+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Mac Thread, Ipad - What were they thinking ?? in Technical; Now that it has been released to the masses, everyone in the school wants one. So here is a rough ...
    Thank Post

Ipad - What were they thinking ??

Now that it has been released to the masses, everyone in the school wants one. So here is a rough transcript of the conversations that i'm having right now.

"I'd like a iPad please?"
    "Sure, not a problem just one issue that you need to be aware of".
    "what's that?"
    "It doesn't support flash!!!" At this point i'm faced with glazed expressions so i continued on. "All the nice web sites you look at won't work, you just get a little box with an x on it instead."
    "huh, well.... what's the point of that ??"
    "Yeah, i know. good question"

So i'm asking all of you mac guru's out there:-

1. Why apple were stupid enough to launch a device that doesn't support flash. as everything we look at on the web these days has some some of flash content.
    2. When does apple plan to address the issue, if ever?

Thank Post
    If it's not proprietary AND Apple, then they don't want it.

Complete and total control of everything, that's the Apple way!

Thank Post
    If you've ever used a mac and flash then you would understand a little as to why Apple have done this. There rumors going around that Steve Jobs had a Q&A discussion after the iPad launch where he basically called Adobe lazy. And in all fairness, they are. Their coding is shoddy at best when it comes to the flash plugin on OS X. Even v10 is pretty dire and that's an improvement over v9.

Watching iPlayer or anything using Flash video and all you can hear if you don't have headphones in are the fans at constant velocity almost making my Macbook pro take off. It would feel more at home on a runway

But the internet is so heavily reliant on flash now that its a sorry state that you can't browse sites unless you have the plugin. On the plus side though at least you don't see all those annoying ads.

Pro's and con's

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,568 Times in 1,250 Posts
    It does make me wonder how long it'll be before Apple run into the same problems as Microsoft who have a big control over the OS market, typically on desktop/laptop computers. Apple's practices are anti-competitive in my view. Buy an Apple device, using Apple apps (for whatever purpose) and use Apple software, to download music in the case of iTunes. It's all getting very silly.

To prove a point I can visit any retailer, buy a CD of my choice at the right price and play it in my CD Player at home. It's considerably more difficult to do this with the MP3/WMA method and it shouldn't be!

The best advice if you're getting asked about the iPad is get them to visit an Apple Store where they can part with $500 of their own cash! I can think of better things to buy for that money myself.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael View Post
    To prove a point I can visit any retailer, buy a CD of my choice at the right price and play it in my CD Player at home. It's considerably more difficult to do this with the MP3/WMA method and it shouldn't be!
    This isn't entirely a fair point. Apple have to abide by the publishers T&C's, and because of the massive market share that iTunes has, they tend to get a raw deal. The publishers make it hard for Apple to sell DRM-free items on iTunes as they gave rights to Amazon and the likes first before allowing Apple to sell them DRM-free. Of course it doesn't help that Apple themselves out-price them from the market. One thing i would never do though is buy videos from iTunes. Bought one, never again!

The best advice if you're getting asked about the iPad is get them to visit an Apple Store where they can part with $500 of their own cash! I can think of better things to buy for that money myself.
    This is exactly what i would say. I don't mind the iPad it could be good at what it does, and looks alright. Not quite what i was wanting but then that's me. I just iterate that the laptops for teachers scheme ended years ago and if staff need a laptop for their work, then the School is not obliged to get them one. We do it out of the kindness (and budget) of our heart.

But they never appreciate the fact

Thank Post
    They were thinking.....

Right, how can we avoid cannabilising sales of the ipod touch and macbook products ?

And then work from there.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,048 Times in 970 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by torledo View Post
    They were thinking.....

Right, how can we avoid cannabilising sales of the ipod touch and macbook products ?

And then work from there.
    I thought it was the same reasoning as the iphones due to poor coding , memory hogs, and will drain battery a lot lot faster - could be wrong though.

Either way I re call seeing something where the iphones and now ipads are waiting html version 5 or something along those lines and using html 5 instead of flash ( not sure if that was true or not )

makes at least 2 of us ref to thinking of better things to spend my cash on and I defo won't be getting one, its almost like they used gaffa tape to stick 4 iphones together and ditched some functionality and re named it
    Last edited by mac_shinobi; 1st February 2010 at 11:01 AM.

Thank Post
    I think the iPad will be OK. There was little point in Apple trying to release a copy of everyone else's tablet, and to release something more OSX savvy wouldn't have made commercial sense and would have been too expensive. In schools the biggest challenge for wireless Macs is the sheer amount of network traffic they produce (as anyone with a trolley full of Macbooks will doubtless agree). I was hoping for a giant iPod Touch and so I'm not disappointed. That low traffic, simple app approach should work well in a classroom. Apple aren't the only ones to suss that web based apps are the next big wave, and I think they are trying to produce the perfect web device. We'll see if they've succeeded. As for Adobe, they are working hard on the next iteration of Flashplayer and talking a lot about mobile devices. In their shoes I would have waited for the iPad before releasing anything, so no surprises there either really. You know what it's like with Apple. They do things which appear completely crazy at the time, but usually things work out in the end. By the time these devices appear in the UK I'd expect a lot of development to come to fruition, so fingers crossed Adobe are as far along as everything thinks they are!

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,032 Times in 812 Posts
    If Apple push developers towards HTML 5 and away from Flash, surely that's a good thing?
    If you run a browser on a terminal server you'll know what I mean - (badly written) flash is very resource intensive.

I want an ipad. I'll probably mod it to have a fixed hardware keyboard - ideally one that is perpendicular to the screen with a hinged mechanism so that it can protect the screen by closing it like a book when not in use. I'll probably install linux on it as well

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by CyberNerd View Post
    If Apple push developers towards HTML 5 and away from Flash, surely that's a good thing?
    If you run a browser on a terminal server you'll know what I mean - (badly written) flash is very resource intensive.

I want an ipad. I'll probably mod it to have a fixed hardware keyboard - ideally one that is perpendicular to the screen with a hinged mechanism so that it can protect the screen by closing it like a book when not in use. I'll probably install linux on it as well
    So that'd be one of these then - Asus T91: Multi-touch tablet netbook - Crave at CNET UK?

Except its got an added TV tuner and GPS chip. I suppose you could always take them out...

Thank Post
    It is true that Flash is pretty bad on OS X. Very frustrating trying to watch iPlayer or anything.
    And it would be nice if HTML5 was used more, but it isnt, flash dominates, and is used often needlessly on some websites.
    Dont see why Apple couldnt have let the plugin be installed in the same way they do in OS X, and just make clear that its a 3rd party plugin and not offcially supported or something.

Having said that, no doubt specific apps for the popular stuff like iPlayer will be developed so it probably wont end up being as huge a problem as some might think. I care little either way since I wont be buying one

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by mac_shinobi View Post
    I thought it was the same reasoning as the iphones due to poor coding , memory hogs, and will drain battery a lot lot faster - could be wrong though.

Either way I re call seeing something where the iphones and now ipads are waiting html version 5 or something along those lines and using html 5 instead of flash ( not sure if that was true or not )

makes at least 2 of us ref to thinking of better things to spend my cash on and I defo won't be getting one, its almost like they used gaffa tape to stick 4 iphones together and ditched some functionality and re named it
    By the time HTML5 is mainstream we will be on the iPad 8G and they will have introduced a new shiny 0.1MP camera without a flash (thats the 8G+ model of course)........

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,443 Times in 1,891 Posts
    Blog Entries
    HTML5 isn't a golden bullet mind... Many software developers will not change from Flash to HTML5 any time soon, they've already invested heavily in Flash!

Examples - can you see Mathletics rewriting their entire site in Ajax and HTML5? I can't... What about all the VLE flash based packages. The companies don't have the funds to redevelop everything. Just look at how long it took for companies to stop using 16bit code!!

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,048 Times in 970 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jamo View Post
    By the time HTML5 is mainstream we will be on the iPad 8G and they will have introduced a new shiny 0.1MP camera without a flash (thats the 8G+ model of course)........
    like i said i wont be getting one of them also id much prefer a mac book pro tbh.

I wasn't dis agreeing with anyone here ref flash as yes it is pants but was just stating what I have found out.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,032 Times in 812 Posts
    does it support java?

JavaFX is pretty cool:

JavaFX | Rich Internet Applications Development | RIAs Java FX

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast