+ Post New Thread
Mac Thread, Mac Pro Questions in Technical; Two things that I need more info on. 1. Getting front row ( more specifically getting front row to work ...

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,123 Times in 1,025 Posts

Question Mac Pro Questions

Two things that I need more info on.

1. Getting front row ( more specifically getting front row to work with an IR remote and IR sensor ) to work on the mac pro.

I found this :

Griffin Technology: AirClick USB

However I obvoiusly need to know where to purchase this from, short of that how would I get an apple remote to work with an IR sensor that I could possibly make myself as have seen some home made type tutorials on how to make an IR sensor.

2. The second thing is why is the dvi to s video adaptor not compatable with the Nvidia 8800GT as per this article :

Mac Pro: Graphics card video compatibility with Apple DVI-to-video adapter

And if it does not work what possible solutions would I have to be able to output to a tv via s video?

Thank Post
    Did you purchase a new Mac Pro and configure it with the 8800GT, or did you buy an older Mac Pro with the NVIDIA card in it? I ask because had you trawled the store and forums first you would have noticed that the converter only works with ATI cards.

Here's something that might help though:

Computer to TV video adapter converter

As for your other question- I don't know. Perhaps someone else will. Making an IR receiever?? Not sure about that one- and I'm not sure that Front Row is worth all that pain. Why not get Apple TV and stream from your Mac Pro to the TV?

Paul

Thank Post

New Mac Pro

Will have the money in a month or two to get a new mac pro from apples store ( nothing 2nd hand ) - yes and am configuring it with an nvidia 8800GT

1. Yes I did realise that as per the article that shows that they are only compatible with the ATI cards ( seems a bit silly but w/e )

2. I have a 32" CRT 100hz JVC TV and am not sure the apple tv would give me the correct connections to allow me to connect to the JVC ( Could be wrong - correct me if I am wrong ) Will check that out though just in case.

3. I went ahead and have now got one of those Griffin airclick USB Infra Red sensor and remote so the infra red thing shouldn't be an issue.

Thanks for that link - will have to either see about getting an apple tv ( provided it has the correct connectors ) or that other video device you pointed out.

One other thing I am trying to find is a decent set of speakers for it that will be easy to hook up to the mac pro.

Don't need 5.1 or surround sound speakers just stereo but would be nice to have something with crisp clear audio.

Something like so :

http://store.apple.com/uk/product/TN...s&mco=MTg0NzEz

But obviously the above speakers dont have the correct connectors so am guessing I will require a decoder of some sort that has an optical in ?
    Last edited by mac_shinobi; 28th June 2008 at 10:04 AM.

Thank Post
    https://www.krcs.co.uk/shop/product/...remote-mac--pc

It states out of stock but if you like i can check to see if they are having any more in on Monday with Glyn. He's the educational sales guy.

Out of interest though. How come you chose the Mac Pro?

If you wanted the front row and remote why not go for the 24" iMac with top end graphics card. Not actually checked what th etop-end graphics card is though.

Hope the link helps though.

Thank Post
    Glyn is a great guy, and KRCS are our preferred Apple suppliers. An excellent team there Shane if you use them (especially for your school Apple network).

Paul

Thank Post

Mac Pro for myself

Hi

I chose the mac pro simply because you can upgrade ( not sure if thats the correct word - sounds to pc'ish ) the amount of RAM a lot more then you can on the imac ( This is for myself ) not the school.

I have already ordered the airclick griffen off of ebay ( so just waiting for it to be shipped )

I know front row comes with leopard so its just a case of possibly doing some editing as per the work arounds - which I may not have to do if it detects the ir sensor as a valid one that it can use for frontrow.

Other then that will be using parallels or vmware fusion or something to that extent to install 2 copys of server 2003 R2 so I can play around with trusts , group policys and anything else ( any suggestions would be good )

Was possibly thinking WDS as apposed to RIS - not sure if you can practise imaging on virtualised machines - so the imaging side might have to wait depending on if I can use the poweredge 830 that I have.

Thank Post
    If you are going to practice RIS then you will be better off using vmware Fusion as Parallels can't boot from a network device if you are doing complete VM environment that is. Unless someone knows that that is not the case and Parallels can do it to.

The iMacs can have up to 4GB RAM. Not as much as the Mac Pro but still a fair bit. You just need to bare in mind the noise of the Mac Pro. I have not heard one running but i have heard a G5 dual processor and when its quiet its fine but when the fans kicked in you needed to leave the room.

But i do still love my G5. The only down-side to it is that it isn't an Intel processor.

There was a site somewhere that hacked the Front Row installation but its been a while since i checked on their progress.

Thank Post

vmware fusion it is then

unless someone else can confirm about imaging using parallels then I think I may go with vmware fusion.

I have been around a few mac pro's the older ones ( the first intel ones released ) and they dont seem too noisy. Not heard them when the fans kick in though - so could be wrong.

I wonder if they will release an 8800GTX or GTS ( cant remember which one ) the faster one basically for the mac pro.

Also with the mac pro you can obviously add more hard drives to it without having external hard drives sitting all over ya desk and still leaves ya firewire ports and usb ports free

Got a raptor 74gb hdd if its still working by the time I get my mac pro so that would be nice for the boot drive

Thank Post
    Should be a quick booting machine with the raptor in :-)

I looked for the front row hack but it seems as the site is no longer there.

I found this site though:
    Eric & Jaime’s Blog Apple Front Row Hack Surfaces

It also has a link to an app called romeo which allows control of front row and others using a bluetooth phone.

It also has mirrors of the front row download. What version though i'm not sure as it needed to be updated with each revision apple made.

Thank Post

iphone 3g

Am getting the new iphone when it comes out ( say what you like its not gonna make me change my mind )

so the bluetooth control will be welcome

Thank Post
    Heck i ain't saying nothing. I have the first one and love it.

I will too be getting the new one and the missus is having the old one.

I don't know how the bluetooth works on the iphne though as i have never tried to connect to anything. Hmm, maybe i should. But i did hear that it can't connect to many devices.

Thank Post
    ah well - still getting the griffin airclick so shouldnt be an issue hopefully. I couldn't afford the new one out right at 270 quid or w/e it was on top of the contract price.

Thank Post
    Neither could I.

Good Luck with the Mac Pro anyway. :-)

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread