+ Post New Thread
Mac Thread, Running Mac OSX virtually on a mac in Technical; This is a weird request, I know, but I'll ask it anyway. I would like to run Leopard in a ...
    Thank Post

Running Mac OSX virtually on a mac

This is a weird request, I know, but I'll ask it anyway.

I would like to run Leopard in a virtual environment on Leopard.
    I know apple or whoever say it's illegal to run OS X on hardware which isn't apple. But technically, it is apple Hardware.. and we have the discs.. and we have enough licenses. So legally there shouldn't be a problem?

I saw VMware is able to run Leopard Server, however I don't have VMWare, and my trial version has run out.
    I have got Parallels and Sun Virtual Box however, is it possible to install it on one of these legally?

Reason I want to do this is to do some testing using a local account and a network account, at the same time without logging out of one and logging into another, and I don't want to lug another mac across the school.

Thank Post
    I think that only the OSX Server has a licence to be able to run virtually. IIRC, the desktop OS does not allow you to legally run it virtually. This may however of changed since the last time I looked.

It is physically possible but I don't think it's legally possible - even though as you say, you own the disks and it will be running on Apple hardware.

Thank Post
    Sorry to hyjack. Can does OSX have to be run virtualy on Mac hardware? Or can it be used on any VMWare platform?

We might need a Mac server here, it won't be doing much so adding it to our ESX would be much neater then buying a Mini Mac.

Thank Post
    I read on google VMWare have got licensing to run Mac OS X Server, whether this needs to be on Mac hardware or not I don't know. But it seems stupid to have so you can only run it virtually on mac hardware.

5. Thanks to rolfea from:

K.C.Leblanc (22nd May 2009)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by K.C.Leblanc View Post
    Sorry to hyjack. Can does OSX have to be run virtualy on Mac hardware? Or can it be used on any VMWare platform?

We might need a Mac server here, it won't be doing much so adding it to our ESX would be much neater then buying a Mini Mac.
    I'm fairly sure you can still only run it virtually on Mac hardware. It may or may not work on ESX - but legally I think it's only allowed on Mac hardware.

Tom

7. Thanks to SC-UK from:

K.C.Leblanc (22nd May 2009)

Thank Post
    Download a trial of Parallels Server. At the last beta it was installing OS X Leopard Server and OS X Leopard (IIRC) onto Apple Hardware. You can VM OS X/OS X Server as long as the virtualising software and the VM reside on Apple Hardware.

Both Parallels and VM Ware i think are no allowed to VM OS X. It just needs to be done on Apple Hardware.

Thank Post
    MacDailyNews Note: Apple's Software License Agreement for Mac OS X explicitly states: This License allows you to install, use and run one (1) copy of the Apple Software on a single Apple-labeled computer at a time. You agree not to install, use or run the Apple Software on any non-Apple-labeled computer, or to enable others to do so.

taken from MacDailyNews - It's legal to run Mac OS X on non-Apple branded PCs with EFI-X dongle?

I have actually managed to get a copy of Mac OSX running on an old Toshiba L20 laptop but according to Apples EULA this isnt best practice! I presume that also goes for a virtual environment on a non-apple machine.

Thank Post
    so its legal but illegal?

so confused right now!

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by K.C.Leblanc View Post

Whist you can install OSX on vmware (yes even the windows version) updating it is a pain and I'm fairly sure that Apple's EULA specifies only apple branded equipment so it's not something I'd feel safe running a production server on.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by rolfea View Post
    so its legal but illegal?

so confused right now!
    No - it's possible but illegal.

In the same way I can go out and steal from a supermarket but it's not right - It's possible but illegal.

The only legal way to virtualise Apple software, is on Apple hardware - a pain but thats how it is.

Thank Post
    I was under the impression that os x would not not install ok anything over than itsown hardware anyway? Unhacked that is. Also that the only version of vmware that can virtualise os x is vmware fusion and parallels server. The ones that run on os x anyway. Or am I mistaken?

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by HodgeHi View Post
    I was under the impression that os x would not not install ok anything over than itsown hardware anyway? Unhacked that is. Also that the only version of vmware that can virtualise os x is vmware fusion and parallels server. The ones that run on os x anyway. Or am I mistaken?
    That's about right yes. Although OSX can be installed on various other things unhacked if you know what to do with the BIOS

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread