+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Mac Thread, Macbook Hard Drive in Technical; Originally Posted by MPorter Hi I upgraded the hard drive in my black Macbook for a 320GB WD Scorpio Blue. ...

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,056 Times in 977 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by MPorter View Post
    Hi

I upgraded the hard drive in my black Macbook for a 320GB WD Scorpio Blue. When I did so, the installation discs refused to see the drive. Not wanting to go through the hassle of returning the drive, I put it in a USB caddy, connected it the mac, and installed OS 10.5, and later 10.6, this way.

The install works fine, and when the drive was placed back in the mac, it worked fine. As far as I can tell, it was a SATA vs SATA II problem (Sorry, not much of a hardware expert). Strange if it is that the installer cannot support SATA II in thus day and age.

A long shot, but worth a try.

Maria
    U reminded me that if it is a sata 2 drive u should be able to use a jumper to put it into comparability mode for sata 1 and see if that helps

Thank Post
    Thanks it's a strange HD it's not got any jumpers :-s

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by fagan View Post
    Thanks it's a strange HD it's not got any jumpers :-s
    seems to vary from drive to drive - some are meant to auto switch and others have a jumper ( assuming the drive you have is sata 2 as apposed to sata 1

MacBookPro4,1 SATA II compatible - comp.sys.mac.misc | Google Groups

Personally I would get a better branded hdd ie western digital or the likes

Thank Post
    I'd agree with MPorter, try hooking the drive up via a USB adapter and try to do the install to that or at least partition and formatted it before putting it back inside the laptop, that's how I'd proceed before trying other HDDs

Thank Post
    If you have another mac lying around, then you could try the following.

connect a firewire cable between the 2 macs
    put the new drive in the macbook, then boot it whilst holding down the T key, this put the machine in target disk mode.
    The other mac will now see the macbook just like an external firewire drive.

The new HDD should be seen in disk util on the 2nd mac, you can now format it in disk utility or even install the OS from a 2nd mac.

This does depend on having another mac though.

this kb article has more info on FW target mode How to use and troubleshoot FireWire target disk mode

Sammy

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Chillibear View Post
    I'd agree with MPorter, try hooking the drive up via a USB adapter and try to do the install to that or at least partition and formatted it before putting it back inside the laptop, that's how I'd proceed before trying other HDDs
    If at any point os x needs re installing what will the asker have to do next time? Strip his laptop to bits again shove the hdd into a USB caddy just so they can do a re install and then go through the reverse of that ie putting it back and putting the laptop back together again?

Thank Post
    Ok I got a enclouse to put the HD in and I have installed mac os x but now when I put the HD back in the mac it comes up with a folder and a ? Mark is there anyway to sort this or am I going to have to use the external enclosure!

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by mac_shinobi View Post
    trading standards - you should be within your right to get a money back refund assuming its within the time period as it was not fit for the original purpose which was to replace the hard drive on the mac book ( apple laptop ) as it does not work with the laptop.
    That's the wrong kind of fit for purpose though - that clause is intended to make sure that things stand up to their intended use, e.g. hammer doesn't shatter when you hit a nail. It doesn't cover you buying the wrong item for the job as far as I'm aware. Nothing in the original page bumph says it's for a mac.

Thank Post
    Ok I got a enclouse to put the HD in and I have installed mac os x but now when I put the HD back in the mac it comes up with a folder and a ? Mark is there anyway to sort this or am I going to have to use the external enclosure!
    When you formatted it to install OS X did you do the following with ref to a GUID partition

Format a Drive to Boot Intel Macs | Tips | The Mac Observer

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by OutToLunch View Post
    That's the wrong kind of fit for purpose though - that clause is intended to make sure that things stand up to their intended use, e.g. hammer doesn't shatter when you hit a nail. It doesn't cover you buying the wrong item for the job as far as I'm aware. Nothing in the original page bumph says it's for a mac.
    when you replace a hard drive you only want to install it , put the laptop together ( once and once only ) and when you do anything else you do it by formatting it the way that its intended to be formatted not all this malarky of stripping a laptop down to bits and pieces , taking the hard drive out, putting it into an ext usb caddy and doing all the extra gumph just to install or re install an os etc so still not fit for purpose because it does not work how it should work
    Last edited by mac_shinobi; 11th February 2010 at 04:03 PM.

Thank Post
    Yer i did that :s haha this is all mad i dont mind using it with the external but i would prefer to use it internal haha

Thank Post
    Yer i did that :s haha this is all mad i dont mind using it with the external but i would prefer to use it internal haha
    aside from getting a refund on the hard drive and getting another one and trying that and seeing if it does the same or not, if it does then maybe a sata controller issue or otherwise but im not an apple expert by any means ( not yet ) but would like to be ( long road ahead !! )

Thank Post
    The flashing question mark folder means the Mac can't locate the system disk to boot of. Hopefully that's just because it's looking for the external drive, which is now internal! I think you can hold down the option key (alt) when booting the Mac and that prompts you to pick a system disk, hopefully that will allow you to choose your now internal drive. I'm pretty sure this selection is temporary, so once booted you'll have to set the system disk from the Mac preferences.

If that doesn't work then the only other area I can think of to double check is that you set the patition type to GUID. Beyond that it might just be that this drive doesn't agree with your laptop.

Re suggesting the caddy:
    Quote Originally Posted by mac_shinobi
    If at any point os x needs re installing what will the asker have to do next time? Strip his laptop to bits again shove the hdd into a USB caddy just so they can do a re install and then go through the reverse of that ie putting it back and putting the laptop back together again?
    I was hoping that perhaps once it's properly initialised and running then a second install might be more trivial, however this might not be the case and if a re-install was required it would mean re-doing the procedure again - nothing close to an ideal situation I know. I thought it was worth suggesting as another route towards getting his laptop working, external enclosures are useful to have and cheap enough that it seemed like a reasonable thing to try. I expect the only sure-fire way to avoid never needing to get inside the laptop again is probably to buy either an Apple certified drive or buy from a supplier who can assure you of compatibility.
    Last edited by Chillibear; 11th February 2010 at 04:18 PM.

14. Thanks to Chillibear from:

mac_shinobi (11th February 2010)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Chillibear View Post
    If that doesn't work then the only other area I can think of to double check is that you set the patition type to GUID. Beyond that it might just be that this drive doesn't agree with your laptop.

Re suggesting the caddy:

I was hoping that perhaps once it's properly initialised and running then a second install might be more trivial, however this might not be the case and if a re-install was required it would mean re-doing the procedure again - nothing close to an ideal situation I know. I thought it was worth suggesting as another route towards getting his laptop working, external enclosures are useful to have and cheap enough that it seemed like a reasonable thing to try. I expect the only sure-fire way to avoid never needing to get inside the laptop again is probably to buy either an Apple certified drive or buy from a supplier who can assure you of compatibility.
    That's fine and understandable ref the ext caddy but when you buy something new you just want it to work without all the faffing about and with the issues it was giving him formatting the drive , I wanted to see if trying another drive did the same ( new and working drive ) so you can see if its the drive at fault that he is using now or the controller ( sata ) chipset at fault.

Posted a link ref guid which he had already done now to the usb ext but if holding down the left alt key does not help then as above another drive and if that fails then chipset related to the controller for sata at a guess which will be a replacement logic board which are expensive ( thebookyard.com again site I mentioned above )

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by mac_shinobi View Post
    when you replace a hard drive you only want to install it , put the laptop together ( once and once only ) and when you do anything else you do it by formatting it the way that its intended to be formatted not all this malarky of stripping a laptop down to bits and pieces , taking the hard drive out, putting it into an ext usb caddy and doing all the extra gumph just to install or re install an os etc so still not fit for purpose because it does not work how it should work
    ... it is not fit for your purpose, because you bought the wrong HD/didn't research/check compatibility etc. That does not make it 'not fit for purpose' under trading standards - there's nothing wrong with the HD and if it was put in a compatible laptop then it would work perfectly. You can't buy a Vauxhall engine then complain it's not fit for purpose because it doesn't fit in your Fiesta.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12