+ Post New Thread
Mac Thread, osx 10.4 clients failing to print to oki c3400 in Technical; We appear to be having problems with osx clients printing to an oki c3400 network printer. Have downloaded the correct ...
    Thank Post

osx 10.4 clients failing to print to oki c3400

We appear to be having problems with osx clients printing to an oki c3400 network printer.

Have downloaded the correct drivers and installed them on our osx server and setup the printer as a network printer in Printer setup utility, and started the print queue service in server admin.

We then setup a managed preference for the osx clients to see the printer.
    Clients see the printer connection, and when we try and print from say safari the online/status light flashes briefly beofre the amber warning light flashes. No print jobs come out just an 'invalid data received' message.

tbh i'm not sure we've setup the print queue and client printing correctly, as this is the first time we've tried to setup a printer on osx server for osx clients. No jobs appear to have been sent to the print queue so i'm wondering if the clients are trying to send directly to the printer and that's why it's throwing a wobbly.

Who knows ? And ideas appreciated.

Thank Post
    Does it support postscript? You aren't going to get very far with queues if it doesn't, at least thats my experience.

One thing you could try is printing directly, see if there is a bonjour/mDNS option to turn on for the printer so the macs can see it easily - I've used this for non postscript printers in the past as you can't choose the driver directly without it finding the printer itself.

I would also have to say that the managed prefs for printers really doesn't work, I tried for several months before giving up and adding the print server queues to each client instead. Sometimes it did work, but not consistantly enough.

Thank Post
    @dmccoy thanks for the info....

I did what you suggested and bypassed managed preferences printer delpoyment and just installed oki supplied postcript drivers directly on a client, and the print jobs went through without a problem.

I was under the impression the managed preferences print setup would enable the clients to pull down the appropriate drivers locally, but it doesn't appear to work like that.

Is there any way i can deploy this drivers centrally, i'm thinkng ARD 3 although the trouble is the oki drivers don't come with a .pkg so the only thing i can do is copy the vise installer to the apps folder on each machine and then run on copy.

Thank Post
    The difficulty I had was that managed prefs often didn't pick the driver even when it was installed locally too, although that may be fixed now. Other issues are things like defaut paper size are not set by managed prefs, even on local printers they are a per user setting. I currently copy a printing pref file to the users home folder when they login to make printers use A4.

5. Thanks to DMcCoy from:

torledo (11th April 2008)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by DMcCoy View Post
    The difficulty I had was that managed prefs often didn't pick the driver even when it was installed locally too, although that may be fixed now. Other issues are things like defaut paper size are not set by managed prefs, even on local printers they are a per user setting. I currently copy a printing pref file to the users home folder when they login to make printers use A4.
    oh dear, doesn't appear as if that issue with manage preferences is fixed.

I installed the drivers locally on each machine, tried with both computer and user group base preferences....locked down clients see the correct printer.

But same problem with invalid data being received by the printer. I suspect it's exatly the problem you describe with managed preferences not picking the correct driver.

wonder if my only option is to just setup the printer during next image build creation. The managed preference bug doesn't appear to have been fixed. Sod it i'm just going to insist users look under bonjour when they need to print.
    Last edited by torledo; 11th April 2008 at 02:01 PM.

Thank Post
    Adding it to the image was exactly what I did, before that I sent my assistant to change it :P

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread