+ Post New Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
Mac Thread, Snow Leopard - Aug 28th - £25 each in Technical; ...

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,109 Times in 1,016 Posts
    Windows 7 is what microsoft should of released as Vista release Canidate 2 but microsoft still naffed up windows vista just like they did with windows millenium yet they are charging I think about £100 for it where as Snow Leopard is only £25 and although its an upgrade disc you can still do a full install using the upgrade disc which is what I did.

I was dis appointed about zfs not being released but am guessing that was down to stability of the OS when they tried to combine zfs with there OS so for the time being must of left it out.

Security wise I think both MS and apple are a bit slow with updates as I have seen a few programmers blogs where they have made modified versions of dll's and other windows items to combat security holes - thats not to say that now that apple is becoming more and more popular that its 100% effective against security holes but as per here

Quote Originally Posted by kingswood
    A lot of your post was highly subjective (just like mine) and at the end of the day people will buy whatever suits their career/gaming/personal/creative/whatever needs. And it's good to have so much choice!!
    Quote Originally Posted by kingswood

Apple computers crashing more than Windows XP? You did say "in your experience" so that might be the case. But I wouldn't be able to count on one hand XP "crashing" (if by that you mean a BSOD) on one of my VMs, netbook or other PC at home in the last two years. And neither has OS X (I have had one kernel panic in that time, but that was my fault and quickly rectified). Operating systems across the board are getting pretty solid these days.
    On my old ( now sold ) PowerBook G4 that I had, I only had 2 kernel panics versus more then I can count on my fingers and toes that windows xp has had ( yes one on the powerbook was my fault and I fixed that easily enough and a couple on xp were my fault but again fixed easily enough )

There was an article that was posted on edugeek about how vista randomly loads the OS into different memory space where as OS X does not do that - am not sure if that makes it more secure or not.
    Last edited by mac_shinobi; 1st September 2009 at 07:55 AM.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,378 Times in 842 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I hate to say it but for £25 you get NO NEW FEATURES (Apples own words) so you ARE buying a service pack people where as 7 is a new release WITH new features.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,109 Times in 1,016 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ZeroHour View Post
    I hate to say it but for £25 you get NO NEW FEATURES (Apples own words) so you ARE buying a service pack people where as 7 is a new release WITH new features.
    Service Pack I hear you say ?

Sorry but I don't recall apple or even Microsoft ( shock oh horror ) releasing a 64 bit version of there operating system as a service pack or even for free

If you had 32 bit version of windows 7 and wanted to go 64 bit you would either have to purchase an upgrade disc ( should one exist - not sure if it does or not ) or re purchase the full version of windows 7 that is 64 bit and last time I checked I'm sure it was still more then £25.

Before I purchased it I knew it wasn't about features it was about the inner workings ie going from 32 bit to 64 bit, yes they updated quicktime and added one or two minor things and ok the anti maleware thing wasn't brilliant as its only against 2 malwares

At the end of the day it was my money to spend that I earnt and I spent it on snow leopard and it wasnt exactly bank breaking.

Windows with new features ? I'm sure OS X has had the expose thing for a long time so maybe new for windows but not exactly new for OS X

Not starting a flame war but just the truth.

Windows 7 is still good in its own way and the expose thing that windows 7 does with web browser ( not sure if its just for internet explorer or if it works for firefox as well ) but allowing you to expose the tabbed windows is good.
    Last edited by mac_shinobi; 1st September 2009 at 01:10 PM.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,859 Times in 1,153 Posts
    Blog Entries
    It's an R2. Feature change is small, UI change is small, core code change is significant but more due to what it removes and tidies rather than what it adds in as extra. The cost is sort of about right for the improvements it gives but not cheap enough to say that it is worth *everyone* to go for it. There are still things that need addressing within the UI and within integration / interoperabilty ... and I can see more areas being dropped or locked out rather than opened up.

The next significant changes will be a cross between hardware changes and code to make us of it. You will find more 'add-on' hardware for devices that will be branded Apple over the coming years (control your TV / stereo / curtains / lights / etc). I am waiting for the first build of Windows 7 to make it to an AppleTV (hardware changes are required IIRC) and see how that goes.

The proposed tablet or other multi-touch device could be an interesting move too ... but it still needs the killer app to go with it. Even if we think of Minority Report style systems ... still not a real need yet.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,801 Times in 1,550 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ZeroHour View Post
    He is right...

Thank Post
    just upgraded here .. and loving the exchange support ... slight problem is my mouse isn't recognised properly and doesn't do all the funky stuff it should do ... oh well

Thank Post
    My disk arrived today - installed no problem on my iMac, but when trying to install on my macbook it says the disk is scratched to remove and wipe and try again!

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by mac_shinobi View Post
    although its an upgrade disc you can still do a full install using the upgrade disc
    And i can download any version of windows (or OSX) off of Isohunt for free, it doesnt make it legal though.
    I think you are missing the point that you have already payed upto several hundred pounds for the OS, and as you can only run it on apple hardware there is little point making people prove they have a licence for OSX.

TBH im quite happy with apples constant suppy of SPs and cutting support for older bits and peices, as with every release osx86 seems to get better and better (Mind ideb 10.5.6 iirc has been rock solid for me and 95% compatible with my hardware, fully working and only missing labels and info)
    Last edited by j17sparky; 1st September 2009 at 10:14 PM.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by DMcCoy View Post
    Apple haven't designed security, they have simply inherited it due to pinching a unix base for it's kernel. Exactly how long was it for that Java patch to turn up?
    Again, I respectfully disagree. In fact I think that is a rather simplistic attitude to take when analysing an operating system. Sure, OS X has inherited (not pinched) a unix base for its kernel. Unix itself has very different security principles to Windows (and I'm glad) - proving my point.

I'm not going to labour the argument about that infamous Java patch that was in fact a non-event. It's pointless really. It was patched and there were easy fixes (i.e. disabling the thing) in the meantime.

A certain large OS provider in early July left a vulnerability they knew about in SMB until the next "milestone" release of the software even though it was marked as moderate risk to users and businesses. This was a validation DoS. It was patched- but later than most would have liked and was a relic of a previous OS release.

So it's ten of one and some of another. I wouldn't like to be the manufacturer of any OS these days- programmers must have a heck of a time meeting the perception of a consumer driven public who think they know better than the developers and designers themselves and second guess every move.

As I said in my previous post- I'm glad we have choice. If you like Windows/Linux/Mac OS X/Unix then that's great and shows that we have that choice. You make your choice and you have to live with the consequences.

Take care mate!
    Last edited by kingswood; 1st September 2009 at 11:12 PM. Reason: another typo

Thank Post
    got my disc yesterday, took about a hour to install though i had to go out so i couldn't have a play with it.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234