+ Post New Thread
Mac Thread, Safari Quicktime plugin and RMSmartCache in Technical; We've just encountered a frustrating problem with our suite of iMacs using Safari (4.0.4) and RMSmartCache (2a.9.9). Our SmartCache is ...
    Thank Post

Unhappy Safari Quicktime plugin and RMSmartCache

We've just encountered a frustrating problem with our suite of iMacs using Safari (4.0.4) and RMSmartCache (2a.9.9).

Our SmartCache is set to authenticate users via AD. On the Macs, it cannot do this, so asks users to manually log in with their AD credentials when they request a page. Frustrating for them (largely because they haven't figured out what the 'Remember this password' tickbox does), but it works.

The problem we're having is that the Quicktime plugin for embedded videos also asks for authentication credentials for the smartcache box, but never accepts any - it just pops up the authentication request dialog again, regardless of the credentials you provide or the form you type them (username, domain\username, domain/username etc).
    (FYI, the page prompting the question in Apple - iLife - Find out how to use iLife applications on the Mac., but this also occurs with other Quicktime embedded movies on other sites.)

To add to this issue, I've tested the same functionality in Firefox 3.6, and it works correctly. The Quicktime plugin still requests proxy authentication, but it only asks once, then starts playing the video.

Has anyone encountered this, or a similar problem before? Does anyone have any ideas where I can look next to resolve this? I'd prefer not to have to roll out Firefox to the Macs, if it can be avoided...

Thanks in advance,
    Andy B
    Last edited by dayzd; 22nd January 2010 at 12:31 PM.

Thank Post
    I'm guessing most people check out new posts with the iSpy page, which has been swamped by frisky people today, so... *BUMP*

Thank Post
    We have god awful problems with the smartcache as well.
    we are using the 2a.9.9 as well along with 2008 r2 but had to change its dns to 2008 server because the cache was asking for a username and password for windows clients and every 5-10mins restarting the caching service. this is all due to ntlm settings i beleive. im talking to rm about it.
    with regards to the macs i have the same issue were it asks for a username and password and then carries on.
    did you get anywhere with this?

Thank Post
    I asked one of our on site install engineers about this and they are aware of the problem. RM might be able to work around the issue for you, but essentially, Safari is not Kerberised, and therefore are not able to act as an intermediary to apps like quicktime and iPhoto (ie if iPhoto asks to use Google Maps for its Places geotagging function). The advice we're giving is to switch to Firefox, because as you've already discovered, it works fine. Apple are aware of the issue, but solving it is not necessarily straightforward.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Logan View Post
    did you get anywhere with this?
    Nope. And as the post above suggests, it's not going to improve.
    We're either going to put in a logging proxy in the chain between SM and the Macs (but this will lose us the ability to assign different access to different users, as SM will only see one user), or deploy Firefox.

I suspect Firefox will be easier. As it's free and should allow us to maintain customisable access, it makes the most sense.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread