+ Post New Thread
Mac Thread, I messed up permissions... in Technical; Trying to do too much at once, pressed 'propagate permissions' on the wrong folder and have set permissions for all ...
    theeldergeek

I messed up permissions...

Trying to do too much at once, pressed 'propagate permissions' on the wrong folder and have set permissions for all users home drives wrong.....

So, all the permissions were then wrong on their home drives, so now I have manually set the correct POSIX to each user on their root folder, but of course all the folders/files within don't give them access, that is each file/folder within doesn't give them the right permissions (the ones I have checked are read only which would tie in with the POSIX read only I guess).

The permissions on each home folder are :

ACL's
    ICT_Technical has read/write
    Teachers are read only

POSIX
    user has read/write
    admin has read only
    other has read only

I presume these permissions are correct, as they are what is created when I create a new user after this disaster took place. The root folder of all the home drives hasn't been affected by this, it's only the users home folders within that drive that are affected.

Is their any way other than propagating permissions within Server Admin that I can quickly reset all contents of the home folders (Desktop, Documents etc and all files within) to the right permissions?

I am doing all the work via Remote Desktop on our Xserve thru server admin, which is slow progress, but easiest.

If anyone can throw me a beacon of hope I'd appreciate it.

Add to all my other problems today, someone has smacked into my shiny new car and ruined it... but at least I have their name and insurance details.

It can't get any worse.

I am also going to need this done as an idiots guide 'cos I am stupid, no really I am.
    Last edited by theeldergeek; 27th January 2010 at 03:33 PM.

theeldergeek
    Where are you guys, I need help ....... waaaaaaargh!!

Thank Post
    Hi,

I've done this too. Last year I changed permissions to a year group by accident, had to go through each users and set the permissions correctly.

As far as I'm aware there isn't a quicker way.

Having been there myself you have my sympathy

theeldergeek
    Quote Originally Posted by webby74 View Post
    Hi,

I've done this too. Last year I changed permissions to a year group by accident, had to go through each users and set the permissions correctly.

As far as I'm aware there isn't a quicker way.

Having been there myself you have my sympathy
    How did you set the permissions for the files and folders within, propagate?

The problem I have with that, is it isn't setting the correct permissions for folder within the users home folders. It is just duplicating the home folder permissions down. Some of the permissions which should be set to 'none' are being set to 'read only'.

This is a nightmare!

Last edited by theeldergeek; 27th January 2010 at 04:28 PM.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by theeldergeek View Post
    How did you set the permissions for the files and folders within, propagate?
    Top level of the home folder permissions are as follows:

ACL

Admins Group: Full Control
    Staff Group: Read

POSIX

[User]: Read Write
    Staff: Read Only
    Others: Read Only

But the next level down the the Staff and Others have No Access (Except for the Sites and Public Folders) So that thru the network other users cant access other users home folders.

So Documents etc and everything below have:

ACL

POSIX

Staff: No Access
    Others: No Access

I set these on the top level first and propagated them through the home folder, selecting all options, then changed the top level back to posix back to Read Only for Staff and Others. Then edited the Public and Sites to Read or Write access as appropriate. Our Users use the Public and Sites folders

Sounds complicated when I read it back, but it seems to work...

6. Thanks to webby74 from:

theeldergeek
    Top level of the home folder permissions are as follows:

ACL

POSIX

Staff: Read Only
    Others: Read Only

But the next level down the the Staff and Others have No Access (Except for the Sites and Public Folders) So that thru the network other users cant access other users home folders.

So Documents etc and everything below have:

ACL

POSIX

Staff: No Access
    Others: No Access

I set these on the top level first and propagated them through the home folder, selecting all options, then changed the top level back to posix back to Read Only for Staff and Others. Then edited the Public and Sites to Read or Write access as appropriate. Our Users use the Public and Sites folders

Sounds complicated when I read it back, but it seems to work...

OK, I'll work through it, although I don't have a STAFF group, it is ADMIN on my POSIX? However, on creating a new user, I do have STAFF read only in POSIX

This is doing my nut in!

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by theeldergeek View Post
    OK, I'll work through it, although I don't have a STAFF group, it is ADMIN on my POSIX? However, on creating a new user, I do have STAFF read only in POSIX

This is doing my nut in!

The Staff group in POSIX (and Admin on yours) is the same I believe. Its a name the server gives to all other users on the network that don't apply to any other user or group you give permissions to in ACL.

So if you give in ACL read only access to your teaching staff, yourself Full Control and the user has read write access set in POSIX, all other users fall in to the POSIX Staff (Admin on yours) group

The Other POSIX is for any guest accounts.

9. Thanks to webby74 from:

theeldergeek
    The Staff group in POSIX (and Admin on yours) is the same I believe. Its a name the server gives to all other users on the network that don't apply to any other user or group you give permissions to in ACL.

So if you give in ACL read only access to your teaching staff, yourself Full Control and the user has read write access set in POSIX, all other users fall in to the POSIX Staff (Admin on yours) group

The Other POSIX is for any guest accounts.

Thanks for your help on this, I am extremely grateful. I've got to a point where I have pretty much repaired the 'damage'.

I'm soooo annoyed at what I did, it was trying to do too many things at once, and I didn't realise in my haste that the root home folder was selected when I propagated what I was changing.

Still, I've actually learned a fair bit from this, and it has highlighted some issues I need to address with how the shares are set up.

Roll on half term so I can work on it!

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread