+ Post New Thread
Mac Thread, Mac Purchase in Technical; Hi all new around here so hopefully someone can offer good advice. The story is just 3 months ago I ...

Thank Post

Smile Mac Purchase

Hi all new around here so hopefully someone can offer good advice.

The story is just 3 months ago I hated all things mac! Now a few months later I have learned to love the MacBook Pro I use almost daily at my work.

I am wanting to purchase a standard MacBook - but, I have heard rumours that Apple and updating them next month so I am unsure whether or not to wait until the newer version is released.

Any advice is welcome, Thanks!

Andy

Thank Post
    Welcome to the Mac community

A good rule of thumb for a major Apple purchase (like a laptop or desktop) that you think may be updated soon is "if you need it now, buy it now" and if you can wait, then simply wait.

We still have a G4 series laptop and it runs Leopard great and still moves nicely for the tasks it is there for- internet, basic photo editing, small movies, and email etc. If it fits the purpose, no need to purchase a new one.

I recently got a 2.4GHz MacBook (Black Edition) and it's great. I can't imagine needing all the new power that could (theoretically) be released with the next edition, so for me the rule of thumb said "buy now".

Good luck with your investment. I don't think you will be sad that you moved so easily to Apple hardware and software

Paul

Thank Post
    Thanks for the good advice kingswood.
    The thing is I can wait and I need to wait, I was already looking at purchasing in August time so wouldnt be a big problem. Would you now suggest wait?
    And everyone hates buying something shiny and new and then it being updated within hours (not quite but you know what I mean!) of using it!

Andy

Thank Post

Thank Post
    Hi - Conincidently I was just looking at that page literally seconds ago.
    Doesnt really help as it says its in the middle of the cycle but I wont be buying for at least a month or so - so im thinking it may be better just to wait.

Andy

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by andylyon View Post
    I am wanting to purchase a standard MacBook - but, I have heard rumours that Apple and updating them next month so I am unsure whether or not to wait until the newer version is released.
    As pointed out above, older Apple hardware is often just as good as the latest, snazziest kit. I've been wanting a Mac Mini ever since they came out, but have only just gotten around to getting one. New they're £400 with no screen, but in the end I bought an older model off eBay for £200 with screen included. Does absolutely everything a brand new Mac Mini could do, as far as I can figure out.

--
    David Hicks

Thank Post
    I'd avoid anything that isn't an intel mac, especially if you want to do any disk/network imaging. Installing over the network is much slower on g4s and 5s, hours instead of minutes of the intels.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by DMcCoy View Post
    I'd avoid anything that isn't an intel mac, especially if you want to do any disk/network imaging. Installing over the network is much slower on g4s and 5s, hours instead of minutes of the intels.
    The mac is just for personal use and it will def be one of the newer Intel ones

Andy

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,259 Times in 790 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Its worth thinking about what you wanna do with it too, as with any machine.

If you wanna do much video/sound work I'd recommened saving the extra and getting the macbook pro. Its much nicer to work on final cut/pro tools with that extra grunt behind you.

That said, if you just want web/documents

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Domino View Post
    Its worth thinking about what you wanna do with it too, as with any machine.

If you wanna do much video/sound work I'd recommened saving the extra and getting the macbook pro. Its much nicer to work on final cut/pro tools with that extra grunt behind you.

That said, if you just want web/documents
    Thats a good point.

I dont want to do much audio/video but I will be doing - just not in great quantities. If I do have to I have access to a macbook pro daily at work. It will just be used mainly for web access. Hopefully it will become my main machine after a while replacing my much loved and flawless acer aspire that was the best purchase (computer wise) I ever made!

Andy

PS. Also just read this morning on MacRumours about a possible refresh of the macbook lines.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread