+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Mac Thread, Mac Update Service (WSUS 4 MAC) in Technical; When i get a second, I will try this at home where i have a completely windows free mac installation. ...

Thank Post
    When i get a second, I will try this at home where i have a completely windows free mac installation. I will test and return my findings to the group

Although IIRC using ARD with 10.4.11 yielded the same results as mentioned previously. What i can't remember though is whether i tried both before i removed the Tiger systems from the AD and afterwards.

Thank Post
    Ok. I have just looked at the software update on my machines as i have now got to update iTunes. I went to one client (client A) and ran the software update tool. It failed. eh? I checked the machine connected to the whiteboard (client B). This one worked fine.

Now i know for a fact that the 2 machines are in different computer lists. I checked the settings on the network prefs and then i checked the settings on the software update.

Here's the problem. The URL entered into the field on client A was:
    http://myserver.domain.com:8088

The URL entered into the field for client B was:
    http://myserver.domain.com:8088/

I added the slash at the end and then restarted the client B after i had applied the changes. The client updated straight away fine. So don't forget the "/". Its very important.

Thank Post
    I have just re-visited this and have found that the above doesn't really matter. Yes, it matters if the slash is not added to the end but the main issue with sending out the ARD command to do the softwareupdate -i -a is that the clients need to have the bypass proxy domains set for the computer. Managing these settings using WGM for the computer groups does not work. You will have to manually add these settings to each machine. Luckily you can also do this using ARD

Use the command
    Code:
    networksetup -setproxybypassdomains "network-device being used" *.local 169.254/16 192.168.0.* *.your domain.name.com
    Replace network device being used with the device you wish to set the proxy settings for, the IP with your IP address range and the domain name with your own.

Now you should be able to run the softwareupdate -i -a as root without each machine needing to be logged in and software updates done manually.

You could also configure the softwareupdate -i -a to run as a schedule in ARD and then have automatic updates downloaded and installed.

HOWEVER, i do have one strange issue. If i log in as an admin on a client and run software update it sees itunes 9.0. even though if i list the updates using root from ARD after i have just installed some updates, it sees nothing to install.

Thank Post
    on my servers i have the address as http://myserver.domain.com:8088/index.sucatalog i then use either ARD or a manual software update.

Thank Post
    I will change my settings in WGM to use the full path. See if that sorts the itunes problem.

Thank Post
    I can't get this working at all, when on the login screen software update -i -a (or -l) just state 'no updates are available' - when logged in on the actual machine running the same command with sudo displays the 6/7 updates that are available - I tried the 'fix' of setting proxy bypasses for root but my sucatalog URL is just an IP anyway so I don't see why that would help (it didnt).

What is causing this?

Thank Post
    if you run software update from the apple does it show the local server address in brackets at the top of the box?

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12