+ Post New Thread
Mac Thread, Teaching Mac in Technical; As I become aware that more and more schools are implementing Mac's either in a small or large scale, I ...
    Thank Post

Teaching Mac

As I become aware that more and more schools are implementing Mac's either in a small or large scale, I have been wondering.

Are there any schools that offer teaching on Mac specific software? Either learning to use the OS itself or learning to use specific Mac applications?

As there is a bigger push in many schools towards vocational subjects, surely somebody will be teaching either design or production on the Mac platform?

Any thoughts or input would be greatly appreciated. Also, if there are any schools with a large Mac infrastructure that wouldn't mind a five minute chat at some point then this would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks

Tom

Thank Post
    Hi Tom,

We'd be more than happy to spare some time if you'd like. We've been steadily growing the number of Macs on site here for about 6 years now, now at the point where almost half of our IT suites are Mac based, and about half the teaching staff have a Macbook (probably about 250ish in total).

In terms of what we teach we try and avoid teaching specifically Apple things, going far more for a cross-platform approach. All of the iMacs dual boot (hopefully triple boot soon...), and IT lessons where possible allow the student to pick whichever OS they want for the task. Obviously media/music tend to be a bit more focused as they really like iLife.

We run specific training for staff on the OS itself, as well as sessions around using iMovie/Garageband/etc as twilight training. These tend to be run by a member of teaching staff, and attendance is voluntary. We open these up to staff in local schools too who are interested.

Hope this helps, give me a shout if you want a chat with anybody here that would be useful.

Cheers,

Tim

Thank Post
    As an Apple Education Solution Expert we are partnered with The Thomas Deacon Academy who are an Apple Regional Training Centre in Peterborough, they do all kinds of training on Mac OS X and applications.

If you PM me I'd be happy to give you some contact details....

Thank Post
    Thank you both for your replies. I will be in touch with both of you soon for further discussion, and a slightly better explanation of what I am looking for!

Thanks again

Tom

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread