+ Post New Thread
Mac Thread, For those using leopard: CS3/CS2 and 10.5.3 in Technical; Dont update to 10.5.3 if your students save directly to file servers. see: Incompatibly between CS3 and Mac OSX 10.5.3 ...
    Thank Post

For those using leopard: CS3/CS2 and 10.5.3

Thank Post
    I've just updated my servers to 10.5.3 because if fixes two major AFP crash issues. However, my clients are all still 10.4, so hopefully I'll be ok!

Thank Post
    i think its on the client anyway as it happens over smb and afp

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by gaz350 View Post
    i think its on the client anyway as it happens over smb and afp
    It is. Officially Adobe have never really supported saving files across a network, so saving .psd files across to your Xserve or Apple Server will end in corrupt files that either cannot be opened again or if you can open them will only save again once.

The header file of the .psd file is missing critical data during the save across the network, and this could be a case of Photoshop files being large and SMB/AFP connections timing out etc before the file has fully saved- hence some of the saves have an error inside the header file to the effect that the save didn't complete properly.

What's the solution then?

Save locally and then copy via the Finder when you have time.

Simple.

Works every time for me.

From the Adobe forums on saving to network drives:

Adobe Forums - 10.5.3, Photoshop CS3 Saving Server Files

Solution?

Version Cue.

Hope this helps some,

Paul

Thank Post
    The problem is students will try and save to the file server directly. The point is it worked before the update and updating clients to 10.5.3 will nuke students work, hence the warning.

from what i heard Version Cue is not very easy to setup for 800+ students and the mayhem that would follow should you allow them to save locally.......

Thank Post
    Exactly, saving locally isn't an option, and its about time adobe got serious about supporting standard setups that are now common. Not that this is necessarily their fault this time, but just saying no network files is not acceptable. It doesn't for example tell me this huge limitation when I buy it does it?

Thank Post
    The problem is students will try and save to the file server directly. The point is it worked before the update and updating clients to 10.5.3 will nuke students work, hence the warning.

from what i heard Version Cue is not very easy to setup for 800+ students and the mayhem that would follow should you allow them to save locally.......
    Agreed- all I was doing was passing along some hints as to how you can work around the issue rather than waiting for Adobe and Apple to pull their collective fingers out of their individual pies. Version Cue isn't easy to set up, but from what I have heard is a good product.

Saving locally most certainly may be the *only* option until and unless a fix is carried out, and in fact I know lots of design studios that *only* save this kind of stuff locally because of the history with Adobe and network shares!

It's a bit like saving movie project files across the network before they are finalised: you can of course do it, and it works, but it isn't the best thing in the world to do.

Anyway- take it or leave it

Thank Post
    Actually (imo) the only option for education is to stay on 10.5.2 unless you have a bigger bug to squash that is fixed in 10.5.3. its a big problem for apple, this is their core business(designers) that they have hurt so expect a fix fairly soon.

I wouldn't say its like working on a movie file across the network(InDesign maybe due to it constantly saving temp files). photoshop works locally in RAM and only interacts with the network when you hit the Save button.

Thank Post
    Actually (imo) the only option for education is to stay on 10.5.2 unless you have a bigger bug to squash that is fixed in 10.5.3. its a big problem for apple, this is their core business(designers) that they have hurt so expect a fix fairly soon.

I wouldn't say its like working on a movie file across the network(InDesign maybe due to it constantly saving temp files). photoshop works locally in RAM and only interacts with the network when you hit the Save button.
    Well, it's not the *only* option because as I pointed out there are workarounds for those who find this is impacting teaching and learning in a big way. But it is certainly an idea if you don't have the option of saving locally at all and so need the thing to work as it did (even though Adobe's official line is that it isn't supported- whatever that means).

During the 10.5.3 seeding cycle why didn't the Adobe engineers catch this one and nail it before it got out in the wild? Unless Adobe engineers don't test their applications in common environments (like networks). As I said- BOTH companies need to pull their fingers out of their pies on this one and get a fix to customers.

And for the doubters-

Photoshop crashes when you open files from or save files to a network volume (CS and CS2 on Mac OS X v10.4.6)

Paul

Thank Post
    wait for 10.5.4 small update. it would seem problem already fixed and will probably be released soonish

Macsimum News - Mac OS X 10.5.4 to deal with Adobe CS3 file corruption

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread