+ Post New Thread
Mac Thread, AD-OD Issues! in Technical; Ive already had a scan through similar threads but those fixes don't seem to work for me! Ive been following ...

Thank Post

AD-OD Issues!

Ive already had a scan through similar threads but those fixes don't seem to work for me!

Ive been following the guides on setting up OD with AD, DNS is all setup and looks to be working. I can add AD students to an OD group and assign MCX preferences successfully, however i cant assign preferences based on AD computers in an OD group.. Should the Client show up in OD when you add it to the directory?

And i cant get the users home drives to appear, Ive worked out DFS isn't supported, and Ive tried various fixes regarding permissions for students. From the Mac i can manually connect via an SMB://Server/Share/username route.

Other then starting the whole lot again is there anything simple i can check?

Cheers
    Last edited by PRicho; 18th August 2009 at 12:56 PM.

Thank Post
    I don't think you can assign preferences to AD computers. In the Computer groups you would put OS X Clients (mac computers). This allows you to manage OS X Clients using WGM.

Thank Post
    You can only use preferences with AD objects directly if you have extended the AD schema, even then there are limitations.

You want to add the machines to a mac specific computer group(s). They should be listed in WGM after they bind to OD. There is limited support for DFS but you need Extremez-ip (which I have) on windows with a special enterprise license (which I do not ). I think admitmac may support dfs too but I've not looked recently. It's easier just to live without DFS!

Thank Post
    I tried manually adding the macs to WGM but couldn't get policies to work. Just need the mac address when adding the machine?

This home drive problem is becoming tedious! Ive got an old teacher test account that i can log on with fine, home drives map \\server\students$\teacher all good, if i copy this account to MacStudent, new home drive folder gets created, doesn't work. if i change the teacher account to use the newly created macstudent home folder, works fine so it cant be any NTFS permissions on the created home folder. if i create a new account rather then copy i still cant get the home drive to show up on the macs. Once logged on if i goto network the server and folder show but it says alias unknown!? however u can manually connect to the smb share fine with the users that don't map home drives.

When a non working user logs on under finder/shared/all, the server shows up, and within that it shows students$ but when you click it says The Alias "Students$" could not be opened.... after some googling apparently this a problem with W2003 and SMB shares, for which the fix is Disabled Digitally sign communications (always) in the default domain security policy. Done that.. still doesn't work.

The users are members of the same groups in AD, all the info is identical! yet its only this old original account that will connect. i feel like theirs a big tickbox somewhere am completely missing!

Thank Post
    FIXED!!

Basically i ran the % dscl /Active\ Directory/All\ Domains -read /Users/"username" command on the client, it reports back that the user macstudent only has a NFS home dir of users/macstudent and no SMB home dir specified. However for the working account it reports back much more info, SMBhome is correct, NFShome is correct loads more info basically. trying this on a few random accounts, Teacher accounts report back correct, everything else wrong! Turned on advanced features in AD and compared the security tabs on the users and Authenticated users need read permissions.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread