+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Mac Thread, Windows licence for bootcamp installation in Technical; Originally Posted by john Ah so I was right, if your using it as a separate OS like I do ...
    Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by john View Post
    Ah so I was right, if your using it as a separate OS like I do on our Apple at work and my Macbook, unless you have SA, which unless you have Schools Agreement its an add-on, you do need a full retail copy, but if your replacing it your fine without.

Talk about confusing, and if you think this is bad wait until you try working out your standard Windows stuff!!!!
    you crack me up.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by chinesewhispers View Post
    So I need to find a supplier who can do me a good price for this setup.
    Theres a difference between Open and Select agreements. Select Agreements tend to offer cheaper licenses. AFAIK if you're on an Academic Select Agreement then the prices are set regardless of volume - but I could easily be wrong here. Our LEA has a master agreement which all school in the County purchase through. Could be worth talking to your LEA about VLK purchases. Also I find Phoenix Software (Software Licensing, Software Asset Management (SAM) and IT Services:Phoenix Software Ltd) good for licenses.

I have more questions on licensing, but I think they won't be in the Mac section.
    Ask away, we love licensing questions here

Let's hope we've got this right, this post is already top 5/6 in google for 'windows licence bootcamp', higher if you add 'volume' to the query.
    Only top 5/6. This is Edugeek - we should be number 1

Thank Post
    OK, let's spice things up a bit.

For hypothetical purposes, let's say I did manage to overwrite the existing Mac OS and install Windows as the only OS on a Mac. This is legitimate using just a correct vlk (it seems).

What if I then want to make the system dual boot with another OS such as Linux?

I assume my Windows licence is still valid, none of the hardware is changing.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    As far as the Windows license, any version, Mac License, GPL, etc are concerned - you can dual boot, triple boot, quad boot, whatever to your hearts content. You just need a valid license for each instance of each OS installed. Same goes for Virtual Machines. You can run as meny as you like with what ever combination of OS's you see fit so long as each OS used is correctly licensed for the number of times it is used.

Makes sense? Thought not

Thank Post
    So, if we have Macs with Tiger installed, upgrade them to Windows (using VLK, but not SA), then install Leopard or Snow Leopard alongside, is that OK?

I am trying to be awkward and facetious, I don't actually want or intend to do this, but is it legal (assuming the OS X that I put back on is a full licence of course).

Thank Post
    So, if we have Macs with Tiger installed, upgrade them to Windows (using VLK, but not SA), then install Leopard or Snow Leopard alongside, is that OK?
    doesn't it destroy the windows partition/install if you were to do that ?

Surely it's easier just to purchase the requisite number of VLKs w/ SA. With some volume license agreements SA is not an added cost extra i think.

If you purchase from your LA who have a select agreement as tmcd35 says, they purchase the orginial licenses with SA or the orginial license comes with SA, so even though you might not get the specific SA benefits arising from that [because it's the authorities agreement with microsoft/ms reseller],
    nonetheless the licenses you purchase are covered as far as being able to install windows on a mac any which way you like. Plus, you save a bundle on not having to buy retail licenses.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

I am trying to be awkward and facetious, I don't actually want or intend to do this, but is it legal (assuming the OS X that I put back on is a full licence of course).
    So long as the versions of Leopard or Snow Leopard are full retail priced versions and not upgrade priced versions.

Thank Post
    The way i ready the scenarios Tiger isn't one of the OSes that are granted the upgrade rights, unless the scenario was just an example one.

I do have a question of my own though. Do Microsoft view other OSes such as OS X 10.5 as clients in their own right thus needing a CAL for each OS if it connects to their servers whether it be exchange or just server 2003 file servers?

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by HodgeHi View Post
    The way i ready the scenarios Tiger isn't one of the OSes that are granted the upgrade rights, unless the scenario was just an example one.

I do have a question of my own though. Do Microsoft view other OSes such as OS X 10.5 as clients in their own right thus needing a CAL for each OS if it connects to their servers whether it be exchange or just server 2003 file servers?
    Yes. AFAIK I CAL is needed for any device that can retrieve non-web based data of any kind from the server. Be it a printer, mac, pc, wireless access point, etc. Even a NAS box, if it uses AD for authentication, would need it's own CAL.

Website access and print queue access are exempt from the CAL requirement, I think...

10. Thanks to tmcd35 from:

HodgeHi (20th October 2009)

Thank Post
    So does that mean 1 CAL per device or 1 CAl per device per OS?

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    I'd go per Device. Brings up an interesting question if you run half a dozen machines in VM's... I think I feel a migraine coming on...

13. Thanks to tmcd35 from:

Thank Post
    What is the CAL connected to? the Server or the client? I am trying to get away from the nonsense that is CAL licensing to the extent where i am possibly looking to use my OS X Server to provide most if not all of the services and use it to manage the Windows Clients.

I have yet to test this in production though.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Depends on the licensing model used. There are two types of CAL - per device and per connection.

Per connection belongs to the server and so you need 1 CAL for each simultaneous connection to that server. If you have 500 users and 3 servers that's potentially 1500 CALs.

Per device belongs to the device. 1 CAL for the device and it can access any server. In the above example assuming all 500 users have their own PC thats 500 CALs not 1500.

With the exception of Terminal Server CALs, which require a license server, the number of CALs you have are not physically recorded anywhere. Microsoft trust you to purchase the appropriate number of CALs to cover the users/devices on your network.

16. Thanks to tmcd35 from:

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12