+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Mac Thread, New Imacs/Minis/Mac Pro's & AEBS/Time Capsule in Technical; I feel Apple are helping education more than ever. The RTC program in and around the UK has been very ...
    Thank Post
    I feel Apple are helping education more than ever.

The RTC program in and around the UK has been very successful. Offering free training to schools is more than Microsoft has offered.

If you feel you are not getting support contact your local RTC or contact your local reseller. Your ASE should be offering you as much support as they can handle.

In my local authority i have teamed up with apple and our local reseller to provide technical training for free to the LA to support Apples in both Secondary and Primary.

For more info on the Apple Regional Training Centre program visit here: Apple (United Kingdom) - Apple Regional Training Centres

Ross

Thank Post
    Me thinks any Mac users should get a PC then install Mac OS.

What rip off... £1k for a C2D, 2GB, 20" TFT, OS etc. I think I could get Double the spec for that price.

Only real difference is the ruddy DDR(2) going to DDR3 and the better graphics card. Of course this isn't forgetting that all important "Green" factor. (So your paying for those tin cans you throw away all those years ago)

Thank Post
    IMO Mac's are great
    Expensive
    But great.

As soon as you plug a network cable into the back of it. It all falls apart.

The Mac network, even with just using WGM and OD, no AD integration or anything require so much effort to maintain.

We even had a professional to set us up, yet some of the Macs insist on updating from the internet not the server. Some Macs still can't run applications because they're not allowed, even though its been added into WGM 7 odd times. Some Macs crash because a user logs out. Some Macs can't visit a web page without Safari's Keychain flashing in your face several times!
    WHATS THE DEAL WITH THAT!

If anyone can help stop any of these errors happening, feel free to PM and I'll try give a bit more patience to the Mac network.

Thank Post
    I'd love to have some mac here at school but the price is a major factor + our users wouldnt be able to understand the whole dual boot thing with xp and os x.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by rolfea View Post
    IMO Mac's are great
    Expensive
    But great.

As soon as you plug a network cable into the back of it. It all falls apart.

The Mac network, even with just using WGM and OD, no AD integration or anything require so much effort to maintain.

We even had a professional to set us up, yet some of the Macs insist on updating from the internet not the server. Some Macs still can't run applications because they're not allowed, even though its been added into WGM 7 odd times. Some Macs crash because a user logs out. Some Macs can't visit a web page without Safari's Keychain flashing in your face several times!
    WHATS THE DEAL WITH THAT!

If anyone can help stop any of these errors happening, feel free to PM and I'll try give a bit more patience to the Mac network.
    Your basing your opinions on mac networks down to the safari keychain asking for details? Plus a few issues which are easily fixed with other methods. Applications an be controlled via legacy if it bothers you that much. Shall we nip pick into how perfect microsoft networks are?

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,056 Times in 977 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Ross2k5 View Post
    Your basing your opinions on mac networks down to the safari keychain asking for details? Plus a few issues which are easily fixed with other methods. Applications an be controlled via legacy if it bothers you that much. Shall we nip pick into how perfect microsoft networks are?
    At the end he did request help and never said ms were any better, maybe you can show him the way on the dark side and how to use the force

8. Thanks to mac_shinobi from:

rolfea (6th March 2009)

Thank Post
    OH with MS we have DNS issues, log on scripts going fubar, exchange profile faults and all the rest. All networks have they're issues.

And I didn't say "MAC NETWORKS SUCK!!"

I did word "It all falls apart." incorrectly, I should have said "Ours all fell apart" I'm sure there are fully working Mac networks with no issues at all.

But, from my experience, the Mac network is very fiddly to maintain. For example one fix breaking something else and then that fix causing something else to go wrong!

And, like Mac_Shinobi said, I have asked for alot of help and alot of the help has been very useful and I thank you all for it.

But we still have our problems which, IMO are almost pointless, such as the Safari Keychain not actually in use yet still persists to cause annoyance.

I am certainly not judging the whole Mac network on a Safari Keychain, like you say, I am however judging it on the method of giving permissions and complexity of it all to someone who has been using the Macs for under a year, being thrown in the deep end with limited training and only having knowledge of Windows Servers and permissions.

I hope this gives you a better understanding of the position I'm in, and calms you down that little bit more. (your post sounded angry)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by jamin100 View Post
    Not too impressed to be honest. Specs are ok on the new machines but prices suck!

the lowest mac mini has seen a price jump from £391 to £499
    That pricing seems a tad high to me! We have the following available in our Mac Mini range....

Apple Mac mini
    1 x Intel Core 2 Duo 1.83GHz Dual Core
    1GB DDR II SDRAM
    80GB Serial ATA-150 HD
    CD-RW / DVD
    Gigabit Ethernet - 802.11b/g
    Bluetooth 2.0 EDR
    MacOS X 10.5

Price: £332.48+VAT

Apple Mac mini
    1 x Intel Core 2 Duo 2GHz Dual Core
    1GB DDR II SDRAM (2 x 512MB)
    120GB Serial ATA-150
    DVD±RW (±R DL)
    Gigabit Ethernet - 802.11b/g
    Bluetooth 2.0 EDR
    MacOS X 10.5

Price: £415.09+VAT

Both items are in stock and available for next day delivery

I've also been told that if you are after a large quantity, we can usually obtain a further educational discount for you

Any questions then please let me know

Regards

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by WStore_Dan View Post
    That pricing seems a tad high to me! We have the following available in our Mac Mini range....
    <snip>

Is that the old Mac Mini or the newly released one? If it is the new one you have a sale!

Thank Post
    I think these might be the old ones actually. I'll check with purchasing and if they are, I'll try and find out pricing on the new models for you

Won't be long
    Last edited by WStore_Dan; 6th March 2009 at 09:54 AM.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,799 Times in 1,117 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I have to admit that I miss the days when you could put the Macs in, put MacAdmin on top and not worry about it.

I haven't had a look at MacAdmin for some time but I am informed that Hi-Resolution are still going ... and I know that some people don't like middleware of any sort (backlash at CC3, Ranger, Classlink, etc) but it might be worth someone reviewing where they are now.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by TechMonkey View Post
    Is that the old Mac Mini or the newly released one? If it is the new one you have a sale!
    We have the new models in stock as shown below,

New Mac mini Core 2 Duo 2.0GHz/1GB/120GB/GeForce 9400M/SD £445.00+vat Free Delivery
    Intel® Core 2 Duo® 2.0GHz Processor
    1GB DDR3 RAM / 120GB Hard Disk Drive
    SuperDrive
    NVIDIA GeForce 9400M graphics
    Mac OS X v10.5 Leopard

New Mac Mini / Core 2 Duo 2.0GHz / 2GB RAM / 320GB HDD / NVIDIA GeForce / Bluetooth / Wifi-Draft N / SuperDrive / Mini PC £580+vat Free Delivery
    Intel® Core 2 Duo® 2.0GHz Processor
    2GB DDR3 RAM / 320GB Hard Disk Drive
    SuperDrive
    NVIDIA GeForce 9400M graphics
    Mac OS X v10.5 Leopard

Educational bids available for larger purchases,

Let me know if you need any further info.
    Last edited by CPLTD; 6th March 2009 at 10:15 AM.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Ross2k5 View Post
    But it is when you plug it into a network when Macs start to be very tiresome.

Here's a test:

Plug in, Login with network user with remote home folder / Library. Open an application.

Pull out network cable.

Spinning ball of death that never goes away requiring hard poweroff (seeing as Apples *never* crash, which is odd as when I use them the often do with network stuff).

Attempting to connect to OD before it's even started networking

Spotlight indexing ALL files on a users home folder on login, not being able to configure this for all users.

.DS_Store files

I could easily search for all the crash logs showing just how unstable Creative suite and Safari are on OS X. In a large *Managed* network environment OS X is simply not good enough, and each release makes it look further and further behind the windows and linux alternatives.

FYI I am typing this from Safari on my main workstation, an imac with 10.5. Under my desk is my laptop, a Macbook.

It's not that Apple/OS X doesn't do a lot of other things well its that they don't do networking well.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by DMcCoy View Post
    But it is when you plug it into a network when Macs start to be very tiresome.

Here's a test:

Plug in, Login with network user with remote home folder / Library. Open an application.

Pull out network cable.

Spinning ball of death that never goes away requiring hard poweroff (seeing as Apples *never* crash, which is odd as when I use them the often do with network stuff).
    Plugging the cable back in might help the BBOD go away

I think its due to the fact that OS X doesn't copy down a profile to the local machine to work in then copy back up the data on log out. This does have it's uses as well as it's problems.

The Safari keychain thing I think this has something to do with a password change but the login details stored in Safari are still the old details. IIRC this is the reason i kept getting the prompts. it was for the details stored for the proxy.

Remote home dirs are also very fun when using wireless

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast