+ Post New Thread
Mac Thread, Mac freezing when resuming from standby/screensaver in Technical; One of the Art teachers has said this week her eMac is completly locking up when it comes out of ...

Thank Post

Mac freezing when resuming from standby/screensaver

One of the Art teachers has said this week her eMac is completly locking up when it comes out of screensaver and you have to put your password in. She cant move the mouse or anything. Only just started happening this week after 2 years being fine

I had this problem on another Mac, and I just deleted and recreated the user and the problem went away. However Id rather not do that again as I dont want to mess about with her files etc

Is there anything in the user profile that can get corrupted over time or anything you should clean out? Or any real reason why this may be happening?

It seems to be just for one local user, not the whole machine

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,052 Times in 973 Posts

Re: Mac freezing when resuming from standby/screensaver

Not sure if this is the issue but just as something to try out

sudo /etc/daily

sudo /etc/weekly

sudo /etc/monthly

you only do the daily one daily, the weekly one, once a week and the same with monthly, the weekly and monthly one takes quite some time where as the daily one should be faster.

Then reboot and see if that helps.

If not then kingswood on this forum is one good person to ask

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,782 Times in 1,105 Posts
    Blog Entries

Re: Mac freezing when resuming from standby/screensaver

Quote Originally Posted by sidewinder
    One of the Art teachers has said this week her eMac is completly locking up when it comes out of screensaver and you have to put your password in. She cant move the mouse or anything. Only just started happening this week after 2 years being fine
    Any recent updates to the OS or to software? Any new software installed?

I had this problem on another Mac, and I just deleted and recreated the user and the problem went away. However Id rather not do that again as I dont want to mess about with her files etc
    When logged on as the local admin account you can select the user's home area and drag it a few inches to one side in the folder *whilst holding down ALT* and it will force copy everything ... it will ask for the admin password first of course. You can also do this via terminal session but why make it complicated ... only the *nix heads go for this option.

When you delete an account from the accounts control panel it should ask if you want to delete the user files or move to a folder called deleted users ... this is another opportunity to save everything.

Is there anything in the user profile that can get corrupted over time or anything you should clean out? Or any real reason why this may be happening?

It seems to be just for one local user, not the whole machine
    There are several things that can go wrong with an individual user account.

A bit of background (this would be called the science bit in an advert for a well known brand of hair care products) .... most of the user settings for users are stored in a folder within the user's home area ... it is called Library ... we usually say ~/Library to denote the Library of a specific user ... /Library is the Library folder in the root of the partition containing the system. This also has some stuff but we will get onto that later ...

inside ~/Library are many folders ... Application Support, Fonts, Mail, and so on ... these folders hold either key files (Mail is literally where mail is stored if you use Apple Mail), or key settings. Inside Application Supoort you will find many subfolders that hold .plist files ... and it is these files that are the backbone to configuration of Macs.

Robert Moir has a very good article in his blog about using these files (via a test user account) to create the settings of the User Template, I suppose you could call it the Mac equivalent of the default profile.

If any of these files get knackered then the system tries to rebuild it, but if it can't then it may crash out. This may only become apparent when it tries to use that file. In this case it could be that the settings for the screensaver, the security request (ask for password on wake up from sleep or screen saver) or the power settings (or a combination) may be knackered.

To start with you can boot from an Install CD/DVD and run the disk utility to verify disk and repair disk ... follwed by verify permissions and repair permissions ...

You can also start looking at the logs to see wat it was doing before it crashed out ...

I would heartily recommend you pick up a copy of OSX: the missing manual ... it has a number of helpful tips and tricks to try and sort things out as well as giving a insight into the workings.

HTH
    HAND

(If none of what Gecko or myself have suggested works then hassle Kingswood or Roberto ... )

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread