+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Mac Thread, Unable to empty trash - permissions problem in Technical; I cannot delete a folder from my trash as I do not have the correct permissions to do so. I ...
    theeldergeek

Unable to empty trash - permissions problem

I cannot delete a folder from my trash as I do not have the correct permissions to do so.

I have tried the "getinfo" and change permissions from there, but I can only set myself to "read only".

I am an admin on the local machine (although the 'trash' folder resides in my network home)

I realise I am going to need to go down to terminal level, but I am unsure how to proceed. My guess is "sudo chown" ...

I have tried sudo chown <name> <path & folder (network)> and I get a password prompt, which I input, but the procedure fails with "Operation not permitted"

Assistance required!

Thank Post
    sudo chmod -R 777 <trash folder> (should then prompt for you to re-enter your local admin account password)
    sudo chown -R user:group <trash folder>

Is your network home on a Mac Server, or a Windows Server?

3. Thanks to Marci from:

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,091 Times in 1,006 Posts
    If you move the folder back to its original location and use batchmod

Home of BatChmod

Download and install the above util and you should be able to drag and drop the problematic folder onto the util and set perms etc as relevant and apply that

Also check to see if there is anything inside of the folder that is having the issues ie permissions or locked files etc

5. Thanks to mac_shinobi from:

theeldergeek
    Quote Originally Posted by Marci View Post
    sudo chmod -R 777 <trash folder> (should then prompt for you to re-enter your local admin account password)

Is your network home on a Mac Server, or a Windows Server?
    Network home is on an xserve

theeldergeek
    Grrrrrr!!

I still can't get it to work.

I am putting this into terminal :

sudo chmod -R 777 tim /Network/Servers/<server name>.<domain>/Volumes/Data/Machomes/tim/.Trash

(I am getting the path by dragging the offending file into terminal and then deleting text back to '.Trash')

It returns me to the prompt.

Then I put :

sudo chown -R user <trash folder path>

Initially, I had to put a password in. I put my password is as I am an admin on the machine. Now, when I subsequently input the commands, I'm not getting prompted for a password.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Tx2online View Post
    Grrrrrr!!

I still can't get it to work.

I am putting this into terminal :

sudo chmod -R 777 tim /Network/Servers/<server name>.<domain>/Volumes/Data/Machomes/tim/.Trash

(I am getting the path by dragging the offending file into terminal and then deleting text back to '.Trash')

It returns me to the prompt.

Then I put :

sudo chown -R user <trash folder path>

Initially, I had to put a password in. I put my password is as I am an admin on the machine. Now, when I subsequently input the commands, I'm not getting prompted for a password.
    you doing this from the xserve itself either remoted into the xserve or on the xserve itself or you doing this from a client apple mac ?

Also what type of account are you logged in as on the xserve, an AD domain account, local admin account on the xserve or what exactly ?
    Last edited by mac_shinobi; 16th November 2009 at 03:44 PM.

theeldergeek
    Quote Originally Posted by mac_shinobi View Post
    you doing this from the xserve itself either remoted into the xserve or on the xserve itself or you doing this from a client apple mac ?

Also what type of account are you logged in as on the xserve, an AD domain account, local admin account on the xserve or what exactly ?
    I'm doing it from my own client machine, which I think is probably wrong, otherwise you'd not be asking me

We don't have our Mac network bound to AD; I can log into the xserve using Remote Desktop as a local admin if need be.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Tx2online View Post
    I'm doing it from my own client machine, which I think is probably wrong, otherwise you'd not be asking me

We don't have our Mac network bound to AD; I can log into the xserve using Remote Desktop as a local admin if need be.
    I would try that and try above advise again

theeldergeek
    If you move the folder back to its original location and use batchmod

Home of BatChmod

Download and install the above util and you should be able to drag and drop the problematic folder onto the util and set perms etc as relevant and apply that

Also check to see if there is anything inside of the folder that is having the issues ie permissions or locked files etc
    I'm afraid BatChmod didn't do the trick, however, I can't move the folder out of Trash, it just copies it.

Thank Post

theeldergeek
    I would try that and try above advise again
    I did just that, with no obvious success.

However, whilst on the server (remotely) i then went to Finder > go folder > path to .trash

I saw the files that were in my trash there, so dragged them to the trash on the xserve. I was then able to empty the remaining problem free files from the trash on my client machine.

I haven't tried emptying trash on the xserve, but that can wait!

Thank Post
    First problem... no username for chmod. The above command should NOT have "tim" after the 777... Only chown requires username, but then it requires username and group name... so for us (where ours are Windows Network accounts) to chown a file for myself it'd be:

sudo chmod -R 777 <path to whatever> [this makes the folder read/write/execute allowed for everone, and the -R makes it recursive, so anything inside that folder also ends up the same]
    sudo chown -R mcoyles:"HORBURY\Domain Admins" <path to whatever> [this sets myself as the owner of the folder, with -R as above]

It'll only prompt you for password the first time you sudo a command in a terminal session. You're then authenticated as able to sudo for the remainder of the session, so it won't prompt you for it again unless you quit terminal and reopen.

So... time to get all logical.

Open a terminal...

Code:
    ls -l /Network/Servers/<server name>.<domain>/Volumes/Data/Machomes/tim/
    Copy and paste the output of ls -l to the thread so we can see the current permissions and ownership on the file.

15. Thanks to Marci from:

theeldergeek
    Copy and paste the output of ls -l to the thread so we can see the current permissions and ownership on the file.
    ls -l /Network/Servers/server.domain/Volumes/Data/MacHomes/tim

drwxr-x---+ 10 tim staff 296 Nov 16 15:38 Desktop
    drwxr-x---+ 11 tim staff 330 Nov 3 16:03 Documents
    drwxr-x---+ 7 tim staff 264 Oct 16 15:18 Downloads
    drwxr-x---+ 49 tim staff 1622 Sep 16 12:14 Library
    drwxr-x---+ 7 tim staff 264 Jun 30 14:42 Movies
    drwxr-x---+ 5 tim staff 264 Oct 29 15:05 Music
    drwxr-x---+ 5 tim staff 264 Mar 20 2009 Pictures
    drwxr-x---+ 4 tim staff 264 Mar 13 2008 Public
    drwxr-x---+ 6 tim staff 264 Mar 13 2008 Sites

Is that what you require?

The offending file that wouldn't delete, has gone now (via an alternative method) but I am extremely grateful for your explanation, particularly as I had entered 'tim' where I shouldn't!

Thank Post
    You can also chown just the user or group name. Chown -R username /folder to own. For groups, slightly different chown -R :group name /folder for group to chown.

Thank Post
    The offending file that wouldn't delete, has gone now (via an alternative method) but I am extremely grateful for your explanation, particularly as I had entered 'tim' where I shouldn't!
    Ah... can't show you then.... n/mind!! But... have a read of Mac Dev Center: File System Overview: BSD Permissions and Ownership

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast