+ Post New Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 31 to 45 of 55
Mac Thread, New Imacs/Minis/Mac Pro's & AEBS/Time Capsule in Technical; I just think your all lucky to have Macs at school so stop moaning *joke* This year I may sneak ...
  1. #31
    jamin100's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Birmingham
    Posts
    1,036
    Thank Post
    141
    Thanked 98 Times in 78 Posts
    Rep Power
    33
    I just think your all lucky to have Macs at school so stop moaning *joke*

    This year I may sneak a few mac mini's into school and let some of the more able teachers play with some of the ilife software - i'm sure that'll get em hooked.

  2. #32
    DMcCoy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Isle of Wight
    Posts
    3,431
    Thank Post
    10
    Thanked 488 Times in 428 Posts
    Rep Power
    111
    Quote Originally Posted by HodgeHi View Post
    Plugging the cable back in might help the BBOD go away
    Except it doesn't help, once the spinning ball is there, that's it

    Look at running keychain minder at login, it will help with the keychain issues.

  3. #33

    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    West Bromwich
    Posts
    2,190
    Thank Post
    299
    Thanked 215 Times in 185 Posts
    Rep Power
    56
    Quote Originally Posted by DMcCoy View Post
    Except it doesn't help, once the spinning ball is there, that's it

    Look at running keychain minder at login, it will help with the keychain issues.
    I'm not too sure about this. I run remote home dirs, which reside on the XRAID connected to the OD master. They are shared via AFP. Whenever a pupil moves the friggin imac and pulls the network cable out (crap LAN cables), i just plug them back in. After a few seconds once re-connection is established the ball goes away.

    **runs off to check *

    Yep. Just logged in as me and opened a folder located in finder and then pulled out the cable. The ball popped up. I reconnected the cable, a couple of seconds later the ball disappeared and the folder opened. I did the same for accessing the documents in my home dir which are stored on the server. Again this recovered. It gave me an error stating that the share had been disconnected, but that quickly went away and restored the connection.
    Last edited by HodgeHi; 6th March 2009 at 10:44 AM.

  4. #34
    DMcCoy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Isle of Wight
    Posts
    3,431
    Thank Post
    10
    Thanked 488 Times in 428 Posts
    Rep Power
    111
    Quote Originally Posted by HodgeHi View Post
    I'm not too sure about this. I run remote home dirs, which reside on the XRAID connected to the OD master. They are shared via AFP. Whenever a pupil moves the friggin imac and pulls the network cable out (crap LAN cables), i just plug them back in. After a few seconds once re-connection is established the ball goes away.

    **runs off to check *

    Yep. Just logged in as me and opened a folder located in finder and then pulled out the cable. The ball popped up. I reconnected the cable, a couple of seconds later the ball disappeared and the folder opened. I did the same for accessing the documents in my home dir which are stored on the server. Again this recovered. It gave me an error stating that the share had been disconnected, but that quickly went away and restored the connection.
    That doesn't work if it's the afp server that dies as you lose the session state, is your library on the remote folder too?

  5. #35

    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    West Bromwich
    Posts
    2,190
    Thank Post
    299
    Thanked 215 Times in 185 Posts
    Rep Power
    56
    Yes. There are no redirected folders. Everything, including the caches, are stored on the remote server

    I do need to configure the setup for re-directing the caches. Someone posted about how to do this via WGM. Anyone point me in the right direction. I have searched but couldn't find it.

    I have also shut down the AFP service due to the server needing a reboot (SMB service keeps dying randomly for some reason) while people have been connected. It seemed to restore their connection afterwards too. One was the deputy head.
    Last edited by HodgeHi; 6th March 2009 at 11:23 AM.

  6. #36
    WStore_Dan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Farnham
    Posts
    440
    Thank Post
    47
    Thanked 55 Times in 37 Posts
    Rep Power
    30
    Quote Originally Posted by WStore_Dan View Post
    I think these might be the old ones actually. I'll check with purchasing and if they are, I'll try and find out pricing on the new models for you

    Won't be long
    As promised, purchasing have come back to me with pricing and stock...

    MB463B/A - New Mac mini Core 2 Duo 2.0GHz/1GB/120GB/GeForce 9400M/SD
    425.00+VAT - 80 available for next day delivery

    MB464B/A - New Mac mini Core 2 Duo 2.0GHz/2GB/320GB/GeForce 9400M/SD
    549.00+VAT - 55 available for next day delivery


    Any questions then fire away!


    Regards

  7. #37
    jamin100's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Birmingham
    Posts
    1,036
    Thank Post
    141
    Thanked 98 Times in 78 Posts
    Rep Power
    33
    Quote Originally Posted by WStore_Dan View Post
    As promised, purchasing have come back to me with pricing and stock...

    MB463B/A - New Mac mini Core 2 Duo 2.0GHz/1GB/120GB/GeForce 9400M/SD
    425.00+VAT - 80 in stock for next day delivery

    MB464B/A - New Mac mini Core 2 Duo 2.0GHz/2GB/320GB/GeForce 9400M/SD
    549.00+VAT - 55 in stock for next day delivery


    Any questions then fire away!


    Regards
    Can the new mac mini's support dual monitors?
    Also - can the RAM be upgraded without screwing up the warranty ?

  8. #38
    WStore_Dan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Farnham
    Posts
    440
    Thank Post
    47
    Thanked 55 Times in 37 Posts
    Rep Power
    30
    Quote Originally Posted by jamin100 View Post
    Can the new mac mini's support dual monitors?
    Also - can the RAM be upgraded without screwing up the warranty ?

    Taken from a CNET review...

    The case is made of the same aluminum housing and white plastic top, and the only minor differences in the rear panel are an additional USB port (bumping the total up to five), a single FireWire 800 port, a Mini DVI input, and Mini DisplayPort input. That display-standard change is actually significant because it lets the Mac Mini support two displays for the first time, and the internal hardware is also powerful enough to drive a 30-inch, 2,560x1,600 LCD.


    I'll find out about the warranty issue for you and let you know

  9. #39

    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    West Bromwich
    Posts
    2,190
    Thank Post
    299
    Thanked 215 Times in 185 Posts
    Rep Power
    56
    I think the new Mac minis come with a mini display and also a mini dvi connection on the back.

    Also the mini's are sealed units (supposedly) and should only have RAM added at purchase time. Custom built Minis. You can get into them though and do it yourself. I have so far upgraded HDD and also RAM. You can also upgrade processor in the Mac Minis since they are socketed.

    iFixit: iPod, iBook, & PowerBook Parts and Accessories

  10. #40
    jamin100's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Birmingham
    Posts
    1,036
    Thank Post
    141
    Thanked 98 Times in 78 Posts
    Rep Power
    33
    Quote Originally Posted by WStore_Dan View Post
    Taken from a CNET review...

    The case is made of the same aluminum housing and white plastic top, and the only minor differences in the rear panel are an additional USB port (bumping the total up to five), a single FireWire 800 port, a Mini DVI input, and Mini DisplayPort input. That display-standard change is actually significant because it lets the Mac Mini support two displays for the first time, and the internal hardware is also powerful enough to drive a 30-inch, 2,560x1,600 LCD.


    I'll find out about the warranty issue for you and let you know
    Cool, I'd need 4GB ram though to run some vmware sessions.
    i would be tempted by one of these.

  11. #41
    DMcCoy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Isle of Wight
    Posts
    3,431
    Thank Post
    10
    Thanked 488 Times in 428 Posts
    Rep Power
    111
    Quote Originally Posted by HodgeHi View Post
    Yes. There are no redirected folders. Everything, including the caches, are stored on the remote server

    I do need to configure the setup for re-directing the caches. Someone posted about how to do this via WGM. Anyone point me in the right direction. I have searched but couldn't find it.

    I have also shut down the AFP service due to the server needing a reboot (SMB service keeps dying randomly for some reason) while people have been connected. It seemed to restore their connection afterwards too. One was the deputy head.
    Hmm, well they all crash here, had whole rooms go when the afp server crashed. Perhaps thats my biggest issue with os x, inconsistency.

    To redirect the cache folder see here:

    AFP548 - Leopard's Built-in Network Home Folder Redirector

  12. Thanks to DMcCoy from:

    HodgeHi (11th March 2009)

  13. #42
    rolfea's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Hereford
    Posts
    682
    Thank Post
    66
    Thanked 50 Times in 25 Posts
    Rep Power
    21
    Quote Originally Posted by DMcCoy View Post
    Look at running keychain minder at login, it will help with the keychain issues.
    What if users don't know the old passwords, some of the old passwords are administrator passwords on the new Macs...

  14. #43

    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    West Bromwich
    Posts
    2,190
    Thank Post
    299
    Thanked 215 Times in 185 Posts
    Rep Power
    56
    Quote Originally Posted by DMcCoy View Post
    Hmm, well they all crash here, had whole rooms go when the afp server crashed. Perhaps thats my biggest issue with os x, inconsistency.

    To redirect the cache folder see here:

    AFP548 - Leopard's Built-in Network Home Folder Redirector
    I take back what i said previously. Only Yesterday did i have the issue you described. It seems that time is what kills Finder the most. If the disconnection and reconnection is quick say around 2 - 5 secs (maybe a little longer) then all is fine. But if there is a good deal of time between disconnection and reconnection then i think you will see issues. I can't really be entirely accurate.

    The reason is because there were other factors involved. The member of Staff was re-connecting into a switch as opposed to straight into the wall. This may also have had an impact. Finder did eventually come back albeit painfully slowly but was still unusable. The only thing i could do was log off.

    So my apologies. My mistake.

    Can you forgive me?

    PS. Thanks for the link. I will look into it.

  15. #44

    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    West Bromwich
    Posts
    2,190
    Thank Post
    299
    Thanked 215 Times in 185 Posts
    Rep Power
    56
    Quote Originally Posted by rolfea View Post
    What if users don't know the old passwords, some of the old passwords are administrator passwords on the new Macs...
    How did you create your user accounts and how are they managed? OD or AD users?
    Their profiles are stored where?
    How did you create the OS X profiles?

    I have changed users passwords (in AD) and IIRC they have updated in the keychain also. The only issues i had is when users chose to remember the Proxy password and then their password had been changed.

    I haven't looked at the issue for yonks though so not sure where it is at now.

    How i created my accounts is like this. I created a temp user, like you would when creating mandatory profiles. Log in as this user and configure the system as you would. Delete the keychain and then logout.

    Then using terminal copy the users home dir onto the server. Copy the temp users home dir into the default home template. When users log in this is the template that they should get, unless they are AD users who have force local home dir turned on. I think then they get the local system template home. I can't guarantee that though. Someone would need to confirm.

    Hope this helps a little

  16. #45
    DMcCoy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Isle of Wight
    Posts
    3,431
    Thank Post
    10
    Thanked 488 Times in 428 Posts
    Rep Power
    111
    Quote Originally Posted by rolfea View Post
    What if users don't know the old passwords, some of the old passwords are administrator passwords on the new Macs...
    Run it as a login item and keychain minder will prompt to change the password, if they don't know, it starts a new keychain in the users folder.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 5
    Last Post: 3rd June 2011, 11:01 AM
  2. PC Pro's attempts at the ICT GCSE
    By RobC in forum General Chat
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 18th June 2008, 07:48 PM
  3. Transfer Files & Settings From PC To Mac
    By GlennT in forum Office Software
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 16th February 2008, 12:30 AM
  4. iMacs & Airport/Wireless
    By tech_guy in forum Mac
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 11th December 2007, 03:40 PM
  5. For those with Mac Minis
    By Ric_ in forum General Chat
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 24th November 2005, 07:46 AM

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •