+ Post New Thread
Results 1 to 12 of 12
Mac Thread, Please stop me!!!! in Technical; Ohhh dear, I've been contaminated! Looking at replacing my aging Mac Mini and then I my laptop starts playing up ...
  1. #1

    TechMonkey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    South East
    Posts
    3,282
    Thank Post
    225
    Thanked 403 Times in 300 Posts
    Rep Power
    161

    Please stop me!!!!

    Ohhh dear, I've been contaminated! Looking at replacing my aging Mac Mini and then I my laptop starts playing up so I think I know, why not grab a macBook/Air while at it. Then think "Well better safe than sorry, why not get a Time Capsule for backups", Then I start pricing it up & selecting upgrades. Then the mad thought that if I'm spending that much why not go for a MacBook Pro! Luckily my Laptop crashed again at that point.

    What's the cure?!

  2. #2
    mb2k01's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    1,126
    Thank Post
    189
    Thanked 227 Times in 193 Posts
    Rep Power
    92
    Comparitivly cheap MS!

  3. #3
    StewartKnight's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    1,587
    Thank Post
    2
    Thanked 27 Times in 21 Posts
    Rep Power
    30
    Too right!

    How can Apple suddenly spec a imac from 745 to 995, in a recession, just like that!
    The spec for a better Micro$haft computer would be half that!

  4. #4
    Nikthomas's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    bath
    Posts
    79
    Thank Post
    5
    Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts
    Rep Power
    11
    Quote Originally Posted by StewartKnight View Post
    Too right!

    How can Apple suddenly spec a imac from 745 to 995, in a recession, just like that!
    The spec for a better Micro$haft computer would be half that!
    The prices of mabook pro's and mackbook air's havn't changed...

    The iMac is more pricey now because of the spec. They shouldn't of upped the mac mini tho cus its not much better than the old spec one.

    You gotta remeber and iMac has 4gb of High speed DDR3 RAM etc etc and it's all in a slim monitor

  5. #5
    ICT_GUY's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Weymouth
    Posts
    2,261
    Thank Post
    646
    Thanked 283 Times in 204 Posts
    Rep Power
    104
    Buy a real PC for 1/3 the price, install mac os on it if you must.

  6. #6

    mac_shinobi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    9,677
    Thank Post
    3,209
    Thanked 1,030 Times in 955 Posts
    Rep Power
    361
    Quote Originally Posted by Nikthomas View Post
    The prices of mabook pro's and mackbook air's havn't changed...

    The iMac is more pricey now because of the spec. They shouldn't of upped the mac mini tho cus its not much better than the old spec one.

    You gotta remeber and iMac has 4gb of High speed DDR3 RAM etc etc and it's all in a slim monitor
    wish apple wouldnt add more memory if they are going to change the price as apples pricing on RAM is OTT in comparison with crucial - I understand 4gb of RAM costs more but not by the difference they are charging for an iMac with that much memory.

  7. #7

    SYNACK's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    10,986
    Thank Post
    850
    Thanked 2,653 Times in 2,253 Posts
    Blog Entries
    9
    Rep Power
    764
    Quote Originally Posted by Nikthomas View Post
    They shouldn't of upped the mac mini tho cus its not much better than the old spec one.
    In some respects it is worse as now the CPU is soldered in dashing any hopes of upgrades in true Mac fashion.

  8. #8

    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Surrey
    Posts
    2,160
    Thank Post
    98
    Thanked 318 Times in 260 Posts
    Blog Entries
    4
    Rep Power
    111
    Quote Originally Posted by mac_shinobi View Post
    wish apple wouldnt add more memory if they are going to change the price as apples pricing on RAM is OTT in comparison with crucial - I understand 4gb of RAM costs more but not by the difference they are charging for an iMac with that much memory.
    Its easy, just buy the lower spec one, void your warranty by opening it up and put in the extra memory. Much cheaper than having Apple do it for you.

  9. #9

    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Preston UK
    Posts
    15
    Thank Post
    1
    Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
    Rep Power
    11
    Quote Originally Posted by jamesb View Post
    Its easy, just buy the lower spec one, void your warranty by opening it up and put in the extra memory. Much cheaper than having Apple do it for you.
    The memory is accessable by a screw on the bottom of the IMac. Its perfectly legitimate to upgrade the memory - it wont void the warranty.

  10. #10

    sparkeh's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    6,713
    Thank Post
    1,266
    Thanked 1,637 Times in 1,094 Posts
    Blog Entries
    22
    Rep Power
    503
    Quote Originally Posted by TechMonkey View Post
    What's the cure?!
    Dive in and buy the MacBook Pro!

  11. #11

    webman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    North East England
    Posts
    8,400
    Thank Post
    636
    Thanked 961 Times in 661 Posts
    Blog Entries
    2
    Rep Power
    319
    Easy - get a PC.

  12. #12
    Jamo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    1,349
    Thank Post
    66
    Thanked 175 Times in 147 Posts
    Rep Power
    60
    Quote Originally Posted by sparkeh View Post
    Dive in and buy the MacBook Pro!
    noooo make your own and name it the Hackbook Slo

    Functional and comical great for everything


  13. Thanks to Jamo from:

    webman (23rd March 2009)

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread

Similar Threads

  1. STOP: 0x00000007
    By somabc in forum Windows
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: 14th October 2008, 03:07 PM
  2. How do I stop this??
    By actech in forum Wireless Networks
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 13th October 2008, 09:15 PM
  3. STOP IT
    By faza in forum Wireless Networks
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 11th April 2008, 11:02 AM
  4. Will The Disinformation Ever Stop?
    By Diello in forum BSF
    Replies: 45
    Last Post: 10th March 2008, 12:17 PM
  5. Stop
    By Jamie2000uk in forum Network and Classroom Management
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 24th January 2008, 10:19 PM

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •