+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Mac Thread, Macbook Hard Drive in Technical; I bought a second hand Macbook when i got it, it had no operating system installed so i tried to ...
    Thank Post

Macbook Hard Drive

I bought a second hand Macbook when i got it, it had no operating system installed so i tried to install it with the disks it come with which is Mac OS X 10.5.4 but everytime i went to disk utility to try and format the HD it gave an error.

so i replaced the HD with Hitachi Travelstar HTS545016B9A300 160GB 5400RPM 8MB Cache 2.5" Notebook SATA Ha Digitalpromo.co.uk

but now when i go into the installation there is no HD their also there is no HD in disk utility. I have put the old one back in and it shows but gives the same errors. I also tried the new HD in a laptop and it works fine.

Is there anyway to fix this?

Thank Post
    Have you tried booting gparted (livecd) or similar to check for the HDD?

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,053 Times in 974 Posts
    exactly which mac book was it and if you check the new hard drive ratings with ref to voltage / amp / current etc is it similiar or different to the original hdd

Also when you are booted with the OS X cd when you are using disk util you should be able to click on the repair disk or verify disk - if not you can boot into single user mode and check the file system of the hard drive

Should be something similiar to below

http://support.apple.com/kb/TS1417
    Last edited by mac_shinobi; 10th February 2010 at 09:23 AM.

Thank Post
    Iv got the early MacBook 2007 model littl White one. The old hard drive says 5v 0.60a and the new one says 5v 700ma.

Thank Post
    I checked what replacement drives we're selling for Macbook and the part number you gave looks the same to me. If it's not showing in disk Utility at all you're stuck completely. What is the error message you get if you have the original drive installed and I'll see what the technical guys here think?

Thank Post
    I would re install the new hard drive making sure the cable is seated firmly and try again with the OS X disc and boot up and use disk util to format it ( should be in the menu for disk util )

Thank Post
    i cant remember the exact error but it says something like write erase error or something just wont let me partiton it or format it. Also the new hard drive has been taken out an put back in but still does not work.

I got the new hard drive to show up once and when i clicked format it just didnt do anything and it did not come up with any error

Thank Post
    This isn't so much a helpful post, but I upgraded my MacBook drive to a 320GB one, I went through 2 Hitachi Drives failing in it before buying a Seagate one, just for reference.

Anyway, in terms of it not seeing the drive, are the disks you have the right ones for that model of MacBook, or actual retail disks, as if they're not either of them, then you'll have great trouble.

I fixed a MacBook for a colleagues son about a month back and they gave me the "disks that came with it" but they were Tiger Disks from a PPC not Intel and then disks for a MacBook but not the same MacBook model as the one I was working on so in the end they ended up having to pay for Snow Leopard instead, as soon as I got the disks the OS was installed in however long it takes OS to install, but they can be quite precise as to the install media they want to work from.

*edit*
    I was able to format the disk though with the MacBook DVD he gave me to try the second time using the Erase function in the Disk Util, but it just wouldn't let me install it after that as the disk didn't show up.

Thank Post
    Hmmm. I'm a bit worried that the SATA controller on the motherboard might be at fault, and I hope that's not the case. I know people keep telling you to use the right disks and to use disk Utility, but I'm assuming that you are running Disk Utility from the DVD, yes? If so, you are already doing the right thing. I wonder if it's worth trying the original drive in the other laptop you mentioned in your initial post? If the old drive works in the other laptop then you'll know, or at least be pretty sure, there's a fault with the SATA controller. I'll keep my fingers crossed that you've just got a dodgy drive though.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Robbocop View Post
    Hmmm. I'm a bit worried that the SATA controller on the motherboard might be at fault, and I hope that's not the case. I know people keep telling you to use the right disks and to use disk Utility, but I'm assuming that you are running Disk Utility from the DVD, yes? If so, you are already doing the right thing. I wonder if it's worth trying the original drive in the other laptop you mentioned in your initial post? If the old drive works in the other laptop then you'll know, or at least be pretty sure, there's a fault with the SATA controller. I'll keep my fingers crossed that you've just got a dodgy drive though.
    If the new hard drive works on another laptop then may point to the sata controller

edited

I would get it replaced and get a western digital or a samsung or another drive not a hitachi and see if thats any better - if its the same then it may be the sata controller
    Last edited by mac_shinobi; 10th February 2010 at 04:48 PM.

Thank Post
    The other laptop is a hp so I will not be able to install the os on that. I'm pretty sure it's not the sata cotrollers xause the other HD shows. Is there a chance that it could just be the laptop not accepting an hitachi hard drive but it will accept another one?

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by fagan View Post
    The other laptop is a hp so I will not be able to install the os on that. I'm pretty sure it's not the sata cotrollers xause the other HD shows. Is there a chance that it could just be the laptop not accepting an hitachi hard drive but it will accept another one?
    possibly - may be down to the voltage / current / ampage of the hard drive draws ?? long shot - could be wrong.

Maybe return it as not fit for purpose as it does not work with your mac book and get a samsung or western digital hdd

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by mac_shinobi View Post
    possibly - may be down to the voltage / current / ampage of the hard drive draws ?? long shot - could be wrong.

Maybe return it as not fit for purpose as it does not work with your mac book and get a samsung or western digital hdd
    Will they take the HD back as i have already opened it??

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by fagan View Post
    Will they take the HD back as i have already opened it??
    trading standards - you should be within your right to get a money back refund assuming its within the time period as it was not fit for the original purpose which was to replace the hard drive on the mac book ( apple laptop ) as it does not work with the laptop.

edited

I normally purchase mac stuff from here

http://www.thebookyard.com/
    Last edited by mac_shinobi; 10th February 2010 at 06:14 PM.

Thank Post
    Hi

I upgraded the hard drive in my black Macbook for a 320GB WD Scorpio Blue. When I did so, the installation discs refused to see the drive. Not wanting to go through the hassle of returning the drive, I put it in a USB caddy, connected it the mac, and installed OS 10.5, and later 10.6, this way.

The install works fine, and when the drive was placed back in the mac, it worked fine. As far as I can tell, it was a SATA vs SATA II problem (Sorry, not much of a hardware expert). Strange if it is that the installer cannot support SATA II in thus day and age.

A long shot, but worth a try.

Maria

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast