+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Mac Thread, OS X Network Share for all users in Technical; We have an xserve on which we created a shared folder on the DATA volume, permissions have all be set ...
    theeldergeek

OS X Network Share for all users

We have an xserve on which we created a shared folder on the DATA volume, permissions have all be set correctly (we think!)

I want to make this share available to all users as a mounted/mapped folder when they log in.

Does anyone know how to do this please?

Thank Post
    This is how i would do it.

Install workgroup manager (WGM) onto a machine other than the server hosting the share. One of the clients would be fine (unless you have removed the connect to server in Finder).

Before starting WGM, go to the connect to server command in Finder and then type in the FQDN of the server and then the name of the share for example, myserver.example.com/myshare. This should then mount the share on your desktop.

Don't use the finder sidebar to find the server, connect as and then mount the share as i have found that this messes up the path and then it doesn't mount correctly. To see this right-click on the share and click get info.

Once the share has mounted go to WGM and then the group you want to mount the share for on login. Go to login then items and the click on the plus sign. Click on the share that you have already mounted and then choose. the share should now be in the list of items in WGM. Select the share in the list and then tick mount with the users name and password underneath the list. This should then allow the share to mount on login using the users credentials. You can also add the share to the users dock as well if you wanted to. Go to the dock preference and then add the share as you did just for the login items.

Hope this helps. It is from memory so bits may not be what they say in the OS (such as the choose button). Don't forget to click done when you finish each change.

theeldergeek
    Quote Originally Posted by HodgeHi View Post
    This is how i would do it.

Install workgroup manager (WGM) onto a machine other than the server hosting the share. One of the clients would be fine (unless you have removed the connect to server in Finder).

Before starting WGM, go to the connect to server command in Finder and then type in the FQDN of the server and then the name of the share for example, myserver.example.com/myshare. This should then mount the share on your desktop.

Don't use the finder sidebar to find the server, connect as and then mount the share as i have found that this messes up the path and then it doesn't mount correctly. To see this right-click on the share and click get info.

Once the share has mounted go to WGM and then the group you want to mount the share for on login. Go to login then items and the click on the plus sign. Click on the share that you have already mounted and then choose. the share should now be in the list of items in WGM. Select the share in the list and then tick mount with the users name and password underneath the list. This should then allow the share to mount on login using the users credentials.
    Thanks for this.

I followed the instructions, and indeed the share point shows in WGM under the specific group I want, but doesn't appear on the desktop when a member of that group logs in.

Just out of interest, the shared folder I am trying to get at doesn't show anywhere in Finder, but i can get to it when 'connecting to'... don't know if that's significant or not?

What do I need to do to the folder on the Xserve to make it visible?

Stuck again I'm afraid.
    Last edited by theeldergeek; 3rd December 2008 at 01:09 PM.

Thank Post
    It may be because the finder has been set to not show network drives on the desktop. I would check this first. Go to finder, Preferences, General and then tick connected servers.

theeldergeek
    It may be because the finder has been set to not show network drives on the desktop. I would check this first. Go to finder, Preferences, General and then tick connected servers.
    Yep, resolved that little 'quirk', so I know that's not the problem. Just can't get this share to show on each users desktop when they login.

It's basically a shared folder with read/write access for all staff. No fancy permissions, just a folder! gah!

Thank Post
    Then the setting may be set in WGM. IIRC WGM, Preferences, Finder, There's settings in there that say what should be on the desktop.

Sorry i can't be more specific, my tv only supports 800 x 600 res and WGm needs aty least 1024 to open. S**t telly of mine

theeldergeek
    Then the setting may be set in WGM. IIRC WGM, Preferences, Finder, There's settings in there that say what should be on the desktop.

Sorry i can't be more specific, my tv only supports 800 x 600 res and WGm needs aty least 1024 to open. S**t telly of mine
    OK, well thanks for the help you have been able to give, but it doesn't want to work for some reason.

I'll keep plugging at it.

Thank Post
    Does it actually mount the share though i.e. can you access it?

If so then it is most likely a setting. Remember that you can set these preferences by single user, groups of users and computer groups as well.

You won't be able to test this on the server or machine where the share resides as it will say its local folder. I will keep thinking of what it can be.

theeldergeek
    Does it actually mount the share though i.e. can you access it?

If so then it is most likely a setting. Remember that you can set these preferences by single user, groups of users and computer groups as well.

You won't be able to test this on the server or machine where the share resides as it will say its local folder. I will keep thinking of what it can be.
    I can mount the share on my Mac (the Client) but there is no sign of it when I log in as one of the users for whom I want this to show (i.e. staff)

SO, just to re-cap :

I am mounting it on my machine (client with WGM installed) and can access it.
    I go through the stages of adding it into items on WGM for the group.
    I log into my machine as another user to see if it is there, it isn't.

I'm fumbling now, but looking through other Mac forums this seems to be a real issue to get working, talking of scripts and all sorts!

Thank Post
    Ok Have you checked that the users you are trying have access to this share? You can check this by using effective permissions in Server admin. This should allow you to see what access rights the user has similar to the windows method.

You could also check the afp authentication method as well. Choose any method option to test your mounting of shares. I have since changed my auth type to this as kerberos doesn't seem to work very well with new AD users :S

Also ensure that the tick box for the login item to allow users to mount it with their own username and passwored is checked.

I auto mount around 5 different shares on login, one is their home dir, one is a pupil share, one is a smb share on a windows 2003 box, and one is for the Paper cut client and a drop box for pupils. I don't use the desktop though i use the dock for my shares. I find this a neater alternative, especially when you use the spaces hack in WGM as well.

I am using 10.5.5 server with 10.5.5 clients.

Like i said before though, DON'T USE Finder's main window to mount the shares it messes up the unc, use the connect to server option instead. If you do use the finder window method you will find that you get an error on login.

theeldergeek
    Ok Have you checked that the users you are trying have access to this share? You can check this by using effective permissions in Server admin.
    OK, I'm new to Macs, I have no idea how to do this.

You could also check the afp authentication method as well. Choose any method option to test your mounting of shares. I have since changed my auth type to this as kerberos doesn't seem to work very well with new AD users
    oh gawd! I'm starting to feel a bit neck deep here. My knowledge of Macs is definitely very limited. We've only recently introduced a Mac network here, so I'm still doggy paddling!

Also ensure that the tick box for the login item to allow users to mount it with their own username and passwored is checked.
    Yep, I can confirm that is definitely checked.

I auto mount around 5 different shares on login, one is their home dir, one is a pupil share, one is a smb share on a windows 2003 box, and one is for the Paper cut client and a drop box for pupils. I don't use the desktop though i use the dock for my shares. I find this a neater alternative, especially when you use the spaces hack in WGM as well.
    I'm happy to use either desktop or dock - a result on either will have me whooping with delight!

I am using 10.5.5 server with 10.5.5 clients.
    Likewise.

Like i said before though, DON'T USE Finder's main window to mount the shares it messes up the unc, use the connect to server option instead. If you do use the finder window method you will find that you get an error on login.
    Yep, doing exactly as you said.

Thank Post
    We have shared documents actually docked onto the dock, they don't move from there.

If this is almost what you want then it is done like;

On a client machine install Server Admin Tools (found on Apple site)
    Open the Shared Area on the xserve in finder, connecting to the xserve as the admin or blah blah, and ensure you have the preference ticked to show connected servers.
    Open workgroup manager, highlight the group / users you want to have the shared area docked, click on preference (top left) then dock items.

Drag and drop
    the shared area from the desktop into the Workgroup Manager section named Document and Folders.

This first time you access the shared documents you might have to authenticate, I can't remember. If you do they can store the details in the keychain.

If the user hasn't authenticated it'll just show as a translucent question mark
    Last edited by rolfea; 4th December 2008 at 03:28 PM.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Tx2online View Post
    OK, I'm new to Macs, I have no idea how to do this.

oh gawd! I'm starting to feel a bit neck deep here. My knowledge of Macs is definitely very limited. We've only recently introduced a Mac network here, so I'm still doggy paddling!
    I know exactly how you feel, this was me 4 or so months ago.. pretty much have the essentials grasped now (i like to think )

Thank Post
    I'd like to say it gets easier but it don't. I walked into work this morning after being off ill ( and still was) to find that the mail server had lost its directory connection to the AD domain. This resulted in none of the users being able to use email. Also the booking system (mrbs) authenticates via imap (easiest way to set it up for me as i have never had much luck with authenticating against ADs LDAP) and so had to sort that out. Why it lost the connection i don't know. I found out that it happened around 4.30 yesterday afternoon.

Thank Post
    Don't forget to check the logs found in Utilities/Console.

These can give quite a bit of information. Also try and connect to the share manually from one of the clients. See if the share mounts. keep the console open as well so you can see what is getting logged at each stage.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast