+ Post New Thread
Mac Thread, Binding a Mac to Active Directory in Technical; Does anyone know how to bind a Mac to Active Directory so that you can loging using an AD user ...
    Thank Post

Binding a Mac to Active Directory

Does anyone know how to bind a Mac to Active Directory so that you can loging using an AD user account? Yes? good then perhaps you could tell me how to make that binding remain inplace so that when I reboot the Mac I can again log in with the AD user account without first having to log in and then out again using a local account?

When I go into the directory utility I can see that the binding remains in place however I simply cannot get the 'other' usr to show up on the login screen until I have logged in with a local account first.

Its OS X 10.5 BTW.

From GD over on CF:
    Are you purely using the OSX client or do you have OSX Server and using OD too? Workgroup Manager?

Do you have the time server set to the DC (forest root preferably)?
    Are you using the DCs for DNS?
    Did you bind it to the domain or to a preferred DC?
    It's purely the Mac Client.
    Do I need to set the time server? if so how and where?
    Yep it's using the DC's for DNS (DHCP Client)
    It's simply binding to the domain.

Thank Post
    You say you can't get the other user to show up at the login screen, could you not set the login window to Name and Password? This should let you type the credentials for an active directory authentication.

Thank Post
    Are you using Wifi to connect?

To set the time click on the time in the top right corner and click open date and time. Click on Date and time and then tick Set date and time automatically. Select the text in the box to the right and type in the IP address of the NTP server you would like to use. Hit the return key to set it. The time should change.

Have you waited long enough at the login screen?

If you are in a "Magic Triangle" set up (AD Server -> OD Server -> OS X Client) then if you click on the name of the machine on the login window it cycles through some options. One of these options is network accounts available. It should go through red to yellow to green. If yellow something maybe wrong with one of the servers (OD or AD). It usually takes around a minute to fully connect to all servers and thats on a wired network.

Just a little bit to go on.

Also check the AD plugin options. Select all Domains in forest and choose a preferred DC.
    Last edited by HodgeHi; 6th November 2008 at 11:53 AM.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by skawarrior View Post
    You say you can't get the other user to show up at the login screen, could you not set the login window to Name and Password? This should let you type the credentials for an active directory authentication.
    Yeah that sounds like the easiest solution. I do this anyway because it looks the most similar to an XP logon screen so minimal confusion

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread