+ Post New Thread
Mac Thread, USB Drive Encryption on Macs in Technical; We will be implementing a data security policy next year to cover encryption of pen drives. I am happy for ...
    Thank Post

USB Drive Encryption on Macs

We will be implementing a data security policy next year to cover encryption of pen drives. I am happy for what I'll implement for Windows users (either TrueCrypt or Cryptainer), but I would like to have a product which staff can use which will be compatible with both the Windows PCs (RM CC3) in school and their Macs at home. Does such a thing exist?

Thank Post
    Can't for the life of me remember the make/model of the pen drives we had for the Macs here but they needed an admin account to install some software before they would work.

That's fine I suppose it the user can bring in their laptop etc, but if they are to use the pen drive on loads of different macs it might be fun to get the software installed on all of them.

Thank Post
    @Teddybear - that shouldn't be a problem; we only have PCs in school, so the only Macs they would have to install the software on are their home ones, to which they presumably have admin rights. Can you find out which pens you bought or not?

Thank Post
    Truecrypt has a MAC version (and linux). Once installed USB pens in traveller mode work like a treat and all three platforms.

Thank Post
    TrueCrypt Traveller mode requires the user to have admin rights on the PC, doesn't it? That wouldn't be appropriate here, as our staff are not local administrators.

Thank Post
    TrueCrypt Traveller mode requires the user to have admin rights on the PC, doesn't it?
    Not if the software is already installed on the machines it doesn't.

Roguespears MSI is very handy for deploying it. Just be aware that I think the latest RS version is 6.1. Truecrypt containers made in 6.2+ will not open with it. To get round this you can also deploy a 6.2 truecrypt.sys after using the RS MSI. Everything then work happily.

We have deployed truecrypt to all machines. Staff are advised to install truecrypt if they are using macs or linux at home. Staff using windows shouldn't need to install if they are admins at home.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by NickJones View Post
    @Teddybear - that shouldn't be a problem; we only have PCs in school, so the only Macs they would have to install the software on are their home ones, to which they presumably have admin rights. Can you find out which pens you bought or not?
    It's the security team that's currently looking in to them. They've been in touch with loads of suppliers and haven't found a suitable one. We haven't bought any specifically for the Mac yet, I'll try to find out which ones they have had in.

Thank Post
    Just be aware that a number of companies sell usb sticks as protected, secure or some other loose term. Most are not encrypted, and are simply password protected hidden partitions. These can be viewed in seconds with partition software and the like.

Thank Post
    We are looking at this over the summer as well. How do other staff cope with Truecrypt, our worry is that it will be slightly too involved, mounting drives & the like, so they will end up ignoring it. Does traveller mode resolve this? Or is it just a case of beating it into the staff until they follow?

Thank Post
    We too are just implementing it this summer. Traveller mode is pretty straight forward. Plug the pen in, a password prompt comes up, pop in password, hit return, encrypted file system pops up (always the same drive letter). Right (or left) click on truecrypt icon and press dismount all. Roberts your fathers brother.

I expect there will be teething issues, but we are creating some guides and will be taking the staff through the procedure when we get them to set their password.

200 pens are being manufactured with our truecrypt installation as we speak so it had better work!

Thank Post
    The Ironkey drives work on PC and Mac without any trouble, but they are fairly expensive compared with an off the shelf stick and truecrypt.

Thank Post
    Last time I looked the IRONKEY sticks work as standard but the encryption features don't. They are looking at making a mac version but it is coming soon.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by TechMonkey View Post
    Last time I looked the IRONKEY sticks work as standard but the encryption features don't. They are looking at making a mac version but it is coming soon.
    Both of mine seems to work okay swapping between OSX and XP (SP2+), I've never tried under Linux. I can't be sure the data is really encrypted and not just hidden I suppose, certainly the encrypted partition needs unlocking using the mac unlocking app before use, in much the same way it works under XP. Their support site seems to indicate all is well across the major three OSs now (https://support.ironkey.com/article/50150000000Dx1iAAC)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by terrorvis View Post
    Roguespears MSI is very handy for deploying it. Just be aware that I think the latest RS version is 6.1. Truecrypt containers made in 6.2+ will not open with it. To get round this you can also deploy a 6.2 truecrypt.sys after using the RS MSI. Everything then work happily.
    So, to check I've got this right... If I installed that RogueSpears 6.1 MSI with an updated truecrypt.sys file, then Windows and Mac users, even restricted Windows users such as our staff in school, would be able to use Truecrypt Container. Yes?

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread