+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Mac Thread, Replacement Restore CD? in Technical; I've just acquired a secondhand imac 5 running on OS X 10.4.11 My first mac! It works fine but it ...
    Thank Post

Replacement Restore CD?

I've just acquired a secondhand imac 5 running on OS X 10.4.11 My first mac!

It works fine but it has no system software or restore CD. What's the most cost effective route to getting the software disk? Do I have to buy a new OS X retail disk?

Alternatively can I create some sort of boot / restore disk myself?

Sorry to ask basic questions but I will learn quickly!

Thank Post
    I know its not the legal answer but you can download the retail copys of the internet. via torrents

Also make sure you find out if you have a DVD or CD drive. Crazy as it sounds you maybe surprised!

Ross

Thank Post
    I've found out it's only 70 or so to get OS X 10.5 from Apple so that seems the route to go.

Does the OS DVD contain all of the bundled apps? Mail, Safari, iPhoto, etc? If I get 10.5 will it install as an upgrade the the existing 10.4? I also have Office:Mac installed but don't have the install disks for that either; will a 10.5 upgrade install preserve the Office installation?

Thank Post
    the 10.5 dvd will have the normal apps, so Mail, Safari, iPhoto (or iLife) will be on the disk.

I'm sure I have a 10.5 upgrade dvd kicking aound on my desk, it will install over 10.4 so should (I assume...) keep Office on there for you. The 10.5 dvd doe not come with office

PM me your details and if it's there I'll stick it in the post for you.

What kind of iMac is it you have??

I installed 25 iMacs about a year ago and again think there might be some disks lying around.

Thank Post
    You may wish to check out the new bundle deal which gets you ilife, iwork and os x 10.5.
    Mac box set

10.5 contains all the basic apps like mail, safari, and many others but not any of the ilife suite, iphoto, imovie, garageband and idvd. Not sure about the upgrade process though. I think you should be able to do an archive and install.

Thank Post
    Thank you guys.

Thank Post
    I'm sure 10.5 does come with iLife installed, so you will get garageband etc. I'll format an iBook on Monday to make sure.

Looking on the Apple site at the images of 10.5 on a Mac it has the icons for garageband etc

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,048 Times in 970 Posts
    got a mac pro here and my installation discs for 10.5 have iLife as well. You could use carbon copy clone to create a bootable backup of what you have now :

http://www.bombich.com/software/index.html

Then install 10.5 - that way you can always go back using your bootable backup.

9. Thanks to mac_shinobi from:

teddybear (8th March 2009)

Thank Post
    I think you'll find that the restore discs that come with a Mac will have OS X and iLife on - because Apple bundle OS X and iLife with new Macs.

However, retail OS X disks that you can buy from Apple will NOT include iLife, which is sold as separate package to retail OS X.

Office:Mac is a completely separate product and will not come with any OS X disks (except for a Trial version with some restore disks). The 'Home and Student' version of Office:Mac 2008 sells for under 100 for 3 licences.

Thank Post
    Thanks for the very useful replies.

I'm not concerned too much about Office, we have a site license for Office 2003 and 2008 so I'm assuming I can use this to install the mac version as well, assuming I can get hold of a media DVD.

Carbon copy looks interesting.

Thanks again everyone.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,674 Times in 2,269 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Number6 View Post
    I'm not concerned too much about Office, we have a site license for Office 2003 and 2008 so I'm assuming I can use this to install the mac version as well, assuming I can get hold of a media DVD.
    Its a different bit of software, even though it sports the same name. I don't think that your site license will cover you for the mac versions as well. I know that ours doesn't so you may need to add that to your volume license agreement seporatly or just a single license as you only have one at this stage.
    Last edited by SYNACK; 9th March 2009 at 02:55 AM.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Number6 View Post
    Thanks for the very useful replies.

Carbon copy looks interesting.

Thanks again everyone.
    There is open office for mac which runs natively now ( OpenOffice.org - The Free and Open Productivity Suite ) which you can use with ms office as well as long as the users save there documents as an ms format when using open office ( file --> save as --> drop down menu select an ms format document )

Not sure how much use that is to you ?

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by crc-ict View Post
    I think you'll find that the restore discs that come with a Mac will have OS X and iLife on - because Apple bundle OS X and iLife with new Macs.

However, retail OS X disks that you can buy from Apple will NOT include iLife, which is sold as separate package to retail OS X.

Office:Mac is a completely separate product and will not come with any OS X disks (except for a Trial version with some restore disks). The 'Home and Student' version of Office:Mac 2008 sells for under 100 for 3 licences.
    That's true - as obviously I got my discs with my Mac Pro not seperately

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by SYNACK View Post
    Its a different bit of software, even though it sports the same name. I don't think that your site license will cover you for the mac versions as well. I know that ours doesn't so you may need to add that to your volume license agreement seporatly or just a single license as you only have one at this stage.
    Thanks for the tip. Our supplier assures me that our site license covers mac as well as PC but I'll ask them to confirm.

Quote Originally Posted by mac_shinobi View Post
    There is open office for mac which runs natively now ( OpenOffice.org - The Free and Open Productivity Suite ) which you can use with ms office as well as long as the users save there documents as an ms format when using open office ( file --> save as --> drop down menu select an ms format document )

Not sure how much use that is to you ?
    Can't say I really like openoffice much although I've only used the PC version. I've never been very impressed with it and it always looks clunky and outdated IMHO. Is the mac version any better?

Thank Post
    Try it on a stand alone one or install it on one machine and see what you think - bit hard to say as everyone has there own opinions about it I guess

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast