+ Post New Thread
Mac Thread, Mac Data recovery in Technical; Hi all Does anyone know of a Free Data Recovery Program for Macs?...

Thank Post

Mac Data recovery

Hi all

Does anyone know of a Free Data Recovery Program for Macs?

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,255 Times in 786 Posts
    Blog Entries
    data recovery how?

like deleted files, or a dead disk?

Thank Post
    Deleted files, and in this case particularly files that were moved to another computer and then lost.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    How long ago...

to be honest you probably won't have much luck. Unix file systems once files are RM'd tend to overwrite the space very quickly.

you could download a trial of Mac Data Recovery Software, Mac Data Rescue, Digital Data Recovery Disk for Mac and see if it can at least see the files you need

Thank Post
    Not that long ago and it hasn't been used since except to install the trial of Stellar Phoenix Macintosh i have tried.

I think have a found the files to recover but you have to pay to get them. The annoying thing is that I can't check the files in the recovery program against what is in the original folder because the Ladmin user doesn't have priviledges to do so..... Is that standard in Macs for the Admin account to be unable to access other user accounts?

Or would I need to access it via the server account?

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    you might want to enable the root user

Enabling and using the "root" user in Mac OS X

Use with caution!

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    you could also try enabling the mac in target disk mode and connecting it to another, then searching for the ~/.trash folder.

there's a chance they're still in there if the disk recovery tool found them

Thank Post

Recovering deleted Data on a Mac

Hi

As far as I know there are no 'Free' Data Recovery applications. DataRescue is more for recovering data from a drive that is still spinning but is not accessible in the normal way. Generally drives that have lost their ability to hold and maintain a valid file system directory.

You can find DataRescue from here:

Data Recovery Software, Hard Drive Data/File Recovery Software for Windows/Mac

You could try FileSalvager:

FileSalvage - Mac OS X Data Recovery, Undelete Files, Rescue Lost Data

What 'sometimes' works is to pull the power cable out of the affected mac immediately after the deletion has taken place. If you are quick enough and if the action does not 'shock' the drive into a failed state then on successful reboot you may find the Trash has 'miraculously' filled itself with the deleted data. The speed of the action was too quick for the file system to organize itself with an updated catalog of the drive's contents. Clearly use this method with extreme caution and at your own risk. You have to ask yourself how important is the data?

To be honest the longer you leave this the less chance you have of recovering anything meaningful. As already pointed out files that are deleted either using delete Trash or through terminal using rm -R -v don't hang around for long. Even moving the mouse after deletion alters the contents of the drive in a small way. This would affect the chances of a successful recovery.

Seriously once its gone its gone.

If the files were on a OSX Server-based share point and were deleted by a user 'over the network' there is even less chance. You could for example limit this from happening. It's a good idea to enable ACLs on the shared volume and define read/write but deny delete access. That way users can create, read and overwrite but never delete files and/or folders.

Root and ssh are enabled by default on every OSX Server installation/deployment. On OSX Client you have to enable root as well as assigning a password if you want superuser (sudo) to work. You would have to precede a powerful command such as rm with sudo in any case.

Finally you could sidestep all of this by making sure you have an effective back-up strategy in place.

Antonio Rocco (ACSA)
    Last edited by AntonioRocco; 26th December 2008 at 09:24 AM.

Thank Post
    I have very successfully recovered master's degree files "lost" on an external drive that went into the sunset (apparently) and would have cost the teacher their degree; a Mac that had a "broken" HDD; a laptop where the user had deleted files and needed them back (but had done as suggested and just turned the machine straight off) and then this past week an iMac with HDD issues. To do this I have always bought Data Rescue II- (I think by Prosoft?)

Worth the money I reckon.

Paul

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread