+ Post New Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Mac Thread, Snow Leopard - Aug 28th - 25 each in Technical; No so helpful for servers less than 4 years old though. They were happily selling G5 servers well into 2006. ...
    Thank Post
    No so helpful for servers less than 4 years old though. They were happily selling G5 servers well into 2006. I had no choice as Intel ones didn't exist.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by DMcCoy View Post
    No so helpful for servers less than 4 years old though. They were happily selling G5 servers well into 2006. I had no choice as Intel ones didn't exist.
    i agree. We've got an xserve G5, and does what it's supposed to do well enough. The idea of 'upgrading' to an intel xserve for several thousand pounds doesn't to me represent terrific value for money, not when there's as yet not a supported enterprise grade virtualization solution such as esx for the apple servers. Whether many xserve users really want that or actually prefer the idea of being able to do that i don't know, but i am loathed to upgrade from the G5 just to be able to run snow leopard

Thank Post
    Got my copy yesterday.

You can do a clean install on any hard drive with the DVD.
    So in theory you dont need leopard to install the this.

The DVD will start to upgrade the OS but if you use disk utility you can erase the disk and do a clean install from the DVD.

Its running pretty well at the moment, Startup / shutdown seems faster. Stacks & Expose are much better and it takes up a lot less space.

Worth the upgrade ?

. . . . maybe, depends on what you do with your mac

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,030 Times in 955 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jamin100 View Post
    Got my copy yesterday.

You can do a clean install on any hard drive with the DVD.
    So in theory you dont need leopard to install the this.

The DVD will start to upgrade the OS but if you use disk utility you can erase the disk and do a clean install from the DVD.

Its running pretty well at the moment, Startup / shutdown seems faster. Stacks & Expose are much better and it takes up a lot less space.

Worth the upgrade ?

. . . . maybe, depends on what you do with your mac
    still waiting for mine in the post - with regards to installing fresh / clean install do you just insert the snow leopard upgrade disc and boot from it and use the disk util to erase the main drive and then just install it or do you use the leopard disc to erase the hard drive and then swap the leopard disc for the snow leopard disc to install it fresh or what exactly ?

Also is quicktime just quicktime ( no pro version ) ??

Is there anyway of finding out what codecs were included in snow leopard ?

Thank Post
    im happy hard drive space went from 24gb to 46gb after installation very impressed with that

Thank Post
    You can do it all from the snow leopard dvd. Its basically the same process as the old leopard dvd.

Regards to quicktime I don't think its the pro version. But if you already have a key for pro then it will upgrade quicktime (or so I'm told)

Thank Post
    Shame its the bank holiday... I'll just have to wait that little bit longer for my pre-ordered copy to arrive

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,773 Times in 1,100 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Got the family pack this morning and installed on 3 of our 4 macs that will take it (the iMac DVSE can't handle it as mentioned earlier) but leaving the final one as it my wife's desktop (Mac Mini) and there are reported issues with SMART Notebook, which she uses a heck of a lot.

Apple do have a list of software that has compatibilty problems but I would be interested to hear of any more edu apps or open source apps that may have issues.

Thank Post
    Gonna nip down to Sheffield tomorrow and get 4 copies for the Macs in our office

Was going to go down today but been fixing server issues.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,030 Times in 955 Posts
    Paragraph snippet taken from the 2nd link

And her son was the first person in the line, having arrived at 8:00am - 12-year-old Liam Stewart, Mac enthusiast, Java coder, and a fanboi who is an actual fan boy. "I have Vista in a partition on my Mac," he told us, "and I hate it. It crashes all the time, I get blue screens of death, and the start-up times are ridiculous."

Is that one of vista's ways of protecting it from viruses, it randomly keeps crashing so viruses don't have a chance to install or will give you ye old fashioned blue screen of death

Im guessing windows 7 is really vista release canidate 2 ?

Yes I do agree they could of included that - fingers crossed they release it as a software update once they are happy its working ( can but hope )

Also am a bit narked they didn't include ZFS support - maybe later on

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,562 Times in 1,246 Posts
    It would be interesting to get some Snow Leopard and Windows 7 comparisons. Not quite sure how Apple can say it's the best OS in the world. The word 'Best' is such a generic term. Do they mean the available features, the stability, the price, the number of copies sold? Ok maybe not the latter, but still the competition is good.

I genuinely believe if Apple removed the restriction of Apple only hardware it would shift many more copies than it does today.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by mac_shinobi View Post
    Is that one of vista's ways of protecting it from viruses, it randomly keeps crashing so viruses don't have a chance to install or will give you ye old fashioned blue screen of death

Yes I do agree they could of included that - fingers crossed they release it as a software update once they are happy its working ( can but hope )

Also am a bit narked they didn't include ZFS support - maybe later on
    Windows NT, 2000, XP, Vista, 7 do not randomly crash. I have had blue screens from bad RAM, bad HDDs and occasionally the odd badly behaved driver. What people mean when they say it crashes all the time is that they have downloaded "things" from the internet and are unable to fix windows.

Apples crash, more than XP in my experience, despite having a tightly controlled hardware range and no issues with random drivers. Occasionally I even get to see the grey kernel panic screen.

As for the security, I wouldn't hold your breath. Apple just don't care about it. And ZFS is missing because it's not by Apple, and Apple don't like "not Apple" technology.

And while I do like some Apple stuff (I certainly have enough of it here), I do not like their upgrade policy. Those still on 10.5 (god forbid 10.4!) will be outcasts no longer getting any reasonable level of support or the latest release of applications. All this despite using an OS little more than 2 years old.

It's not as if each version is even very new, all it contains is a list of things that should have been fixed in one of the many point(less) releases of the last version. All Apple do is save them up and sell them to you again to fix something that wasn't working in the first place.

14. 2 Thanks to DMcCoy:

john (30th August 2009), webman (1st September 2009)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by DMcCoy View Post
    Windows NT, 2000, XP, Vista, 7 do not randomly crash. I have had blue screens from bad RAM, bad HDDs and occasionally the odd badly behaved driver. What people mean when they say it crashes all the time is that they have downloaded "things" from the internet and are unable to fix windows.

Apples crash, more than XP in my experience, despite having a tightly controlled hardware range and no issues with random drivers. Occasionally I even get to see the grey kernel panic screen.

As for the security, I wouldn't hold your breath. Apple just don't care about it. And ZFS is missing because it's not by Apple, and Apple don't like "not Apple" technology.

And while I do like some Apple stuff (I certainly have enough of it here), I do not like their upgrade policy. Those still on 10.5 (god forbid 10.4!) will be outcasts no longer getting any reasonable level of support or the latest release of applications. All this despite using an OS little more than 2 years old.

It's not as if each version is even very new, all it contains is a list of things that should have been fixed in one of the many point(less) releases of the last version. All Apple do is save them up and sell them to you again to fix something that wasn't working in the first place.
    No problems with Windows 7 here either- it's a very good update to Vista.

Apple computers crashing more than Windows XP? You did say "in your experience" so that might be the case. But I wouldn't be able to count on one hand XP "crashing" (if by that you mean a BSOD) on one of my VMs, netbook or other PC at home in the last two years. And neither has OS X (I have had one kernel panic in that time, but that was my fault and quickly rectified). Operating systems across the board are getting pretty solid these days.

Apple don't care about security? I don't agree. It should be obvious that they do by even a cursory glance at their OS. They may not have the same security priorities as a Windows-based approach *right now*, but there are signs that things may change as the OS becomes more popular.

ZFS is *not* missing because it isn't made by Apple. There were issues with ZFS and builds of Snow Leopard that caused problems (disk utility being one of them). Google it and you will find the information.

Snow Leopard sets the stage for Apple's 64-bit kernel implementation by default some time in the future. In the meantime OS X can utilise 64-bit applications and SL has cleaned up and in many cases improved on Leopard's great foundation. That's not sales pitch- they don't pay me. The same as I think Windows 7 is Vista "done right". A very stable, fast, and effective implementation of Windows that will prove extremely popular. I like it and run Windows 7 on everything from VMs to a gaming system.

A lot of your post was highly subjective (just like mine) and at the end of the day people will buy whatever suits their career/gaming/personal/creative/whatever needs. And it's good to have so much choice!!

Paul
    Last edited by kingswood; 31st August 2009 at 11:41 PM. Reason: typo

16. Thanks to kingswood from:

mac_shinobi (1st September 2009)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by kingswood View Post
    Apple don't care about security? I don't agree. It should be obvious that they do by even a cursory glance at their OS. They may not have the same security priorities as a Windows-based approach *right now*, but there are signs that things may change as the OS becomes more popular.
    Apple haven't designed security, they have simply inherited it due to pinching a unix base for it's kernel. Exactly how long was it for that Java patch to turn up?

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast