+ Post New Thread
Mac Thread, Final Cut & Logic network user problems in Technical; Hi everyone I've been a long time lurker in this forum and your threads and posts have always been very ...
    Thank Post

Final Cut & Logic network user problems

Hi everyone

I've been a long time lurker in this forum and your threads and posts have always been very helpful.

The situation:

We have 3 suites of macs ranging in age from 4yrs to brand new this summer, they are all connected to Active Directory via the usual way and that all works fine.
    I have just been given Final Cut Pro 7 and Logic Studio to install and image over the next week. I have installed both without much in the way of problems (apart from hard disk space in the older machines!) and both run fine under the local admin account.

The problem:

Once the machines have been added to active directory and I log in as a test student Final Cut will not start. It goes through all the 'adding templates' etc and then just stops, the icon disappears from the dock and no more is heard, no error, nothing.
    After looking through the console I *think* it is getting stuck at this line:-

compressord[88]: installing XSanTest signal handler for SIGUSR1 (_xsanTestFlag = 0)

This is the line that completes with and admin account, without admin rights you don't even see it. The line above would suggest to me that its trying to install something (which you need admin rights for) to check to see if you have an XSan.

Has anyone else come across this and found a way around it? I could give all users full read/write access to the hard drive and that cures the problem but I don't really want the little darlings having that amount of access.

I've given a folder on the hard drive call Final Cut read/write access to be used as a scratch disk and a cache store but that doesn't seem to have helped the problem.

I get the same sort of error with Logic (loads loops etc then just closes), although I have been able to trouble shoot it at present.

If anyone can help me with either of these problems then I would be truly grateful and apologies for the wall of text!

Thanks

James

Thank Post
    I just installed Logic Studio on our Macs (that site license is a bargain!) and I'm hearing you regarding the hard disk space!

I don't have the Logic problem from the testing that I have done. Have you done anything unusaul in the way of storing homedrives or increasing security on the Applications folder?

Also, what version of OS X do you run? I'm using Leopard and Tiger.

You may also find something in one of the log files (use Console to search these).

Thank Post
    Thanks for the reply, as far as I know the settings are "out of the box" for homedrives and applications folder (unless our system manager has put anything on the windows end of the user directorys).

I've just worked out how to access the system.log so will trawl through that and see if I come up with anything useful.

Cheers
    James

Thank Post
    I had a similar problem with Final Cut express our tech support said it was a permissions problem with some library folders and recommended that I run the following

From Remote Desktop, push this command out to all the iMacs using the "Send UNIX Command" button

chmod -R 777 /Library/Application\ Support/Final\ Cut\ Express\ Support

Make sure you run the command as user "root" as well
    Unfortunately I'm no unix/mac expert so I can add any more to this but given your having a similar issue I hope this helps

5. Thanks to Face-Man from:

jlucas (26th August 2009)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Face-Man View Post
    I had a similar problem with Final Cut express our tech support said it was a permissions problem with some library folders and recommended that I run the following

Unfortunately I'm no unix/mac expert so I can add any more to this but given your having a similar issue I hope this helps

You, Sir, are a genius, I've been tearing my hair out over this for 2 days and your code solves it perfectly. Just had to tweak it to work with final cut pro.

Thank you very much!!

Also the Logic problem was due to the systems manager moving the students home directories to the new storage and thus being read only. Change to normal permissions and Logic works fine.

James
    Last edited by jlucas; 26th August 2009 at 10:19 AM.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread