+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 21
Mac Thread, Joining a win2k3 Domain in Technical; Ive got a few macs for a school and i want to join them up to the schools domain, ive ...
  1. #1
    Arcath's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Lancashire
    Posts
    972
    Thank Post
    102
    Thanked 116 Times in 101 Posts
    Rep Power
    74

    Joining a win2k3 Domain

    Ive got a few macs for a school and i want to join them up to the schools domain, ive read the guide stuck in this forum and it doesnt help with the issue that im having.

    They are running Mac OS 10.6.1

    I can join my test mac upto the domain through System Preferences -> Accounts and then log out and login as any domain user fine. But every time i reboot it it looses its connection and when i look in accounts it has decided that the Domain is "not responding".

    If i delete the connection and add it again its fine and i can logout and then in as any domain user.

    I have set the AD Server as the time server.

    I cant see anything wrong with how its setup.

    Anyone know how i can make it pickup the domain again on boot?

  2. #2

    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Merseyside
    Posts
    299
    Thank Post
    17
    Thanked 10 Times in 10 Posts
    Rep Power
    14
    Make sure that your macs are in sync with your time server, and that your domain controller is also in sync with said time server.

    Open up Directory Utility (applications>utlities).

    Go to services

    Tick the Active Directory box and then double click on active directory. put in your domain and a computer it, and then click bind, and then ok.

  3. #3
    Arcath's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Lancashire
    Posts
    972
    Thank Post
    102
    Thanked 116 Times in 101 Posts
    Rep Power
    74
    Quote Originally Posted by mbrunt View Post
    Make sure that your macs are in sync with your time server, and that your domain controller is also in sync with said time server.
    set the DC as the time server for the macs

    Quote Originally Posted by mbrunt View Post
    Open up Directory Utility (applications>utlities).

    Go to services

    Tick the Active Directory box and then double click on active directory. put in your domain and a computer it, and then click bind, and then ok.
    Not got that utility on these macs.

    but i performed the last step inside the account properties

  4. #4

    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Merseyside
    Posts
    299
    Thank Post
    17
    Thanked 10 Times in 10 Posts
    Rep Power
    14
    ah yea of course you have snow leopard dont you?

    Its the same thing through sys preferences anyway. What exactly is it doing once you bind?

  5. #5
    Arcath's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Lancashire
    Posts
    972
    Thank Post
    102
    Thanked 116 Times in 101 Posts
    Rep Power
    74
    its not throwing up any errors, and i can re-bind again once it starts up without it erroring but it just wont re-connect on boot.

  6. #6
    AntonioRocco's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    South Yorkshire
    Posts
    268
    Thank Post
    10
    Thanked 113 Times in 95 Posts
    Rep Power
    41
    Hi

    "Not got that utility on these macs"

    You have. Apple moved it in 10.6. You can now find it in /System/Library/CoreServices. You should use the Advanced section available in the Active Directory Plug-in to configure mac clients correctly.

    Your problem is more to do with Windows Servers (generally) are not very good (in my view) at keeping time. It might be better if you 'pointed' your DC to an upstream stratum NTP Server and then 'point' all your clients to that instead. There are known problems with 10.5 and 10.6 clients maintaining a persistent link to Active Directory. What is interesting is this not true for all locations. Clearly this seems to indicate a difference/problem between your environment and environments where the problem does not exist?

    If you have access to another AD environment where the problem does not exist and compare it to yours then maybe you can begin to cure the problem?

    Successful Integration is not only about Time Synchronization. Although it is important. More important still is a correctly configured and working DNS Service not based around .local. Apple have made it possible since 10.5.4 to allow client workstations to work with AD domains using .local however that's not a guarantee that it will work without problems. If your environment's domain is based around .local as the .TLD then you may have more success if you disable mDNS/Bonjour on your mac clients instead?

    You could test this on one client and if successful do the rest? On a test client launch Terminal and issue this command:

    sudo launchctl unload -w /System/Library/LaunchDaemons/com.apple.mDNSResponder.plist
    sudo reboot now


    The mac should now reboot itself. Make sure you login as the local administrator before issuing the command. If you're new to the platform and you're being required to support it in your environment It might be advisable to enrol yourself on an approved Training Course?

    Antonio Rocco (ACSA)

  7. #7

    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Merseyside
    Posts
    299
    Thank Post
    17
    Thanked 10 Times in 10 Posts
    Rep Power
    14
    when you bind, you reboot your computer, and at the login screen you get what?

  8. #8
    Arcath's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Lancashire
    Posts
    972
    Thank Post
    102
    Thanked 116 Times in 101 Posts
    Rep Power
    74
    Quote Originally Posted by AntonioRocco View Post
    Hi

    "Not got that utility on these macs"

    You have. Apple moved it in 10.6. You can now find it in /System/Library/CoreServices. You should use the Advanced section available in the Active Directory Plug-in to configure mac clients correctly.
    Yeah thats the Same utility as the one i used to configure the domain connection

    Quote Originally Posted by AntonioRocco View Post
    Your problem is more to do with Windows Servers (generally) are not very good (in my view) at keeping time. It might be better if you 'pointed' your DC to an upstream stratum NTP Server and then 'point' all your clients to that instead. There are known problems with 10.5 and 10.6 clients maintaining a persistent link to Active Directory. What is interesting is this not true for all locations. Clearly this seems to indicate a difference/problem between your environment and environments where the problem does not exist?

    If you have access to another AD environment where the problem does not exist and compare it to yours then maybe you can begin to cure the problem?
    Well im trying one of the macs on our office domain before i take it to the school and join it up to thiers so i could try it there aswell but id rather not take them in before im ready to hand them over.

    Quote Originally Posted by AntonioRocco View Post
    Successful Integration is not only about Time Synchronization. Although it is important. More important still is a correctly configured and working DNS Service not based around .local. Apple have made it possible since 10.5.4 to allow client workstations to work with AD domains using .local however that's not a guarantee that it will work without problems. If your environment's domain is based around .local as the .TLD then you may have more success if you disable mDNS/Bonjour on your mac clients instead?

    You could test this on one client and if successful do the rest? On a test client launch Terminal and issue this command:

    sudo launchctl unload -w /System/Library/LaunchDaemons/com.apple.mDNSResponder.plist
    sudo reboot now


    The mac should now reboot itself. Make sure you login as the local administrator before issuing the command. If you're new to the platform and you're being required to support it in your environment It might be advisable to enrol yourself on an approved Training Course?

    Antonio Rocco (ACSA)
    Both Domains are .local domains... so that might be where the problem is coming from

  9. #9

    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Merseyside
    Posts
    299
    Thank Post
    17
    Thanked 10 Times in 10 Posts
    Rep Power
    14
    you have two domains? akk.

    in your active directory, what home folder path do you have set for a user you are trying to get to logon?

  10. #10
    Arcath's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Lancashire
    Posts
    972
    Thank Post
    102
    Thanked 116 Times in 101 Posts
    Rep Power
    74
    Quote Originally Posted by mbrunt View Post
    you have two domains? akk.
    One here in our office for us and then one 10-12 miles away at the school, technically we have around 30 domains one in each school.

    Quote Originally Posted by mbrunt View Post
    in your active directory, what home folder path do you have set for a user you are trying to get to logon?
    here and at the school its pointed at \\SERVERNAME\folders\USER

  11. #11
    Arcath's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Lancashire
    Posts
    972
    Thank Post
    102
    Thanked 116 Times in 101 Posts
    Rep Power
    74
    When i run:

    sudo launchctl unload -w /System/Library/LaunchDaemons/com.apple.mDNSResponder.plist
    sudo reboot now
    i cant join any domains, it complains about "node name not found"

    Ive un done that change and it can now join domains no problems. but still after a reboot it cant see the domain and says its not responding

  12. #12

    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Merseyside
    Posts
    299
    Thank Post
    17
    Thanked 10 Times in 10 Posts
    Rep Power
    14
    Hmm, have you tried doing a fresh install of mac os? And then binding to ad..

  13. #13
    AntonioRocco's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    South Yorkshire
    Posts
    268
    Thank Post
    10
    Thanked 113 Times in 95 Posts
    Rep Power
    41
    Hi

    You have to add the domain name in the Search Domains field in the Network Preferences Pane. You could of course use your DHCP Service to do this for you. Can you resolve the DC on both pointers from a mac client? Try not to use ping. Use something actually useful instead, like nslookup, dig or host.

    Whilst you're at it make sure your DC can resolve itself on both pointers also?

    Antonio Rocco (ACSA)

  14. #14

    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Wolverhampton
    Posts
    116
    Thank Post
    6
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Rep Power
    0
    hi all

    when binding to a windows network, are you mapping home/shared drives from a san

    if so how are you doing this??

    thanks

    phil

  15. #15

    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    London
    Posts
    2,962
    Thank Post
    159
    Thanked 152 Times in 116 Posts
    Rep Power
    49
    You have exactly the same problem as I (and others) have had trying to bind with Snow Leopard. Everyone (including Apple) just said 'its a problem with your DNS' yet every test I ran came back fine.
    Had to go back to 10.5 in the end and it all works flawlessly.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 1
    Last Post: 30th November 2009, 06:32 PM
  2. Replies: 12
    Last Post: 16th November 2009, 03:30 PM
  3. joining laptops to domain
    By chrbb in forum Windows
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 28th February 2007, 08:19 PM
  4. Need advice on joining virtual pc to domain
    By projector1 in forum Thin Client and Virtual Machines
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 7th February 2007, 03:00 PM
  5. RC1 on Win2k3 (R2) Domain
    By Gatt in forum Windows Vista
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 19th September 2006, 09:56 PM

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •