+ Post New Thread
Mac Thread, Defining User Dock Icons in Technical; Hello, We currently have a OD-AD Triangle set up. We are having an issue with the Dock preferences for users. ...

Thank Post

Defining User Dock Icons

Hello,

We currently have a OD-AD Triangle set up. We are having an issue with the Dock preferences for users. We are specifying in WGM exactly the icons we want to show up in the student docks. This is working. Except, behind the icons we've specified the students are still getting a few icons that that we have not specified (that I suppose the local machines are putting there). How can we avoid this and only have the icons we specify in WGM show up?

Thanks!
    Shane

Thank Post
    The best way would be to enable simple dock and add items to it, when we done this we had to install the programs and remove them from the dock with the local admin account, this seams to work a trick, hope this helps s

Thank Post
    Hi

De-select the 'Merge with User's Dock' option. Leaving this selected means network users who log in get the local admin account's dock setting as well.

The other possibility is the preference is being managed at different levels? For example a set of applications defined for the Dock at Group Level as well as Computer Level. If there is an application(s) defined at one level and a different application(s) at the other then these will combine and/or accumulate. If the Dock Setting allows Safari for the Group but denies it for the Computer the Computer setting will override the Group.

Unlike AD the order of Preferences are User, Computer, Group.

Antonio Rocco (ACSA)

Thank Post
    Hi,

Thanks guys. We did deselect the "merge" option. I should mention this is in a "Golden Triangle" scenario. So, there are no individual or computer level settings. There are only groups in the OD Master with users coming from the AD.

Do you mean that each machine has the dock items enabled? I'm not familiar with where I would go at the machine level to determine dock preferences for network users?!

Shane

Thank Post
    i Have noticed the same thing. I thought that maybe it was just something that i myself had caused when setting up the users home dirs since they had their own dock plist file inside their preferences IIRC. But then the setting should override this. I will look into this again on Monday.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread