+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Mac Thread, Rolling Back Updates in Technical; I've updated my Mac Office to much and its now not being allowed to run because Workgroup Manager says its ...
    Thank Post

Rolling Back Updates

I've updated my Mac Office to much and its now not being allowed to run because Workgroup Manager says its a different version, which is correct.

Is there a way of "uninstalling" updates so it's back to version 11.5 instead of 11.5.1

I don't particularly want to uninstall Mac Office.

Does anyone else have a problem with Mac Office and workgroup manager? Seems to me like its a complete pain in the neck!

Thank Post
    can you not just update WGM of the new version?

Thank Post
    If you're looking for something similar to Windows Restore in OSX you won't find one.

If it's an important System Update the advice is to create a workable bootable clone before running the update. Not that important for the Client OS but should always be considered for the Server OS.

Why don't you simply copy over the application from one of the other clients that you've not updated? Assuming you've only updated a handful and not all of them? Besides I'm not sure I understand the problem you're seeing with Workgroup Manager? The application should not care what version any application is.

Unless you've updated the OS as well? What is it you're trying to do exactly and how are you trying to do it?

Antonio Rocco (ACSA)

Thank Post
    Rolfea, you need to dig out your OS X server disk, install the server tools onto a workstation with the updated office. Then run workgroup manager on said workstation and add office as an allowed application.

Matt.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by saundersmatt View Post
    Rolfea, you need to dig out your OS X server disk, install the server tools onto a workstation with the updated office. Then run workgroup manager on said workstation and add office as an allowed application.

Matt.
    This what i meant to say. Reading back my post, it didn't really make much sense. Sorry about that.

Thank Post
    It's easier to use the new paths options for controlling applications in 10.5, don't have to worry about the digital signatures then. I allow /Applications then disallow the ones in there I don't want students to run.

Thank Post
    I've Started to place my apps in certain folders so like DMcCoy i can allow and deny by folders. For example any games go into a 'games' folder and utilities are in the utilities folder. I can thus deny the access to utilities whilst still allowing access to Applications. Office should be the same, IIRC it adds it's own folder.

Thank Post
    Sorry, I didn't give enough information. I know about the server applications, my bad.

We have Office already in WGM. That works fine for all of our Art Macs which has version 11.5.0

However I've updated it to 11.5.1 which then makes it not allowed to run.
    And if I add it to WGM it will enable mine to run but not in art.

For the time being I have allowed it in machine preferences so it can run, but I don't want to keep it like this.
    I want it all to be consistent and the same.

If that makes sense?

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by AntonioRocco View Post
    Besides I'm not sure I understand the problem you're seeing with Workgroup Manager? The application should not care what version any application is.
    (ACSA)
    For some odd reason it seems to, atleast that is the only thing different from mine to the ones in Art, for example. Mine doesn't run and their does. And mine was able to run before I updated it.

Thank Post
    As i mentioned Office creates it's own folder 'Office 2004'. What about adding this to the allowed folders section?

Are the Versions of OS the same for yours and Art (both leopard and not Tiger and leopard). The new application restrictions only work for leopard. You need to use legacy for Tiger.

Thank Post
    Everything we have Mac wise in on leopard and its all 10.5.6

The folder is added in the allowed folders, again its for Office 10.5 not 10.5.1 however I'm hesitant of adding it again in case it stops the art machines from working.

Should workgroup manager allow it to work whatever the version of office then, with only adding it once?

Thank Post
    I think I'm beginning to understand what's happened?

Assuming you've updated all your Client's Office applications then you should be able to install WorkGroup Manager on one of those macs. Remove the application from the approved list and re-add it.

All WGM is doing is providing a link to that application if it's installed on the Clients being managed. If the client workstation used to add the application still has the older version installed then I can see this would give a problem for the other clients if their version was newer or older.

You should also realize that Workgroup Manager as an application can throw a wobbly every now and again. Removing com.apple.WorkgroupManager.plist from ~/Users/Home/Preferences folder followed by a relaunch of the application sometimes gets it back on track.

The property list should be removed from whichever mac you're using to apply MCX. I would not apply application MCX from the Server itself. Otherwise you have to install or copy all the client's applications to the server. Why bother?

Antonio Rocco (ACSA)

13. Thanks to AntonioRocco from:

rolfea (26th February 2009)

Thank Post
    I understand what you are saying.

So in order to get all of them to work again, I either have to update the other 70 or so Office programs, or re-install mine? There is no way of editing files or rolling back an update so it's the same?

Thank Post
    If you have Apple remote desktop can you not just Copy the newer Office Folder from your computer and overwrite the copy on the remote machines?

Thank Post
    We don't have ARD yet.

our apple network is still only young

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast