+ Post New Thread
Mac Thread, Mac software updates - index.sucatalog not found? in Technical; We have enabled the Software Update service on our xserve, and it has downloaded the most recent updates, as you ...
    theeldergeek

Mac software updates - index.sucatalog not found?

We have enabled the Software Update service on our xserve, and it has downloaded the most recent updates, as you would expect.

In Workgroup Manager, we have pointed the updates to http ://xserve.domain.schoolname.e-sussex.sch.uk:8088/index.sucatalog (ignore the space after HTTP, that was just to avoid URL formatting within this message)

When we manually run Software update on the clients, it says it cannot find the index.sucatalog file.

Firstly, are we giving the correct path to the file, and if so, why can it not find it? If we aren't giving the correct path, what should it be?

I have read on the Apple discussions site about failed index.sucatalog updates, there is seemingly no long term working fix and is considered a bug in the OS. The discussion can be found here - http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?threadID=1242822. Unfortunately, the proposed 'fix' is a little beyond my means as I don't really understand some of the terminology or indeed where (or how) to find the file in question.

Our server is standalone, in that it isn't bound to Windows Active Directory or LDAP, it is just a member of the domain.

Help will be greatly appreciated. I have checked previous threads on the matter, but none have mention of this specific problem.

As a point of interest for me, where does the Software Update service download updates to, in other words, what folder/directory on the xserve stores them?
    Last edited by theeldergeek; 9th October 2009 at 09:42 AM.

Thank Post
    Hi

Assuming DNS services are resolving correctly which version of the Server is it?

For 10.4/10.5 Server the url is: >http://yourserver.domain.com:8088/<
    For 10.6 Server the url is: >http://yourserver.domain.com:8088/catalogs.sucatalog<

10.5 SUS can only 'serve' updates for 10.5 and 10.4 operating systems. In other words if some of your client computers are 10.6 they won't be able to receive any OS specific updates. They may get an error message along the lines of "no updates available" or "your computer is fully up-to-date". 10.6 SUS can 'serve' updates for 10.4, 10.5 and 10.6. Some updates common to 10.4, 10.5 and 10.6 should be downloadable? For example iTunes etc.

I've not had any experience with 10.6 Server yet so I'm not sure if this applicable?

Regardless of which Server version it is downloads are stored in: /usr/share/swupd/html. To access /usr select the 'Go to Folder' option from the Go Menu and type in /usr. For want of a better description you're accessing the mac equivalent to Windows Registry. Although it's not really the same. Don't be tempted to 'fiddle' with any of these files using the Finder as you could upset the OS or even break it. Better to use a terminal editor such as pico or nano or vi etc.

BSD directories and sub-directories are 'hidden' for good reason.

If you find updates are filling up the boot drive you can create another directory elsewhere and use symlink (via the command line) to 'point' /usr/share/swupd/html to that directory.

The Admin Manual does outline what you can do:

http://support.apple.com/manuals/#se...rprisesoftware

Don't panic if all you see are manuals for 10.6. Use the Search feature and you will find Admin manuals for earlier versions.

Hope this helps?

Antonio Rocco (ACSA)
    Last edited by AntonioRocco; 9th October 2009 at 11:06 AM.

Thank Post
    Have you checked your DNS settings ? If you type the address into safari what happens ? Does it work with the IP address rather than the FQDN ?

Richard

theeldergeek
    Quote Originally Posted by AntonioRocco View Post
    Hi

Assuming DNS services are resolving correctly which version of the Server is it?

For 10.4/10.5 Server the url is: >http://yourserver.domain.com:8088/<
    For 10.6 Server the url is: >http://yourserver.domain.com:8088/catalogs.sucatalog<

10.5 SUS can only 'serve' updates for 10.5 and 10.4 operating systems. In other words if some of your client computers are 10.6 they won't be able to receive any OS specific updates. They may get an error message along the lines of "no updates available" or "your computer is fully up-to-date". 10.6 SUS can 'serve' updates for 10.4, 10.5 and 10.6. Some updates common to 10.4, 10.5 and 10.6 should be downloadable? For example iTunes etc.

I've not had any experience with 10.6 Server yet so I'm not sure if this applicable?

Regardless of which Server version it is downloads are stored in: /usr/share/swupd/html. To access /usr select the 'Go to Folder' option from the Go Menu and type in /usr. For want of a better description you're accessing the mac equivalent to Windows Registry. Although it's not really the same. Don't be tempted to 'fiddle' with any of these files using the Finder as you could upset the OS or even break it. Better to use a terminal editor such as pico or nano or vi etc.

BSD directories and sub-directories are 'hidden' for good reason.

If you find updates are filling up the boot drive you can create another directory elsewhere and use symlink (via the command line) to 'point' /usr/share/swupd/html to that directory.

The Admin Manual does outline what you can do:

Apple - Support - Manuals

Don't panic if all you see are manuals for 10.6. Use the Search feature and you will find Admin manuals for earlier versions.

Hope this helps?

Antonio Rocco (ACSA)
    We are running 10.5.8 on both server and the client we are trying to get this to work on.

Just doing some work on DNS, will report back soonest.

In respect of moving the updates 'store', is there a walkthrough for this? I can see this becoming a problem at some point otherwise; or can you simply delete what is in there, the system subsequently downloading any updates that are required thereafter?

theeldergeek
    OK,

DNS is fine, all been checked out.

In Workgroup Manager on the xserve, the update 'address' has been amended as per the earlier advised format.

When I run a manual update on the client, I still get the message that index.sucatalog can not be found on the server.

Any ideas?

Thank Post
    Hi

Are the clients actually getting the Preference? To verify what MCX Clients are receiving log-in on the affected client as the local admin. Select 'About This Mac' from the Apple Menu. In the resulting dialog box click on 'More Info'. In the Left Hand Contents Pane scroll down to the Software Section. You should see a 'Managed Client' entry. Inspect what's listed there.

Alternatively navigate to /Library/Managed Preferences. Apart from other things you should see a com.apple.MCX.SoftwareUpdate.plist (can't quite remember the actual wording) or something similar.

If you see none of these or if you do and it's still not working, remove the folder and restart. On the client can you launch a browser and key in the SUS url. Do you see the contents of the html folder?

Yes you can simply delete what's in /usr/share/swupd/html. Stop the Service first and use the command line. Something like:

sudo rm -R -v /fullpathtodownloadsfolder

Don't delete the Parent folder. You can 'drag-drop' the folder into the Shell to provide the full path. The -v flag will list what's been deleted. You could also add the -i flag to prompt you for every deletion. This can get boring as there will be a lot of directories. Once you're done restart the Service and everything should start downloading again.

Sometimes the sucatalog index file can't be created because of syncing problems with Apple's Updates Servers. This could be because of a problem with the Updates Servers or a problem with the Internet Connection or if you're trying to do this via a Proxy/Content Filter. Apple's SUS is not supported when behind a Proxy. Sometimes it even struggles behind an on-site transparent Proxy that in turn has to negotiate an LEA proxy upstream.

A 'walkthrough' for symlinking is provided in the Admin Manual, page 85

Antonio Rocco (ACSA)
    Last edited by AntonioRocco; 9th October 2009 at 01:49 PM.

Thank Post
    i've had this recently on a few of mine and after rebooting the server & clients it worked again, may be worth giving it a go.

theeldergeek
    Hi

Are the clients actually getting the Preference? To verify what MCX Clients are receiving log-in on the affected client as the local admin. Select 'About This Mac' from the Apple Menu. In the resulting dialog box click on 'More Info'. In the Left Hand Contents Pane scroll down to the Software Section. You should see a 'Managed Client' entry. Inspect what's listed there.
    Logged in as a local admin, not a network user - the entry is empty

Alternatively navigate to /Library/Managed Preferences. Apart from other things you should see a com.apple.MCX.SoftwareUpdate.plist (can't quite remember the actual wording) or something similar.
    Following that path, I see but 1 folder within relating to the 1 network user who uses the machine, i.e. me. Within 'my' folder, is a com.apple.SoftwareUpdate.plist file

There is also a com.apple.MCX.plist and complete.plist.

This is all within the /Library/Managed Preferences/'network_user' folder on the main drive.

There are no other files or folders in there.

If you see none of these or if you do and it's still not working, remove the folder and restart.
    Delete the Managed Preferences folder along with the network user folder therein?

On the client can you launch a browser and key in the SUS url. Do you see the contents of the html folder?
    No contents, just error message in Safari "unable to determine IP address from host name for server.domain:8088

Sometimes the sucatalog index file can't be created because of syncing problems with Apple's Updates Servers. This could be because of a problem with the Updates Servers or a problem with the Internet Connection or if you're trying to do this via a Proxy/Content Filter. Apple's SUS is not supported when behind a Proxy. Sometimes it even struggles behind an on-site transparent Proxy that in turn has to negotiate an LEA proxy upstream.
    The downloads are seemingly hitting the server as they are all listed thereon, but the 'link' betwixt clients and server can't be made. The clients are configured to go via a proxy under network preferences, so will that affect the updates coming directly off the server in some way?

A 'walkthrough' for symlinking is provided in the Admin Manual, page 85
    Don't happen to have a link to this, please?

Thanks for the help thus far. We REALLY want to get this working!
    Last edited by theeldergeek; 14th October 2009 at 01:51 PM.

Thank Post
    Hi

"Logged in as a local admin, not a network user - the entry is empty"

Not unusual in itself although I would have expected you to see something? It depends on how you're applying MCX.

"Following that path, I see but 1 folder within relating to the 1 network user who uses the machine, i.e. me. Within 'my' folder, is a com.apple.SoftwareUpdate.plist file"

From this it seems you're applying MCX to AD Users nested in an OD Group. I find SUS as a managed preference is better applied to a Computer Group.

"There is also a com.apple.MCX.plist and complete.plist. This is all within the /Library/Managed Preferences/'network_user' folder on the main drive. There are no other files or folders in there"

This is normal and what I would expect to see based on the information provided

"Delete the Managed Preferences folder along with the network user folder therein?"

Deleting the Managed Preferences folder from /Library is a good troubleshooting method when and if Managed Preferences get stuck or are not being applied properly. To fully clear the mcx_cache and in addition to deleting the Managed Preferences folder launch Terminal on the client and issue this command:

sudo dscl . -delete /Config/mcx_cache

It's a good idea to restart the client afterwards. You can do this remotely using ARD to a whole suite of mac clients if you wish.

"No contents, just error message in Safari "unable to determine IP address from host name for server.domain:8088"

This sounds like a DNS issue to me. If clients can't resolve server names to IP addresses on both pointers then it's time to check your DNS Service.

"The downloads are seemingly hitting the server as they are all listed thereon, but the 'link' betwixt clients and server can't be made. The clients are configured to go via a proxy under network preferences, so will that affect the updates coming directly off the server in some way?"

Yes. As already mentioned Apple's SUS struggles to work when a Proxy is involved. Not only do you have to negotiate the Proxy in the first place to simply download the updates but you have to make sure mac clients bypass the Proxy to access the server correctly.

On a client Mac log in as the local admin select Server Preferences from the Apple Menu > Network > Advanced > Proxies. In the "Bypass proxy settings for these Hosts & Domains" field key in:

*.local 169.254/16* 10.* *.yourdomain.com

Where 10.* is the first IP Prefix of your local TCP/IP Range. Apply the changes and try again. You can apply the above settings using the networksetup command via ARD. Something like:

sudo networksetup -setproxybypassdomains Ethernet *.local 169.254/16* 10.* *.yourdomain.com

You may have to experiment with these settings.

"Don't happen to have a link to this, please?"

http://manuals.info.apple.com/en_US/...dmin_v10.5.pdf

Page 85, fourth line down. The one that starts:

To move the software update folder in Terminal (to save downloaded updates):
    $ mv /usr/share/swupd/html /new_storage_location

Does this help?

Antonio Rocco (ACSA)

10. Thanks to AntonioRocco from:

Vortex566 (20th January 2010)

theeldergeek

Does this help?
    I'll digest it all first and make sure I understand what I'm doing before I actually tackle it, then I'll let you know.

Nonetheless, thanks for your help thus far.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread