+ Post New Thread
Mac Thread, os x server 10.5.2 book ? in Technical; looking on compman.co.uk for an os x server 10.5.2 ( Leopard os x server ) book wanted to know if ...

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,030 Times in 955 Posts

os x server 10.5.2 book ?

looking on compman.co.uk for an os x server 10.5.2 ( Leopard os x server ) book

wanted to know if anyone could recomend a book to me.

As have come unstuck on how to get a desktop wallpaper applied to students , have created the different year in take groups and added the relevant students to each group and have also added the managedclient.app to each group using the details tab.

Have then gone and modified the manifest file to have background and put in the relevant info but to no avail.

There are a few other issues I am having as well. So thought it best if I got a book.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by gecko View Post
    looking on compman.co.uk for an os x server 10.5.2 ( Leopard os x server ) book

wanted to know if anyone could recomend a book to me.

As have come unstuck on how to get a desktop wallpaper applied to students , have created the different year in take groups and added the relevant students to each group and have also added the managedclient.app to each group using the details tab.

Have then gone and modified the manifest file to have background and put in the relevant info but to no avail.

There are a few other issues I am having as well. So thought it best if I got a book.
    Hi Shane,

Firstly, there is no sure-fire way of assigning wallpaper to groups in OS X Server (meaning you can do it but it may not work). The same is true for screensavers- there has been an issue with the com.apple.screensaver.ByHost managed preference for a while. It may have been fixed since 10.5.2 but I haven't checked. There have also been people on various forums with problems setting wallpaper. Perhaps someone on here has found that it works and will let you know how?

The (only?) best book(s) on OS X Server out there at the moment are the Apple server manuals on the support web site, and of course the Server Essentials study guide from Peachpit Press. The latter is for studying towards the ACTC. I tend to use the PDF documents the most (they also get revised quite often). The Server Essentials book will not tell you how to do things like set wallpaper or screensavers (I can say that because I am studying it right now).

What other issues are you having?

Paul

Thank Post
    Can't recommend a book but here's some things to watch out for:

1) When you enable SSL on Open Directory no certificates are accepted. (AFP548 - SSL and LDAP in Leopard)

2) If you enable all the OD security options, no Apple apps can talk to it any more, it's that secure!

3) Rebuild in the RAID section of disk managment is currently broken

4) Sharing printers doesn't actually share them. You need to publish it manually (Apple - Support - Discussions - Print Server ...)

5) OD replication with SSL is broken. UI has changed but some options were removed that you still need to configure as the automatic setting is not currently working.

6) You can't login after another user if your home folder mount point is on another share point (such as Server\03, Server\04 for me) you have to reboot between each user. This is due to automount not letting go of the mount on logout. I've been testing fixing this by disabling network automount (the home folder is still mounted for AD users).

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,030 Times in 955 Posts

no SSL enabled here

Got a direct link with no SSL enabled or configured on the os x server.

Also cant get rid of the time machine, bluetooth or airport icons in the menu at the top right as students seem to enjoy messing about with those and transffering files between there phones and the imacs ( just what we needed - not )

So anything on how to disable that would be good.

We only have 14 machines so If I can do it locally on the macs I dont mind with regards to the wallpaper and screen saver options.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by gecko View Post
    Got a direct link with no SSL enabled or configured on the os x server.

Also cant get rid of the time machine, bluetooth or airport icons in the menu at the top right as students seem to enjoy messing about with those and transffering files between there phones and the imacs ( just what we needed - not )

So anything on how to disable that would be good.

We only have 14 machines so If I can do it locally on the macs I dont mind with regards to the wallpaper and screen saver options.
    OK.

To disable Airport (assuming you aren't using wireless with these Macs) and Bluetooth do the following:

1. In WGM (Workgroup Manager) select the Computer Group you want to manage.
    2. Click the Preferences button on the toolbar.
    3. Click Network.
    4. Click Sharing & Preferences
    5. There are three options-select "Always" and disable Internet Sharing, Airport, and Bluetooth. Click "Apply Now" and then "Done".

That should do it. On my test LAN that worked fine for me. Of course you could also control this on each machine, but that would be a bit tedious!

You could also try to lock down the preferences on the local machines using "dscl" and targeting the following attributes:

com.apple.MCXAirport
    DisableAirport
    Always

and for BT:

com.apple.MCXBluetooth
    DisableBluetooth
    Always

More info here:

System Administrator Self Help OS X

I would try the MCX method first (from the server) and then if that doesn't work look at the local options in addition to MCX on the server.

Just a thought.

Paul

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread