+ Post New Thread
Mac Thread, Another Firefox 3 question in Technical; Hello, I'm just setting up FFox 3 on a room of iMacs (10.5.4). I have edited the global prefs.js file ...

Thank Post

Another Firefox 3 question

Hello,

I'm just setting up FFox 3 on a room of iMacs (10.5.4). I have edited the global prefs.js file with our various settings to force homepages / proxy settings etc using "user_pref". This works fine, but I would like to use "lockPref" so that students cannot remove proxy settings. If i chage user_pref for lockPref, the entire line of code is ignored so students are left with a default mozilla home page and no proxy at all. If i change it back to user_pref, it all works fine?! Is lockPref the correct syntax for this, or am I missing something?

Also, we use the system proxy plugin so that FFox picks up the system proxy from Mac OS X. However, when FFox launches, it insists on a compatibility check of the plugin which is a pain. I installed a second plugin that disables compatibility checking but this will not run properly when I send the app out to our iMacs (says the file is malformed). Is there another way I can set FFox to NOT check compatibility of installed plugins / addons?

Thanks again!

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    The file must be encoded, and renamed. There's an online encoder you can use here:

Automatic Mozilla Configurator

Once you've encoded it, you need to rename it to mozilla.cfg and put it in your Firefox program folder.

Finally, in the greprefs folder there’s a file called all.js. Add the following line at the end of it:

pref("general.config.filename", "mozilla.cfg");

3. Thanks to Geoff from:

iSteve (27th August 2008)

Thank Post
    Thanks! I had a look at the mozilla.cfg generator thing yesterday, but I think my original file had bad line endings. It works now.

Thank Post
    I'm trying to accomplish locked preferences for Firefox as well. I've found various web sites detailing how to do this, but no matter what I try, I'm getting "Configuration Error: Failed to read the configuration file. Please contact your system administrator."

I have a perl script which is "encrypting" the file with rot13, and I'm placing it in /Applications/Firefox.app/Contents/MacOS/grepprefs/

Any idea where I'm going wrong?

Thanks.

Thank Post
    In greprefs, all.js, you add the line

as Geoff said. You then make a text file with your config options/locks in. This goes in Firefox.app/Contents/MacOS after you have changed it to rot13 format and called it mozilla.cfg.

The first time I tried this, I had the same error message. I then remade the text file in SubEthaEdit and changed the line endings to Windows line endings, saved it out as a .txt, then used the online configurator mentioned above to get the .cfg file.

Hope that makes sense!

Thank Post
    Has anyone actually gotten this to work in Firefox 3?

I used Automatic Mozilla Configurator to byteshift my mozilla.txt and create a mozilla.cfg file.

I have this working on my systems for Mozilla 1.7 and Firefox 2.18 and have so for years now. Ever since Firefox 1.0x I believe.

It ignores the file in Firefox 3.04

I've tried putting

Code:
    at the end of

/opt/sfw/lib/firefox3/defaults/pref/firefox.js

and

/opt/sfw/lib/firefox3/greprefs/all.js

with no luck.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread