+ Post New Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Mac Thread, How do I ghost a MAC in Technical; Hi, just bought 30 imacs and I am trying to find out about a way of ghosting them without using ...

Thank Post
    Hi, just bought 30 imacs and I am trying to find out about a way of ghosting them without using a server, as we haven/t got it yet. I looked into carboncopy and deploystudio and they both seem to work on a server. I have an imac all configured and set up to run win xp as well and all works fine on that side. Will the disk utility copy both OSs and restore them onto the rest of imacs, would that work or do I need anything else?

Any help and suggestions are welcome and thank you in advance.

Thank Post
    carbon copy cloner / winclone & an external hdd

on the imac that you've set up as you want it on both osx & windows, install ccc & winclone (both free mac apps), use winclone to clone the windows side (if you use the desktop as the save location it will be on the image)then use ccc to clone the mac to the external hdd.

when you use the clone on a new imac from osx you ca use winclone to drop windows back on it

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Boon72 View Post

on the imac that you've set up as you want it on both osx & windows, install ccc & winclone (both free mac apps), use winclone to clone the windows side (if you use the desktop as the save location it will be on the image)then use ccc to clone the mac to the external hdd.

when you use the clone on a new imac from osx you ca use winclone to drop windows back on it
    Thanks Boon72- I will give it a go and will let you know how I get on. Thanks for your help, especially on a Saturday!

Thank Post
    Deploy studio is a fantastic imaging solution. Once setup it is so easy to use.

Ross

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Ross2k5 View Post
    Deploy studio is a fantastic imaging solution. Once setup it is so easy to use.

Ross
    Hi, thanks for your input. Does Deploystudio only work with a mac server?
    Last edited by armadillo; 2nd November 2009 at 06:15 PM.

Thank Post

Hi again, do I need to partition the disk before imaging? Also sometimes the restore options are greyed and I am logged in with admin rights user, could you please suggest anything for this?

Thanks

Thank Post
    only once youve imaged the mac side. bootcamp it then winclone it

Thank Post
    only once youve imaged the mac side. bootcamp it then winclone it

Thanks again for your answers; how do I go about imaging the mac disk? as there are restore and image options and after reading through the manuals I am confused as the message is conflicting.

Thanks.

Thank Post
    You can image an entire disk (with partitions etc) with 'clonezilla' its not exactly easy to use but its really powerful - i've never used it for Macs (just for imaging EeePCs) as we have a leopard server with netrestore (soon to be deploystudio) - clonezilla may help with the windows side atleast if your dual booting/setting up partitions.

Thank Post

Deploy Studio

I have around a 100 dual boot Macs (imacs and laptops) after many trial and errors uing other products I use Deploy Studio with a customizable boot picker called Refit and it works a treat!

Deploy Studio will make your life easier, with the new version you can edit the build after you have sent it out like adding new apps (not tried this yet though).

Collection of your images is really simple you build your images as you would (not forgetting to sysprep your windows installation as normal if it's going on a domain).You boot from netboot or a usb stick, and you get a few options of create a master from a volume or deploy. if your deploiying you select if it's a triple or dual boot, the size of the partitions you want for each os. It then works it's magic resizing the partitions and formating them in ntfs for windows and hfs for the mac and you select. Then you simply select which image you want on which partitions.
    Last edited by steventaylor; 4th November 2009 at 04:41 PM.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by steventaylor View Post
    I have around a 100 dual boot Macs (imacs and laptops) after many trial and errors uing other products I use Deploy Studio with a customizable boot picker called Refit and it works a treat!

Deploy Studio will make your life easier, with the new version you can edit the build after you have sent it out like adding new apps (not tried this yet though).

Collection of your images is really simple you build your images as you would (not forgetting to sysprep your windows installation as normal if it's going on a domain).You boot from netboot or a usb stick, and you get a few options of create a master from a volume or deploy. if your deploiying you select if it's a triple or dual boot, the size of the partitions you want for each os. It then works it's magic resizing the partitions and formating them in ntfs for windows and hfs for the mac and you select. Then you simply select which image you want on which partitions.
    I installed deploystudio on the macs and tried to take an image and clone the 2nd mac but I had luck and it didn't work. I am under the impression that deploystudio only works properly using a mac server. Is that true?

Thanks in advance.

Thank Post
    You have a few options, set it up on a mac desktop with plenty of disk space or even set the share where the created images are stored to a firewire drive.

Another solution which worked well for me before I set the server up (and is great if you do some rebuilds off site or want to minimize network traffic) is to clone your desktop mac onto a firewire drive, once cloned boot from this firewire drive and install deploy studio on it. It will need to be a decent size to store your created images on, I used 250gb Lacie rugged drive which was less than £60 from dabs.

You then simply connect the firewire drive to the machine you wish to build and boot from the firewire drive, launch deploy studio and send your images to that machines hard drive. (it's a good way to get familiar with deploy studio and cloning).

The deploy studio documentation tells you how to do it, just print it out (there isn't much info on it so so two pages to one sheet in B&W is best).

Thank Post
    Thanks again for your help; I got the master mac image where deploystudio is instelled, I will boot from and try to add the win xp iamge to it. I will try that and will let you know.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Geoff View Post
    It uses partimage

Main Page - Partimage
    I am new to Macs and would like to know how to transfer a dual OS master image to the rest of the mcas, I have a master Mac with OSX and Win XP, used bootpicker to have the option of both OSs at logon. I tried to tansfer the image from that master Mac onto another mac, evrything transfered fine but when I click to logon to windows xp, it restarts to try to do just that and it stops at flashing cursar and black screen and hangs there. Could you please let me know how to make the win xp image bootable?

Thanks a lot

Thank Post
    Does your master computer boot into XP or are you talking about your deployed machine? if you master will not boot into XP it sounds like you didn't format the partion when you created the bootcamp install and you selected leave the current file system at the standard blue XP install screen.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast