+ Post New Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Mac Thread, Snow Leopard AD Integration woes in Technical; I have this issue on just about every site with a .local domain, and some even without. 9 times out ...

Thank Post
    I have this issue on just about every site with a .local domain, and some even without. 9 times out of 10 the issue is solved by setting the mDNS timeout value to 5ms from the default of 2ms as per the Apple article linked a few posts above (the forum won't let me re-link it here as this is my first post but the URL is support dot apple dot com/kb/TS3248)

If you have tried setting this as high as 10, and are STILL losing bindings after a reboot or network transition I would be very interested to hear from you as this is extremely common for me but have always been able to solve. You can of course push out a modified Info.plist as per the path in the article via ARD if you have this occurring very intermittently and it is not easy to test conclusively without 'real world' usage.

Thank Post
    There do seem to be mixed reactions here. The script is still working a treat at our site, but perhaps if it's not the same for everyone, or there are still very intermittent issues, then it's a sign of a more deep-rooted problem and/or an issue on multiple fronts. This is something Apple really needs to do something about in my opinion. Our perception was very much that we had bought a product that was thoroughly incapable of its intended use. I'm not aware of this problem occurring on Linux, so it sounds like Messrs Granny Smith REALLY need to take a thorough look at their mDNS code (or whatever else is causing the problem)...

mbrunt, that was one of my first throughts, as there are command-line tools to do that. It just gets a bit "messy" on the AD side of things.

mbrunt and speckytecky, PM me if you like and we can go through it over the phone? Also, speckytecky, how can you "knowingly forget" something? :P

3. Thanks to Ephelyon from:

speckytecky (24th September 2010)

Thank Post
    Well its weird because im sure the mdns timeout change didnt work for me at first, so I looked at your script and just couldnt do it (maybe i wasnt concentrating enough or getting my head pecked too much or something) but anyway, i then went to sort a script that would unbind and rebind at every system boot, I would have been happy with this, but then midway through this i decided to retry the mdns timeout change and suprise....it worked!

I'm yet to test this out in the actual mac lab in question but if it works I'll be happy, i've set my timeout to a massive....10...so hopefully that should sort everything.

If anyone does want to discuss this over the phone then that is fine, i can easily sort out a conf call from my work if needed.

Thank Post
    That might be a good idea for those still having problems with the script or in general.

Thank Post
    touch wood, everythings working at this end.

Thank Post
    I've tried this script as well as setting the mDNS interval to 10s as per apple's article, neither worked. Still get users who start up and have the 'domain not responding' show up.

Although I didn't read too deeply, and as we have local accounts under the 'administrator' name, that could be the culprit. I'll give it another whirl looking up a different AD account, and report back.

I was also interested in the logging. I have the script setup with the proper permissions to run at startup, and I don't see any notifications in the console that it is having any issues running, but a log file is not being produced. Is there a permissions change that needs to be applied in order for this to work, or perhaps I just did something incorrectly?

Thanks
    Last edited by CAJensen; 23rd September 2010 at 08:36 PM.

Thank Post
    Have to say we're having far less problems now. I did have to re-bind a few iMacs the other day running 10.6.2 but I've been updating all our macbooks to 10.6.4 and so far (touch wood) I havent had a single case of it not responding.

Its good that there are now a few things to try though if the problem does reoccur - there was hardly anything when I first made this thread!

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Thanks Ephelyon - getting old that's the memory thing. hopefully make contact when I'm at that school next Thursday for a run through?

Quote Originally Posted by Ephelyon View Post
    There do seem to be mixed reactions here. The script is still working a treat at our site, but perhaps if it's not the same for everyone, or there are still very intermittent issues, then it's a sign of a more deep-rooted problem and/or an issue on multiple fronts. This is something Apple really needs to do something about in my opinion. Our perception was very much that we had bought a product that was thoroughly incapable of its intended use. I'm not aware of this problem occurring on Linux, so it sounds like Messrs Granny Smith REALLY need to take a thorough look at their mDNS code (or whatever else is causing the problem)...

mbrunt, that was one of my first throughts, as there are command-line tools to do that. It just gets a bit "messy" on the AD side of things.

mbrunt and speckytecky, PM me if you like and we can go through it over the phone? Also, speckytecky, how can you "knowingly forget" something? :P

Thank Post
    We have been running a suite of macs and an xserve integrated into our AD on a CC4 network. However this summer due to a raid failure we had to reinstall and rebind. Despite all our effort we cannot get is working properly. Whilst clients can log on they are not getting the correct preferences applied as per WGM. Also Deploystudio will not image from a client or deploy images without hanging. I say this because your (AntonioRocco) previous comment suggests that these problems with AD integration may have unique problems with a CC4 network. Is this the case and do you have any suggestions that may break the deadlock?
    Last edited by macgreen; 17th October 2011 at 07:42 PM.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123