+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Mac Thread, Apple loses students to netbooks and Windows in Technical; Another peice of interesting reading, Looks like Apple is feeling the strain due to netbooks, Mabye its time apple jumped ...

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

Apple loses students to netbooks and Windows

Another peice of interesting reading, Looks like Apple is feeling the strain due to netbooks, Mabye its time apple jumped on the netbook bandwagon!

Apple loses students to netbooks and Windows ? The Register

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,675 Times in 1,458 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I read someplace that there would be no apple netbooks, seems abit daft. They are developing a tablet. I would have thought a netbook would have been better as they are more popular

3. Thanks to FN-GM from:

CPLTD (21st August 2009)

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by FN-GM View Post
    I read someplace that there would be no apple netbooks, seems abit daft. They are developing a tablet. I would have thought a netbook would have been better as they are more popular
    I think being Apple you will find its a margin factor as most netbooks dont make vendors any money

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,161 Times in 986 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Mind you, Apple does have a knack of suddenly coming out with an unnanounced product, and the current news on the block is that the majority of Taiwanise laptop manufacturers are all holding back on new models untilt he Apple tablet is launched to see what they have to aim at next. My guess is that the Apple tablet will be a tablet\netbook crossover, and there will be plenty of Wintel copies out by Xmas.

6. Thanks to Dos_Box from:

CPLTD (21st August 2009)

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Dos_Box View Post
    Mind you, Apple does have a knack of suddenly coming out with an unnanounced product, and the current news on the block is that the majority of Taiwanise laptop manufacturers are all holding back on new models untilt he Apple tablet is launched to see what they have to aim at next. My guess is that the Apple tablet will be a tablet\netbook crossover, and there will be plenty of Wintel copies out by Xmas.
    interesting view, makes you think though what makes a netbook , I originally thought it was size but now it has to be cost as the battle between netbook and low cost laptop is in do we think that Apple can break into the budget notebook netbook market because they normally price themselves out of the market,

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,040 Times in 962 Posts
    Obviously not an official one but there is the modbook

Axiotron : Modbook

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,568 Times in 1,250 Posts
    Netbooks are affordable - some costing only $170.00. In contrast, Apple laptops start at $949.00.
    I think this sums it up for me. There is no justification for Apple's high prices and I think this is one area where Apple will lose. Apple's OS X is considerably cheaper to buy than Windows so the profit is made mostly on hardware.

10. Thanks to Michael from:

CPLTD (21st August 2009)

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,675 Times in 1,458 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I wish they where Cheaper, and they are going up and up and up no sign of that ever happening.

12. Thanks to FN-GM from:

CPLTD (21st August 2009)

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,568 Times in 1,250 Posts
    It's clear to me that all companies have niches and Apple just don't shift many desktops or laptops comparatively to some or the larger more competitive OEMs.

Apple clearly have a lot of control with iPod and iTunes, but in saying that, all their music went up in price recently. If they increase it too much people will start shopping around. DRM free music is becoming more common and this allows a true competitive market just as you would find on the high street buying music CDs.

14. Thanks to Michael from:

CPLTD (21st August 2009)

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael View Post
    It's clear to me that all companies have niches and Apple just don't shift many desktops or laptops comparatively to some or the larger more competitive OEMs.

Apple clearly have a lot of control with iPod and iTunes, but in saying that, all their music went up in price recently. If they increase it too much people will start shopping around. DRM free music is becoming more common and this allows a true competitive market just as you would find on the high street buying music CDs.
    Apple's niche is very much prestige and luxury items. It surprises me that they've done as well as they have in a supposed recession, but this may be the first time that people's need to budget is beginning to bite.

16. Thanks to jamesb from:

CPLTD (21st August 2009)

Thank Post
    Apparently the big music companies are trying to remove some of the control that the iTunes store has over the music industry and as a result when amazon and the likes got their DRM free music they got the deal for a lot less than they would give it to Apple.

Also Apple have never stated that they would enter the netbook market and if they did it wouldn't be a budget machine. Netbooks are funny things. The scheme "a laptop for every child" spurred the idea to create a sub-£100 machine and then netbooks all popped up trying to be the cheapest thing around. I have the HP mini note and to be honest i don't use it that much. I find it awkward and fiddly to use.

The screen is generally too small really for anything, and the speed ain't the best either. The battery is shockingly bad

In the end you get what you pay for. Give me my Macbook pro any day. May be expensive but it does everything i need it to and is always ready when i need it (straight from sleep)

18. Thanks to HodgeHi from:

mac_shinobi (21st August 2009)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by HodgeHi View Post

In the end you get what you pay for. Give me my Macbook pro any day. May be expensive but it does everything i need it to and is always ready when i need it (straight from sleep)
    Makes 2 of us and like you say you get what you pay for and also personal opinion and choice - not starting a flame war neither ( I just know someone is going to mention the over heating issue about the 7200 rpm drive ) or something relating to an electronic prison cell or way way too expensive or some form of negative comment lol

Thank Post
    personal opinion doesn't come into it really. Is anyone going to argue that a ferrari is the same as a Punto? Admittedly at the end of the day its just a car but the differences are what they can do.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by HodgeHi View Post
    personal opinion doesn't come into it really. Is anyone going to argue that a ferrari is the same as a Punto? Admittedly at the end of the day its just a car but the differences are what they can do.
    I meant as far as choosing which one you want to buy / purchase / use and or drive because in my opinion apple macs are good ( yes they have there down sides to a degree ) so my choice would be to buy an apple mac where as most on Edugeek would choose an i7 chipset computer as per cpltd ( Simons Edugeek offer ) just as an example and yes I know they are not the same ie a Ferrari versus a pinto etc but If I choose a mac that does not mean to say everyone else will hence all the flame wars on here with windows vs mac etc

Each persons opinion / personal preference is down to a said amount of factors whether it be from experience or recommendations or other factors which am sure you can figure out.
    Last edited by mac_shinobi; 22nd August 2009 at 07:38 AM.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    The Register article says "Apple has little regard for 'the customer is always right'" and also "The low-price, good-enough laptop boat has sailed, and Apple's not on it."

I think the first point isn't right. The right kind of customer is always right when they talk to Apple but Apple is not interested in big chunks of the market for whom "good-enough" is OK.

Apple products are not just "good enough" - engineered down to a low price point. They're engineered up to make sure that they're "as good as they can be"

If you're buying a school full of computers then the extra cost for a Mac is an obstacle and "good enough" probably has to do the job.

If you're buying a single computer to do your job and it's important that the computer does the job properly then a few extra hundred pounds probably doesn't matter.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast