+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Mac Thread, Bootcamp enviroment in school in Technical; Q: What is the genuine Windows offer? A: The Microsoft genuine Windows offer is designed to help customers who unknowingly ...
    Thank Post

Re: Bootcamp enviroment in school

Q: What is the genuine Windows offer?
    A: The Microsoft genuine Windows offer is designed to help customers who unknowingly purchased counterfeit versions of Windows XP by offering those who qualify a complimentary copy or electronic license key for a genuine copy of Windows XP.

Q: Who can participate in the genuine Windows offer?
    A: The offer is open to any person who purchased Microsoft Windows XP (Professional or Home Edition) or Windows XP Operating System pre-installed on a new computer. Windows XP upgrade purchases and purchases made under volume license agreements are not eligible.

I'm quite sure its not designed for getting cheap copies of xp

Thank Post

And this

IMPORTANT NOTE: THIS IS BETA, TIME-LIMITED SOFTWARE MEANT FOR EVALUATION PURPOSES ONLY. THIS SOFTWARE SHOULD NOT BE USED IN A COMMERCIAL OPERATING ENVIRONMENT OR WITH IMPORTANT DATA. BEFORE INSTALLING THE APPLE SOFTWARE, YOU SHOULD BACK UP ALL OF YOUR DATA AND REGULARLY BACK UP DATA WHILE USING THE APPLE SOFTWARE.

note the "TIME-LIMITED"

Thank Post

Interesting......

it looks like it will continue to work, but it will become illegal at the end of september. I wonder how many will uninstall it and buy Leopard? I suppose if you already have your HD partitioned with Windows on, you won't need bootcamp unless you need to reconfigure.

Thank Post

Quote Originally Posted by DMcCoy
    Q: What is the genuine Windows offer?
    A: The Microsoft genuine Windows offer is designed to help customers who unknowingly purchased counterfeit versions of Windows XP by offering those who qualify a complimentary copy or electronic license key for a genuine copy of Windows XP.

Q: Who can participate in the genuine Windows offer?
    A: The offer is open to any person who purchased Microsoft Windows XP (Professional or Home Edition) or Windows XP Operating System pre-installed on a new computer. Windows XP upgrade purchases and purchases made under volume license agreements are not eligible.

I'm quite sure its not designed for getting cheap copies of xp
    I'm not sure they are bothered if you are paying, and it is the only legal way apart from paying £230+ for a full version.

Dan

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,738 Times in 1,087 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by woody
    Interesting......

it looks like it will continue to work, but it will become illegal at the end of september. I wonder how many will uninstall it and buy Leopard? I suppose if you already have your HD partitioned with Windows on, you won't need bootcamp unless you need to reconfigure.
    It would appear that part of the upgrade process of Leopard will check for BootCamp partitions and make a few changes (usual warning of backing up work etc ..)

The Beta will not stop until Leopard has been out for one quarter (theoretically if Leopard comes out on 1st July 2007 then BootCamp will cease to be an active Beta on the last day of September ... but it is likely to continue to work)

I am waiting for a seed of Leopard too ... It looks very nice from what I have seen / played with so far.

Thank Post

@Grumbledook: Have you been buying mice and OEM XP licenses then for all your Macs?

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

We picked up some 3.11 and 95 licences and have been buying the XP upgrades ... we are at the limit of that now (which is why I am interested in fanyone has any old licences) and will have to start going down the mouse / XP OEM route ...

Finding a good supplier for this is interesting as our regular supplier was going to do it last year and then said they couldn't ... and then they could ...

@Ric_: Are you using Ollis for yours?

Thank Post

Scan will sell you them.

You can even buy a power lead and oem license as a pc needs a power lead to power it.

Just remember the 95 / 3.11 licenses you buy have to be unregistered and not have a computer manufacturers name on the coa/book.

Best Regards

Dan

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,494 Times in 1,340 Posts

Cool an OEM licence for my kettle

Ben

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,035 Times in 908 Posts

I get mine from CCL when I have needed them in the past, a 99p bargin mouse and an XP Pro OEM has been excellent value.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,032 Times in 812 Posts

A couple of local shops got busted by microsoft for just htis sort of thing.
    They can now only sell OEM licenses with motherboards.
    They also sell linux now so its not all bad.

Thank Post

@Grumbledook: I don't see the point in Bootcamp since a cheaper PC will run XP better than a Bootcamp Mac. I just checked the Scan website and the licenses may only be distributed with a 'nonperipheral' computer component for the PC that the OS will be run on or a fully assembled system. I guess you could buy some RAM then to make your bootcamp Mac run at a decent speed

Thank Post

Bootcamp is not an emulation, it is a partition selecter and xp is a native install and uses all the intel processor, Our MAC Book Pro runs fast enough on XP.

Best Regards

Dan

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

My MacBook running XP under Boot Camp (not just a partition selector but a driver generator ... something that will become important in the final release of Leopard) is actually one of the quickest and most stable XP laptops I have.

An Intel Mac running XP works out cheaper having a Mac and a cheap PC. We also want to make serious use of the media based apps (start them on iLife, get them onto Final Cut Express / Soundtrack, and eventually have them on Final Cut Studio and other Pro apps) over the next 4 years. XP on the Mac is a limited investment to keep some programs running so existing schemes of work can still be used.

The decision on this is an educational (T&L) rather than technical (the teachers' time saved by doing this is worth it ... it gives them more time to create even better resources for the Mac apps) ... but I seriously do rate Intel Macs as damn stable XP machines ... even the P4 Dells we had in music (dedicated Creative soundcards) struggled with Dance eJay (repeated loss of settings, BSoD, knackered registry) but we have yet to have *any* problems in testing it on XP on an Intel iMac.

Thank Post

@Grumbledook: Since I last checke, some of the driver issues must have been ironed out... I apologise profusely!

However, you did then swer twice in 1 sentence - Dell and Dance eJay!!!

I am just moving our suite of 'musical' PCs over to Mac. The PCs will still be used in the second suite for Cubasis but Cubase and Sibelius will now be run on the Macs (dual platform education license). The technology-leader in Music doesn't mind Macs and the PCs that were in there must be the most unstable affairs ever made!

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast