+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Mac Thread, Rumored Mac Price Drop due to increasing Price Gap in Technical; Just read this blog posting suggesting thar Apple may be looking at dropping its prices shortly due to an increasing ...

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,677 Times in 2,271 Posts
    Blog Entries

Rumored Mac Price Drop due to increasing Price Gap

Just read this blog posting suggesting thar Apple may be looking at dropping its prices shortly due to an increasing price gap between the cost of Macs and PCs in the US market.

TechBlog: The price difference between Macs and PCs widens

Not wanting to start the inevitable war about Macs vs PCs but I do think that it would be good for Apple if they are indeed looking at this.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,679 Times in 1,459 Posts
    Blog Entries
    dam only just bought my imac

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by FN-Greatermanchester View Post
    dam only just bought my imac
    Probably won't happen here anyway.

Thank Post
    Ohhh, that would be nice. I need a new Mac Mini. But as petectid says, probably won't reach these shores.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by TechMonkey View Post
    Ohhh, that would be nice. I need a new Mac Mini.
    Actually, for what it is, I still think the Mac Mini is the best value machine in its class. There's only a couple of similar compact PCs on the market and they all cost more, and Mac OS X comes with snazzy built-in iLife software. You can't make yourself a near-silent, compact PC for any cheaper (believe me, I've tried).

--
    David Hicks

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    one of my friends just ordered a new mac, and he said for a laugh when he was doing the online pricing wizard thing, he chose the biggest and the best option for each bit, and the grand total was over 17,000.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by RabbieBurns View Post
    one of my friends just ordered a new mac, and he said for a laugh when he was doing the online pricing wizard thing, he chose the biggest and the best option for each bit, and the grand total was over 17,000.
    Oooh, prices have gone up since the last time I played out that little fantasy - the ol' If I won the lottery dream. Usually the Mac Pro top spec comes out between 10.5k and 12k, and that include 2 30" Monitors!

Though there is the 'build your own mac' option. Apple may frown upon the practice but you can easily outspec the Mac Pro for a much lower price with off the shelf components, you just have the hastel of getting OS X installed.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,443 Times in 1,891 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by tmcd35 View Post
    Though there is the 'build your own mac' option. Apple may frown upon the practice but you can easily outspec the Mac Pro for a much lower price with off the shelf components, you just have the hastel of getting OS X installed.
    How would it outspec the mac pro if you used off the shelf components? You'd have to go with Xeon processors, which aren't cheap, a motherboard capable of running 2 of em, high quality RAM, a decent graphics card, comparable hard disks etc...

Personally, I've always thought that for what you pay, you always get high spec machines. Mac's aren't that much more expensive, and in many situations are actually cheaper.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    It's been a while since I've been bored enough wind up Misco's or Insights servers by building an expensive shopping cart I've got no intention to buy, but...

The last time I tried I'm pretty sure I came out with a slightly higher spec for a couple of grand less. Sorry don't have the specifics and prices/components changed since the last time I looked. But apple hardware is overpriced - very good quality, best designs, reliable - but overpriced. And that's coming from a Mac fanboy!

Thank Post
    The article seems to be suggesting that Apples's margin on selling their products is 35% and that a move to 30% profit margin equates to major price cuts. If that's a reduction from 35-30 in margin per item, how does that equate to agressive price cutting ?....and does that make them any less of a premium pricing offering over pc's than they are at the moment.

The writer of the article, actually listed the fact that their pricing strategy is still enabling them to increase sales and market share - now i'm not saying they won't reduce prices, just that they'll reduce them only marginally. Purely because they don't need to cut aggresively at the moment.

If you look at apples product lineup, the mac mini's is already aggresively priced, the imacs are one of the few all-in-ones on the market hence the price ranges of the models offered. The notebooks are the most interesting product group and sales haven't taken a dip despite the netbooks, atom devices, and the raft of budget laptops.

Apple will be releaseing their own atom based product, but they'd have to be careful where they pitched it in respect to the Air....the Air is the closest they have to the ultraportable laptops and netbooks....an atom based apple device would be designed and marketed so as not to steal customers away from the air....alternatively, and this is what i'm hoping they do, consolidate the macbook, macbook air and macbook pro into a single notebook line with a lower entry point price wise (this would probably be a 13.3 or 14.1 inch model), dispense with the 15 inch model in favour of a premium priced 17inch notebook at the higher end AND reduce the price of the next version of the macbook air or release a 10 inch netbook at or under 500 (with 2 usb ports preferably) .... unfortunately it looks likely the atom-based mac is likely to be a cross between a MID and a tablet, it'll probably be cheaper than other apple portables but won't address the netbook market where HP and Dell have now moved into.

A 10 inch apple atom netbook, similar in design to the air would be a massive seller if priced competitively.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by torledo View Post
    the imacs are one of the few all-in-ones on the market hence the price ranges of the models offered.
    You're not going to believe this but someone as actually, finally, managed to release a product that competes favorably with the iMac! Up to now the Sony and HP all-in-one's have been ugly and bulky and well laughable at!

But I was in PCW the other night and HP have a new Touchsmart that competes extremely well against the iMac! It's not without it problems, 32bit Vista (should be 64bit if they insist on Vista) instead of OS-X and thicker like the iMacs of 2/3 generations back (the PPC white ones) - but looks/spec/price wise it actually sits well against the iMac! Hats off to HP!

In a Server Room cutting through a forest of Cat5e
    Thank Post
    but it has a touchscreen attached to it so it isnt really competing in the same market. What about Dell's Studio Hybrid? I'm tempted.

I'm also tempted by the Air out of geeky pointlessness (even more so as I have the smaller, cheaper, MSI Wind)

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    If you look at the new Touchsmart, the touchscreen is a pure bonus. The design, size, price, specs all compete very favorably with the beloved iMac. I just looked at the Dell Hybrid Studio, interesting alternative to a Mac Mini if your really anti-OS-X. Again seems to only have the option of 32bit Windows, tut tut.

I still don't see the point of the Mac Air, the Mac Book is the same spec, cheaper and built CD. The MacBook Pro is the same price and faster.

The EeePC 901 with OS-X, now I'm very tempted in one of those!

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by tmcd35 View Post
    If you look at the new Touchsmart, the touchscreen is a pure bonus. The design, size, price, specs all compete very favorably with the beloved iMac. I just looked at the Dell Hybrid Studio, interesting alternative to a Mac Mini if your really anti-OS-X. Again seems to only have the option of 32bit Windows, tut tut.

I still don't see the point of the Mac Air, the Mac Book is the same spec, cheaper and built CD. The MacBook Pro is the same price and faster.

The EeePC 901 with OS-X, now I'm very tempted in one of those!
    Yes, but the macbook pro and macbook fill different functions imo....to me the air marries to two best features from the macbook pro and macbook....the brushed metal shell of the air taking cues from the pro (although i believe diffrent metals may be used - alu-magnesium for the air and titanium for the pro) and the keyboard and compactness of the macbook.

The macbooks use of plastic i think will be replaced in future revisions in favour of a lightweight metal alloy...hence my hopes of a merging of the product lines. So the trouble with the macbook is that it is imo a design that's going to date very quickly.

I myself am left puzzled as to why apple didn't just roll out a 12inch version of the macbook pro - but i belive this goes back to what i said in a previous thread about a 12inch macbook pro potentially cannabilizing the 13.3 macbook in sales - as there would inevitably not be a substantial price difference. The macbook pro keyboard i hope will be going aswell in favour of the vaio-esque keyboard as found on the macbook and air. So the macbook pro design needs a refresh aswell, meaning the air's keyboard, trackpad and screen make it the best desgined apple notebook ergonomically.

i love the air, it's a joy to use, although you are constantly in fear of it receiving a knock and it does get very hot - no surprise. also it's so thin finding the usb port often means lifting the whole thing up..that's very fiddly. I do think it should have remained a concept, the fact it's a premium ultraportable means i'm concerned that there won't be an affordable ultraportable from apple in the near future that isn't as bonkers as the air. One thing i do belive they did right is choice of processor on the air....if they went with an atom or via processor it would run like a dog, not sure about a regular core2 ulv, but i'm guessing the core2 ulv's weren't small enough for the form factor of the air anyway.

This is what apple need to do....come out with their MID/tablet (8"inch screen), release a netbook based on a speedier atom processor (10" screen with no CD/DVD) priced no more than 500 that weighs up to 1.5kgs, scrap the macbook air...SSD options and wireless working would be available in the cheaper netbook....Merge the macbook and macbook pro lines with a laptop that looks like the air, except more practical i.e firewire and superdrive....with 13.3inch and 17 inch screen size options. Weight of the 13.3inch model should kept down to between 2.0 kg and 2.3kg depending on options specfified.
    Prices should start at 700 going up to 1500 tops for the fully specced 17inch model with bluray drive.

So we have the macbook 10, macbook 13.3 and macbook 17... Priced from 500-1500 and with each having features that appeal to a different type of user.

Not gonna happen though.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,255 Times in 786 Posts
    Blog Entries
    There has been talk of a touchscreen/tablet based mac in the works. but apple rumours do tend to get away with themselves...

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast