+ Post New Thread
Mac Thread, Unreliable MAC in Technical; We have finally managed to bind our new MAC to active directory, and can log in with our username and ...

Thank Post

Unreliable MAC

We have finally managed to bind our new MAC to active directory, and can log in with our username and passwords, but only sometimes! When we do manage to log in, our home folder will be displayed, but only sometimes!

Any ideas??

PS. Currently using MAC OS X 10.4.7 with Windows 2003 Server

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,781 Times in 1,105 Posts
    Blog Entries

Re: Unreliable MAC

Firstly, if you are using DHCP make sure you also set the DNS servers in there manually.

Secondly, check you domain name is not <domain>.local ... 10.4 is meant to be able to deal with this but I have seen two schools who have still had a problem (due to upgrades from 10.3 to 10.4)

Thirdly ... is it just on one machine or several?

Fourthly ... when you bind it to the domain are you a) creating mobile accounts (don't unless it is a laptop and only after havving a loooong chat with the user abot file managment and not using the standard folders of 'music', 'pictures', 'movies' and so on) ... b) ticking force local home directory on startup disk and c) use UNC path from AD to derive network home location ... ?

If you are then the DNS should sort things (sometimes if the AD authentication works it may not pull in all the info ... it is best to put at least 2 DNS details in the network settings)

Is it specific users that have the issue? Are there any major differences in group membership?

I know ... more questions than answers.

Thank Post

Is it wired or wireless?

Thank Post

Its wired. We have tried everything mentioned above in the first reply, but still no joy!

Thank Post

You know, a while back when I first started putting Macs on the domain I found odd behaviour from a few for no real reason.

I erased and reinstalled OS X, bound them to the domain and they were fine from then on, you might want to try that!

Thank Post

We have already re-installed the OS, and done all the updates. We are running out of ideas!

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,781 Times in 1,105 Posts
    Blog Entries

Have you tried them on a different domain?

Thank Post

I had this too until I gave the Mac a WINS server to look at! In the Directory Access tool in Utilities, look for your SMB entry and double click it. When the sheet opens, fill in the required blank for your WINS server details. Worked a treat for me. Failing that, in the AD entry you can specify an AD server you want to use ("Prefer this Domain Server")-- put your server's details in there and see what happens.

As Tony says- if you can (and it's practical to do so), try your Mac on a separate domain. If it binds OK and mounts the directory consistenly then you probably do have an issue with WINS and or DNS. I know someone who solved their similar issue by disabling SMB signing on the 2003 server. Might be worth an investigation as well ;-)

Good luck!

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread