+ Post New Thread
Mac Thread, Couple of Issues in Technical; Against my better judgement the Music department were allowed to buy a load of Macs plus a Mac server during ...

Thank Post

Couple of Issues

Against my better judgement the Music department were allowed to buy a load of Macs plus a Mac server during the summer and have them all set up. We aren't a Mac school so I have very little training with the beasties.

All the user profiles are stored on the Mac server along with the users personal folders (Z:\), these folders are transferred to the particular Mac the student logs onto and when they log off all the files are transferred back overwriting older files.

One of the problems we're having is that the information isn't always being copied back to the Mac server so the student ends up with a new version on the local machine rather than on the server.

The second issue which is possibly connected, is that students can manage to log on to the local machine with their network username etc if the Local machine isn't connected to the server.

Any ideas?

Thank Post

Angry

Sorry mate i cant help you with the Mac problem but you might want to think twice before you bend over backwards to fix it. I would just say to the people in the music department to speak to the person who's idea it was to get them without giving you any training and get them to sort it out. Then let you know what they did afterwards.
    I do that kind of thing here, if someone over rules me when it comes to making a descision i make sure when i screws up, it lands firmly back in their lap. Needless to say it doesn't happen here very often anymore.
    good luck mate

Quote Originally Posted by Reaper View Post
    Against my better judgement the Music department were allowed to buy a load of Macs plus a Mac server during the summer and have them all set up. We aren't a Mac school so I have very little training with the beasties.

All the user profiles are stored on the Mac server along with the users personal folders (Z:\), these folders are transferred to the particular Mac the student logs onto and when they log off all the files are transferred back overwriting older files.

One of the problems we're having is that the information isn't always being copied back to the Mac server so the student ends up with a new version on the local machine rather than on the server.

The second issue which is possibly connected, is that students can manage to log on to the local machine with their network username etc if the Local machine isn't connected to the server.

Any ideas?

Thank Post
    Heh ironically the subject of my Mac training has just come up again in a meeting between the Bursar and my NM, looks like it will be happening.

Appreciate the response though

Thank Post
    Is there a specific reason you're using a synchronisation style method rather than just mapping "drives"?

Thank Post
    Just remembered I hadn't responded to this.

That's a good question and off the top of my head I don't know. It might have been to reduce the spread of network activity in that section of the school or to protect against any loss of current work if the server went down while the student was recording.

I'll have to check that out methinks.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread