+ Post New Thread
Mac Thread, Specify SSID via LDAP in Technical; I am about to do a deployment with about two thousand MacBooks in a public school. We have a wireless ...

Thank Post

Specify SSID via LDAP

I am about to do a deployment with about two thousand MacBooks in a public school. We have a wireless VLAN for each grade and an associated SSID for each VLAN. We are using AD for authentication and OD for schema augmentation (MCX). (Magic Triangle)

I am trying to come up with a way (post-imaging/pre-deployment) to have each laptop connect to a specific SSID based on the "Description" field in their AD account. ie. If a student is graduating in 2010, the description field in AD is "2010" and they should connect to "HS_12" SSID. If a student is graduating in 2011, the description field in AD is "2011" and they should connect to "HS_11" SSID...etc.

Any ideas?

Thank Post
    I can't think of a way of doing that, but how about using 802.11X authentication with dynamic VLAN allocation? You would only need one SSID and students would be put into the correct VLAN based on an attribute in their LDAP/AD user object.

If your access points are capable of 802.11X (aka WPA2 enterprise) I would definitely look into it. You would just need to configure a RADIUS server to read your AD (probably on your DC, but I'm not a windows person ) and return the correct VLAN ID (either from a new attribute or programatically from your existing 'Description').

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread