+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Mac Thread, Internet connection in Technical; I take it that you've actually pressed Apply after you've OK'd back to the list of network adapters when inputting ...
    Thank Post
    I take it that you've actually pressed Apply after you've OK'd back to the list of network adapters when inputting the Proxy settings?

(just as the settings apply once you set them in Leopard at least, and as far as I remember Tiger and from what I've seen Snow Leopard without the need to reboot generally, and you've also go the right suer info (if needed) for your proxies?)

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,048 Times in 970 Posts
    if its just for the one mac then I would just create a normal user account as well as obviously the admin one and use the admin account to lock down the normal user account all through the accounts system preference pane / option.

You should be able to have a list of apps that you want to allow or dis allow - not tried it on snow leopard but have access here to snow leopard so i can play around myself if you get stuck on anything - but there are a few on here who are more experienced in the art of macs then I am.

Thank Post
    @aptproductions - yes I pressed apply and yes I have the right user for the proxy. The proxy is set on my windows machines from the default policy but I kind of guessed that this wouldn't be the case with the Mac. Maybe it needs some more authorisation?

User accounts are already set up in Active Directory and they can log on to the Mac. They have a path to their shared drive on the server and can create and save to there if they wish. Also they save to the Mac. The need for the new Admin account was that I couldn't get into the Network settings/options without it.

I haven't had a lot of time to explore what things need to be done on the Mac to lock it down as I was being pushed to get the internet working. I think I've installed ClamXAV as an antivirus because the Windows one doesn't extend to Macs. But I don't know if I've done that right either Will take another look tomorrow and investigate the settings. Thanks.

Thank Post
    leco are you sure your mac has picked up a valid IP address? try pinging your server/default gateway or your proxy server on the mac.

open a terminal window (applications>utilities) and use the ping command as you would in windows. or

Thank Post
    Yes it has an IP in the right range, subnet mask, DHCP address, Gateway etc all correct. The Mac is showing in Windows AD. I can open files from the server share and everything within the domain.local just can't connect outside it. The proxy is an "outside" connection as in YHGfL.

Thank Post
    Just had a thought, and it was painful.

Mac's can be over clever, when your authenticating to your proxy, your using

domain\username & password

Just use username and password Leave off the domain\ bit.

Thank Post
    Ooh ouch at this time of night as well - lol

Sorry but I don't understand what you mean - when authenticating. If I'm logging in with a domain user name I just put the user name in the top box and password in the bottom one. But, unlike a Windows box, there isn't another box underneath to tell me where I'm logging in to. So I'm not sure if I'm actually on the domain or not if you can understand that. On a Windows machine I can tell if I'm on the domain or on (This computer) local log in. I'm assuming that when I put in the admin user name and password I'm logging in to the local machine, since that's how I set it (I think).

I do know that if I log in as a domain user (user in Windows AD) the network settings are not available. Which is why I had to reset the local admin account to get to the controls. Also if the ethernet cable is not plugged in the Mac still gets a correct IP through the wireless thingy (is it called an Airport?) Unless of course I've set a static IP - can't remember. Will have to look tomorrow.

Thank Post
    Sorry I mean where it says "Proxy server needs password" here we enter un&pass to authenticate against ISA server to gain inet access. Dont put full domain\username just put username
    Last edited by pooley; 3rd February 2010 at 11:16 PM.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,048 Times in 970 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by leco View Post
    Ooh ouch at this time of night as well - lol

Sorry but I don't understand what you mean - when authenticating. If I'm logging in with a domain user name I just put the user name in the top box and password in the bottom one. But, unlike a Windows box, there isn't another box underneath to tell me where I'm logging in to. So I'm not sure if I'm actually on the domain or not if you can understand that. On a Windows machine I can tell if I'm on the domain or on (This computer) local log in. I'm assuming that when I put in the admin user name and password I'm logging in to the local machine, since that's how I set it (I think).

I do know that if I log in as a domain user (user in Windows AD) the network settings are not available. Which is why I had to reset the local admin account to get to the controls. Also if the ethernet cable is not plugged in the Mac still gets a correct IP through the wireless thingy (is it called an Airport?) Unless of course I've set a static IP - can't remember. Will have to look tomorrow.
    Yes it is the airport ( basically the wireless network card / connection )

With regards to if you do require a username and password in order to authenticate against the proxy server then where the proxy setting was ( network -> select correct network connection type ie airport -> go to the proxies tab

there should be a check box to enable a login username and password which you can enter them in there if needed.

When I made the local admin account and the domain admin account the local one was just admin with a different password to the domain admin account so that way I knew which one I was logging into.

Also at the login prompt before you login is there a green circle or some text that you can click on ie the serial number or w/e.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12