+ Post New Thread
Mac Thread, Display message at login, maybe just once? in Technical; I'd like to be able to display a message at login on our iMacs, perhaps just the once, or maybe ...
    theeldergeek

Display message at login, maybe just once?

I'd like to be able to display a message at login on our iMacs, perhaps just the once, or maybe each time - depends how easy it is to set up and maintain!

At present, I have a student share folder where students can dump files/documents etc for their peers to pick up, utilise, borrow, steal whatever.

At the end of every term I empty this folder as it invariably gathers a lot of rubbish.

I'd like to display a warning message to this effect, warning users that the folder is due to be emptied and that they should recover any work they desire to keep.

Displaying it just the once would be adequate, although a message displayed every time someone logs in would be quite a useful tool too!

This just isn't going to be straightforward is it?

ANY help, hints, tips or pointers very welcome!

Running iMac's with OS X 10.5.* and a shiny xserve

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by theeldergeek View Post
    I'd like to be able to display a message at login on our iMacs, perhaps just the once, or maybe each time - depends how easy it is to set up and maintain!

At present, I have a student share folder where students can dump files/documents etc for their peers to pick up, utilise, borrow, steal whatever.

At the end of every term I empty this folder as it invariably gathers a lot of rubbish.

I'd like to display a warning message to this effect, warning users that the folder is due to be emptied and that they should recover any work they desire to keep.

Displaying it just the once would be adequate, although a message displayed every time someone logs in would be quite a useful tool too!

This just isn't going to be straightforward is it?

ANY help, hints, tips or pointers very welcome!

Running iMac's with OS X 10.5.* and a shiny xserve
    make an apple script or something along those lines using automater or the likes and using OD / managed preferences to make it a login script for the macs

display alert or display dialog

Mac Dev Center: AppleScript Language Guide: Commands Reference
    Last edited by mac_shinobi; 8th December 2009 at 01:53 PM.

3. Thanks to mac_shinobi from:

theeldergeek
    Quote Originally Posted by mac_shinobi View Post
    make an apple script or something along those lines using automater or the likes and using OD / managed preferences to make it a login script for the macs

OK, I think I have an automator workflow that will do what I want (display a message) but I have no idea how to get it saved as a script or where to save it for it to run.

Any ideas?

Thank Post
    elder - do you have a mac server running open directory? If so it's simply a case of deploying this welcome message as you would with any other setting - using workgroup manager.

It has to be applied to a computer group and not a user group.

Select your computer group, go to preferences, and then login. On the window tab, select always, and type in a message in the message box.

You can also change the heading of the login screen to display either directory status, ip address, hostname or a few other useful bits of info.
    Last edited by mbrunt; 8th December 2009 at 03:17 PM.

6. Thanks to mbrunt from:

theeldergeek
    Quote Originally Posted by mbrunt View Post
    elder - do you have a mac server running open directory? If so it's simply a case of deploying this welcome message as you would with any other setting - using workgroup manager.

It has to be applied to a computer group and not a user group.

Select your computer group, go to preferences, and then login. On the window tab, select always, and type in a message in the message box.

You can also change the heading of the login screen to display either directory status, ip address, hostname or a few other useful bits of info.
    Ah, therein lies another problem, I don't have any computer groups set up, only user groups.

My WGM Help seems to not be working either, as I can't find anything on how to set up a computer group.

If I create a new group, I don't see any of the computers on our network listed, only the xserve (which is running OD by the way)

I'll tackle this again tomorrow, time to go home now!

Thank Post
    could be totally off the mark here but going by memory i think i had to get network configs for each computer and add computers into the relevant groups via there network mac addresses and after that seemed to be fine

9. Thanks to mac_shinobi from:

Thank Post
    is your xserve on the same subnet as your mac clients?

have you bound your mac clients to your xserve?

if the answer is yes to both of the above, then your best bet is to make a new computer group and add the macs into it.

if you need any step by step with this then just give me a shout. i can remote assist if needed.

theeldergeek
    Quote Originally Posted by mbrunt View Post
    is your xserve on the same subnet as your mac clients?

have you bound your mac clients to your xserve?
    Yes, and ?

Bound them to our xserve?

Could you enlarge on the latter please

theeldergeek
    Quote Originally Posted by mac_shinobi View Post
    could be totally off the mark here but going by memory i think i had to get network configs for each computer and add computers into the relevant groups via there network mac addresses and after that seemed to be fine
    That seems to have done the trick, but what a chore! I've had to manually add the computers in individually, then add them into a group.

Got the message working now though

13. Thanks to theeldergeek from:

mac_shinobi (9th December 2009)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by theeldergeek View Post
    That seems to have done the trick, but what a chore! I've had to manually add the computers in individually, then add them into a group.

Got the message working now though
    Tell me about it - I had to do that once with ref to the mac address thing totally forgot about WGM and being able to do it that way though , doh !
    Last edited by mac_shinobi; 9th December 2009 at 10:15 AM.

Thank Post
    Yeah - Workgroup Manager is the way forward for all things like this!

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread