+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Mac Thread, How do I ghost a MAC in Technical; Well according to Partimages home page... Partimage will only copy data from the used portions of the partition. So natively, ...

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Well according to Partimages home page...

Partimage will only copy data from the used portions of the partition.
    So natively, no Linux does not support HFS+ so it cant read the partition to copy the data. But it may be possible to get it working (with a bit of effort) using this...

Linux HFS+ Support | Get Linux HFS+ Support at SourceForge.net

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Partimage says it supports HFS

Supported-Filesystems - Partimage

3. 2 Thanks to Geoff:

mac_shinobi (31st July 2009), tmcd35 (31st July 2009)

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,049 Times in 971 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Geoff View Post
    Partimage says it supports HFS

Supported-Filesystems - Partimage
    Just be warned its in beta !

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Ric_ View Post
    Just been using DeployStudio myself... it's brilliant! I run it on OS X 10.4 server.

Agreed, currently deploying images to all our Imac's with Deploy Studio. Love the post restore configuration tools like naming and directory binding.

Matt

Thank Post
    It'll be interesting to see what Apple do with Net-Restore since Deploy Studio is quite simple and also pretty flexible to use.

If their system imaging util is anything to go by, i think i will stick with Deploy Studio

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by mac_shinobi View Post
    Just be warned its in beta !
    rofl. Well the NTFS support is experimental and everyone's FOGing Windows images around quite happily.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Geoff View Post
    rofl. Well the NTFS support is experimental and everyone's FOGing Windows images around quite happily.
    Well Just thought I would point that out so no one can say but x, y , z did not say anything lol

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by HallX View Post
    Once I have one in this ready state, what would you suggest is the best/easiest way to image the other 19. I dont really want to spend weeks learning how to do this :-D

Regards
    Paul
    Hi Paul,

Once you've created your desired image on one of the imacs, you'll need to take an image or snapshot of this imac, this file will have a .dmg extension, e.g yourimage.dmg

The way I go about this is to create a sizeable partition on the actual imac using Disk Utility then dump this image on the newly created partition, from there you can then transfer your image to the Netboot image directory on the OSX Server. (i.e. Volumes/Storage/Library/NetBoot/NetBootClients0).

Reading through the setup instructions of Deploystudio, it will guide you on how to install it on the server and creating your .nbi file etc.

Once all this is all set up and ticking nicely, you can then go the 19 imacs, depending on your network bandwidth, start them up in turn then hold down N key to make the imac boot from LAN (a spinning globe will appear during this process followed by the spinning gear) and discover the Deploystudio server, enter the login credentials and it will present the Workflow(s) you have earlier created when setting it up on the server, select the desired one, click 'play' and Bob's your uncle.

On my network I can successfully re-image about 8 imacs simultaneously.

Let me know if you require further info.
    Last edited by networkmanager; 31st July 2009 at 07:56 PM.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by HodgeHi View Post
    It'll be interesting to see what Apple do with Net-Restore since Deploy Studio is quite simple and also pretty flexible to use.

If their system imaging util is anything to go by, i think i will stick with Deploy Studio
    NetRestoe was written by Mike Bombich and he has since removed it from his website and now tells people to use DeployStudio (as he himself does).

Thank Post
    We currently use net-restore but sounds like we should be swapping soon

As for a boot menu, I've got rEFIt - An EFI Boot Menu and Toolkit setup on our dual boot machines; from the blurb it sounds like that bootpicker isn't in the EFI, therefore less elegant? Anway you can cut refit down so it just shows an Apple and a Windows logo, auto selecting either after x seconds and ofcourse you can choose which too.

12. Thanks to nicklec from:

mac_shinobi (1st August 2009)

Thank Post
    NetRestoe was written by Mike Bombich and he has since removed it from his website and now tells people to use DeployStudio (as he himself does).
    I don't remember pronouncing it like that before lol

Thank Post
    Yep but if you check out Apple's snow leopard server pages netrestore is listed. Its right at the bottom

Thank Post
    Sooooo either this is another product with the same name OR he discontinued it because they bought him out lol.

I've tried using ghost solution suite 2.5 to run post deployment ghost tasks on the xp partition on some duel boot intel macs. Unfortunately ghost SS 2.5 has a nasty bug where it loads the WINPE ram drive and then throws up an error saying it cant find the windows installation folder. This is apparently due to the fact that windows is installed in partiton 3 on the drive and not partition 1. Other people have posted on the symantec forum describing the same problem, not on a mac but on a duel booting windows PC set up with XP and Vista. Symantec replied saying they couldn't replicate the problem and so there was no fix for it. That was about a month ago...........haven't been back to th forum since.

Currently we use apple remote desktop to multicast a XP partition winclone file out to the macs or you can embed the winclone file inside your mac DMG image, deploy it via deploystudio multicast and then use ARD or DS to send a unix terminal command to all the clients to tell them to extract the file.

Anyone else using winclone in this way?

Thank Post
    No but i have been wanting to try and set up some sort of run once script on first start up to rename the client and then join it to the domain. This is perhaps the only thing that really needs to be done on the XP client side.

The only thing stopping m is A) knowledge and B) time. If i do get the time though i will post my findings.

PS. Does anyone know if pre-staging a mac would help in the client hostname being applied when it restarts, similar to RIS?

Thank Post
    Hi,
    I'm not great with vb scripting but I know it can be done that way if you can program it.

Instead, as I only know batch commands I use a program called wsname.exe it has command line switches:

Workstation Name Changer

With this you can read mac addresses and corresponding computer names from a text file and if the current machines mac address matches one in the list, the wsname program renames the hostname to the corresponding name you put in the list.

You'll need to reboot the machine too for it to take effect. so you can use the shutdown command to do that in your batch file:
    shutdown.exe /f /r /t: 5 /c "DONT PANIC! Restarting for auto config settings to take effect."

The other program I use to add the workstation to the ad domain is NETDOM.exe from microsoft.
    It can be downloaded as part of the windows xp support tools pack:

WindowsXP-KB838079-SupportTools-ENU <-- that's what you're looking for. Use 7zip to extract the support.cab contents into a folder and you'll find netdom.exe in the list of files. Check its command line switches for usage.

I'm sure all of this stuff can be done these days with power shell but I haven't had time to learn it yet. I have however seen it in action and it is EXTREMELY powerful for active directory manipulation in the right hands from a command prompt.

Netdom requires that the workstation service is up and running before it will work correctly. This required me to run the sleep.exe program, also from Microsoft to pause the batch file for 15 seconds to ensure the workstation service was up and running before proceeding. Sleep can be downloaded as part of the windows resource kit tools pack rktools.exe its inside a cab file called Cabs.winrk.cab

Netdom will also fail if the machine already has an existing account on the domain, so they must be deleted from their OU's before running netdom in a batch file.

Look at wsname, netdom and sleep. This is all you need to rename the machine and add it to the domain automatically using 2x batch files in the startup folder (not runonce) and 1 or 2 reboots.

Hope that helps.

PS. Machine accounts sometimes take a while to appear in the ad users and computers browser. They don't all show up at once.
    Last edited by maxvre; 8th August 2009 at 11:25 AM.

18. Thanks to maxvre from:

HodgeHi (10th August 2009)

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast