acting outside the law if you hack non-Apple hardware to run it
    Sorry but this is just plain wrong. The EULA is a contract between two parties and covered under the laws of tort. As such it is a civil matter and not a ciminal matter. It has nothing to do with copyright law - which would be a criminal matter since breaking copyright is theft.

The validity of EULA's have never been tested through the UK courts system so we don't know how enforcable they are. If I remember my contract law correctly the contract has to be viewable and available to both parties prior to purchase. Since EULA's appear on splash screen after you have bought the software and broken the packaging there is a reasonable argument that the contract is not legally binding under UK tort law. But as I have said, it's never actually been tested.

The same goes for Microsoft's EULA's. Why do I know all this? Simple, I researched it as best I could when I was evaluating nComputing and SoftXpand Multiseat Computer systems. The use of which (atleast with Windows XP/Vista/7) break Microsoft's EULA.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread