+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Mac Thread, New Macbook Pro, I donít think I like itÖ. in Technical; Someone on another forum has suggested a Mac Mini; does anyone know if it can does a "Presenters View" and ...

Thank Post
    Someone on another forum has suggested a Mac Mini; does anyone know if it can does a "Presenters View" and a clean projection view using adapters of which I know not?

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,044 Times in 966 Posts
    dont you get the mini dvi to vga convertor cable with your mac book or mac book pro as standard ?

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by mac_shinobi View Post
    dont you get the mini dvi to vga convertor cable with your mac book or mac book pro as standard ?
    Maybe, but my question above refers to the Mac Mini; desktop thingy. Can you do two outputs from one of those?

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,255 Times in 786 Posts
    Blog Entries
    you can with a maxtor dualhead2go unit.

they're a bit pricy, but I bet one of those, and a mini would still be less than a macbook.

and if its keynote you're using it'll definately do a presenter view through it.

Thank Post
    if you use the convertor cable you get with your mac that converts it from dvi or mini dvi to vga then surely you could get a vga splitter box and that would give you 2 outputs ?

Also Neo Office for os x is better then open office for os x as its ported to os x so it runs ( or at least I found it did ) run a lot better.

Thank Post
    if you use the convertor cable you get with your mac that converts it from dvi or mini dvi to vga then surely you could get a vga splitter box and that would give you 2 outputs ?.
    Sorry, but have you ever done "presentation view"? It isn't a simple duplicate screen. The speaker gets his notes, a view of the next slide and control of the presentation on a laptop screen. The VGA output ONLY shows the current slide.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    yeah...and a dualhead2go will do that...

Thank Post
    havent tried it as havent got a mac book or mac mini or whatever but from past experience it should detect it as another display ( in display prefs ) you can either set it to clone the display or have it as extended so you could in theory open two copys of the same document and always have the copy on the laptop screen one screen or slide ahead of the one on the main display ie the projector.

So am guessing if this is a mac book when you use the convertor cable when you connect the projector as the secondary display you can do the same and set the projector as an extended desktop or screen and run a duplicate document on each screen.

Thank Post
    Also Neo Office for os x is better then open office for os x as its ported to os x so it runs ( or at least I found it did ) run a lot better.

Open Office 3 has just been released as a native install now. It no longer needs the X11. Upon my testing it seems a lot better for this.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by HodgeHi View Post
    Open Office 3 has just been released as a native install now. It no longer needs the X11. Upon my testing it seems a lot better for this.
    just downloading now and gonna try it

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Andrew_C View Post
    Someone on another forum has suggested a Mac Mini; does anyone know if it can does a "Presenters View" and a clean projection view using adapters of which I know not?
    the mac mini should really should offer a Y-cable option for dual displays. The dual2head thingy domino mentions maybe the only option but it's really inelegant. No word on what the next iteration of the mac mini will feature. Could feature a full on displayport adapter who knows ?

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    so you could in theory open two copys of the same document and always have the copy on the laptop screen one screen or slide ahead of the one on the main display ie the projector.
    the issue hes asking about, is that mac mini only has one output. an adapter makes no difference.

As for the two douments thing, most presentation software (and especially keynote for the mac) has a 'presenter' mode which shows the current, and also next slide as well as your notes, to allow you to properly talk - while the main display shows just the main output.

Of course, you need two seperate (not cloned) displays for this to work.

..unless i'm getting the wrong end of thestick.

Personally, for most mac mini users I don't think this is an issue. and if you particularly want presenter view a macbook may be a better solution, but the dualhead2go does make it a hell of a lot cheaper to use a mini

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12