+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Mac Thread, Sims on mac? in Technical; Over the summer we are having our lovely ( ) mac suite installed and during this time our head of ...
    Thank Post

Sims on mac?

Over the summer we are having our lovely () mac suite installed and during this time our head of art will be getting a mac to replace his pc.

My main concerns have been ignored by all so I need to find out what he would need minimum to access sims from his machine.

Could I use parallels with Sims on that or would I have to go the bootcamp way?

Is anybody doing this at present?

Thanks

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,469 Times in 1,913 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Yep, I have parallels with XP running in it so I can use my windows apps on my MBP. This includes SIMS.net. Bear in mind that you'd need a full Windows XP Pro retail license for it though. (Or so I was told by our suppliers, who said it couldn't be OEM).

Thank Post
    works fine with Volume Licensing install discs

Thank Post
    Mehh, we don't have volume licensing here so gonna have to buy the full license.
    I really miss volume licensing, it was soooooo convenient.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,717 Times in 2,302 Posts
    Blog Entries
    You would still need a liscence for the Mac even if you had volume, all Windows OS liscences under volume are upgrades. You must have a CAL for a version of Windows on the machine or you are in breach of your agreement. Same deal for Schools deal volume.

So to be legal you are stuck with full retail, I would present the bill for it to Art as it needed specifically to make their specialized gear compatible with school wide software. The rest of the school should not be peanalised for the art departments benefit.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by SYNACK View Post
    You would still need a liscence for the Mac even if you had volume, all Windows OS liscences under volume are upgrades. You must have a CAL for a version of Windows on the machine or you are in breach of your agreement. Same deal for Schools deal volume.

So to be legal you are stuck with full retail, I would present the bill for it to Art as it needed specifically to make their specialized gear compatible with school wide software. The rest of the school should not be peanalised for the art departments benefit.
    That's what I thought, but I think OS X counts as a qualifying upgrade OS with vol license, with the exception that you don't have to stop using OS X too.

With boot camp then only one os is running, however I've found details that state that using a VM is ok too, although you will need enterprise VL when using vista.

Thank Post
    In order to qualify for the Microsoft®Windows®XP upgrade you must have acquired one of the following underlying licenses:
    -Windows®2000 Professional
    -Windows NT®Workstation 4.0 or 3.51
    -Windows®98, Windows®95, Windows®Millennium Edition, and Windows®XP Home Edition
    -Windows 3.x, Windows for Workgroups 3.x
    -IBM®OS/2®
    -Apple®Macintosh®
    -UNIX®: SCO (Xenix, UnixWare®), Hewlett-Packard (HP-UX), IBM (AIX®, 4680/90), Digital™(Ultrix™, OSF/1, Digital UNIX®), or SGI®(IRIX®)

Thank Post
    Another option to consider might be terminal services.

Thank Post
    I have parallels running SIMs but then again i do have a Macbook Pro which you would expect it to handle a bit of a load. But when i worked at my last job they had macbooks with parallels and it was quite painful in terms of how slow it ran.

Ross

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by DMcCoy View Post
    That's what I thought, but I think OS X counts as a qualifying upgrade OS with vol license, with the exception that you don't have to stop using OS X too.

Interesting, I had not caught up with that, thanks.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,469 Times in 1,913 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Can we have a source for OS X being a suitable underlying license? I had been told the exact opposite by a microsoft licensing partner.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    heres a pdf that is informative:
    http://www.usitek.com/throughSBfinal.pdf

It does appear that once you have used a volume license though it is non transferable from that machine so any new machine needs a new volume license to be purchased for it to be legal. ( lame)
    http://download.microsoft.com/downlo...a7/os_reqs.doc

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by SYNACK View Post
    heres a pdf that is informative:
    http://www.usitek.com/throughSBfinal.pdf

It does appear that once you have used a volume license though it is non transferable from that machine so any new machine needs a new volume license to be purchased for it to be legal. ( lame)
    http://download.microsoft.com/downlo...a7/os_reqs.doc
    If the original is a OEM, yes. Although in the case of something like the schools agreement you can add/remove workstation licenses within the license period, just have to do a current count each renewal.

I believe that the upgrade vol license inherits the base license properties of the original, FPP or OEM, I think you can move one's put on FPP around.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,727 Times in 1,490 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by DMcCoy View Post
    In order to qualify for the Microsoft®Windows®XP upgrade you must have acquired one of the following underlying licenses:
    -Windows®2000 Professional
    -Windows NT®Workstation 4.0 or 3.51
    -Windows®98, Windows®95, Windows®Millennium Edition, and Windows®XP Home Edition
    -Windows 3.x, Windows for Workgroups 3.x
    -IBM®OS/2®
    -Apple®Macintosh®
    -UNIX®: SCO (Xenix, UnixWare®), Hewlett-Packard (HP-UX), IBM (AIX®, 4680/90), Digital™(Ultrix™, OSF/1, Digital UNIX®), or SGI®(IRIX®)

Do you have the original source of this quote please? It will be handy for feature reference.

Thank Post
    Hmm, Microsoft docs say different to MS license people (as usual)

Document Search

It's a loooooong way down, (Windows® Vista Business Upgrade Operating System (OS) Upgrade License)

Customers who wish to install or run more than one licensed OS at one time (including the qualifying OS), may either:
    acquire Software Assurance for their VL Upgrade license, or
    purchase full Windows Vista licenses separately. We do not offer full OS licenses in Volume Licensing.

Customers that have active Software Assurance coverage do not need to uninstall the qualifying OS and may install and run the qualifying OS and Windows Vista at the same time.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information