+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Mac Thread, Macs for Music Tech in Technical; We don't. They can see all shares, but can only access those that they have permission to access as they ...
    Thank Post
    We don't. They can see all shares, but can only access those that they have permission to access as they log on to the macs with their usual AD credentials. We've just gone thru and removed permissions for relevant shares where necessary.

Thank Post
    Just installed my second suite of 10 iMacs (must go and check they've finished imaging) and have 11 more iMacs to image and all will be nice and shiny

We have just bought Logic Pro Studio (site license is dirt cheap!!!) and I must say it looks amazing. I haven't got a clue how it works mind

Only niggle, if you can call it that, is that the install of Logic Pro Studio is 40+GB!!!!

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Ric_ View Post
    Only niggle, if you can call it that, is that the install of Logic Pro Studio is 40+GB!!!!
    I've never looked/seen/played with that software before but since its a music program i'm guessing it has a demo mixes, sound effects and such, what is why it would be soo big.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by p858snake View Post
    I've never looked/seen/played with that software before but since its a music program i'm guessing it has a demo mixes, sound effects and such, what is why it would be soo big.
    I'm sat installing it on the second build of iMac. There's six dual-layer DVDs containing loops, mixes, samples, etc. on top of the dual-layer discs for the program and 'demos'. Part of the audio content is additional content for Garageband too.

On the upside, there's no stoopid dongley bobbins (and for £1200 I get to install it on up to 500 machines!).

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,069 Times in 934 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Ric_ View Post
    On the upside, there's no stoopid dongley bobbins (and for £1200 I get to install it on up to 500 machines!).
    Slight overkill for your site there then Ric, perhaps many other local schools will become part of your establishment as "outreach" sites

Sounds lovely and shiny now your Mac stuff, managed to delay mine again thankfully as we need to focus on fixing other major issues, like the 130 PCs that need replacing!

Thank Post
    Only niggle, if you can call it that, is that the install of Logic Pro Studio is 40+GB!!!
    A significant chunk of that should be the virtual instrument sample sets... I run Native Instrument's "The Grand" on PC here, which is a single Grand Piano VSTi, and it's sample set for that one instrument is spanned across 4x CDs... Mainstage comes with an arsenal of such things.

Thank Post
    Re: Logic's huge install - is there a way for it to access all the instruments/samples/loops off a network share? Because it's going to take about a day to image one machine with an image that size! (And we've got 50 new iMacs that need it)
    At present I've installed it without all that stuff, hoping to fidn a solution later.

Thank Post
    Wouldn't advise it - one class all using it on multitrack arrangements with virtual instruments would saturate network bandwidth due to quality of samplesets. Latency of the network could cause problems with realtime playback also (stuttering etc).

Thank Post
    Fair enough. I'll have to find out exactly which bits they need.
    How do you setup multiple machines with Logic at your place?

Thank Post
    We don't, we use Cubase & a pile of separate VSTi's... but each machine has it's own local install. Servers are simply used for data storage of profiles/user docs. If we DID run Logic, it'd still be the same... full install locally per iMac, dished out using NetRestore, generally done at half-term. If it's taking a day to do a single image to a single machine, something's amiss. I can deploy a netrestore image comprising of 120Gb of data to a new iMac and have it done entirely inside an hour or so...

Might be worth installing TheDude (from Microtik - s'free) and setting it up to monitor dataspeed of all links between X-Serve & Switch and iMacs & switch. When we're doing a complete suite reimage, EVERY link is max'd end to end.
    Last edited by Marci; 20th October 2009 at 12:20 PM.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12