+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Mac Thread, FFS! Stop asking for my password! - How do i turn that off? in Technical; Originally Posted by kingswood Very true Although I believe the main reason for this was the OD Master/Replica model? Still- ...
    Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by kingswood View Post
    Very true

Although I believe the main reason for this was the OD Master/Replica model?

Still- it is a bit strange

Of course it's probably best to change the root password as soon as the server is installed and configured..just to be safe(er).

Enabling and using the "root" user in Mac OS X

Paul
    It gets set the same as the admin user password during setup, so it's not too bad. Very useful it is too

Thank Post
    The advice is only bad if you appreciate the basic security features built into OS X and or *nix. The original question shows that security is not a concern, in fact its a burden. So enabling root will dissolve the need to use gksudo or sudo.

I dont recommend using dsenableroot, but if your looking to launch all your apps without being prompted for a password, dsenableroot is the quickest way to have full root access to your entire OS.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by petroz View Post
    The advice is only bad if you appreciate the basic security features built into OS X and or *nix. The original question shows that security is not a concern, in fact its a burden. So enabling root will dissolve the need to use gksudo or sudo.

I dont recommend using dsenableroot, but if your looking to launch all your apps without being prompted for a password, dsenableroot is the quickest way to have full root access to your entire OS.
    I don't believe the OP mentioned anything about security not being a concern. They simply stated that the prompts were an annoyance they could do without. There's a world of difference.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,828 Times in 1,135 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Actually ... I get annoyed that the Taxman takes a chunk of my wages? Can I turn him off too?

Reduced security has a raft of implications. If it is an annoyance I hate to think what would happen if it isn't there ... anything could get through ... including some nice little automator tasks that someone could send out ...

FN-GM ... I have a file I think want to open ...

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by kingswood View Post
    I don't believe the OP mentioned anything about security not being a concern. They simply stated that the prompts were an annoyance they could do without. There's a world of difference.

There's also a world of difference between what you interpreted from my last post and what I actually wrote...... I clearly said "The original question shows" not "mentioned."

In simple terms, the OP does not like having to enter his pw when launching apps, dsenableroot is one approach of many to solve this. So take it as a approach, not a suggestion.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by GrumbleDook View Post
    Actually ... I get annoyed that the Taxman takes a chunk of my wages? Can I turn him off too?

Reduced security has a raft of implications. If it is an annoyance I hate to think what would happen if it isn't there ... anything could get through ... including some nice little automator tasks that someone could send out ...

FN-GM ... I have a file I think want to open ...
    Well said.

Running with least privilege and having the odd prompt or two (or three perhaps) is much better than running all with full access. I wouldn't run Vista this way and certainly won't run OS X this way either. It *is* an approach but a very bad idea all the same.

I'll take the nagging. I'm used to it anyway

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,780 Times in 1,534 Posts
    Blog Entries
    You don’t get this in XP so why isn’t there all sorts of dodgy things happening like you say would happen if it wasn't there?

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,828 Times in 1,135 Posts
    Blog Entries
    You mean why isn't XP vulnerable to malware, spyware and viruses when people open a file that hasn't been scanned or they think is ok because it came from a trusted person or trusted site so they even tell their AV software that it is ok?

That's why MS went over the top with Vista's friendly "Are you sure you want to move your mouse?" attitude.

Getting some sort of balance is important but running a system as root is not something people do for extremely good reasons and has quite a bit of precedent.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    And the sooner MS adopt a grown up root privilege system the better. And how much better for sysadmins fed up of fighting the plague that is the 'designed to run as admin' trash software we have to try and deal with. (I'm looking at YOU Capita !!)

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12